DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
damn, why are these meetings always on weekends we have guest visiting! I guess I will have to catch everyone next time.

But a bit of good news, because I am lazy and hate going to multiple maps to find charging stations, I decided to make a google map with all known locations of charging stations in the metroplex.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211891722519472891922.0004a754eab81f5c0cf11&msa=0&ll=32.916485,-96.860962&spn=1.49404,2.90863

A couple of things for explanation, firstly I only included those places in the metropolitan planning area defined by TCEQ and NCTCOG, which includes dallas, tarrant, and pretty much the surrounding counties. So if you live in Cooke county or something, sorry I didn't go that far up.

As for a legend, I tried to make the icons as easy as possible:

Company
Blue = Blink chargers (no membership card required, but you can get one of their RFID cards if you become a member, which is free)
Red = ChargePoint chargers (membership RFID card required)
Green = eVgo chargers (mobile or complete membership monthly plan required for fob)
Yellow = Independent (no cards are membership, owned by the company that placed it)

When placing markers, I put the highest level charger there (so if it had one level 2 and one level 1, I listed it graphically as a level 2). For those places supporting Level 1, it had to be a dedicated Level 1, not just a random outdoor plug. This happens either if its part of a charger (like chargepoint) or if the place specifically has identified these spots as EV charging spots by signs, paint markings, gates, etc.

Charger Level
Bubble with Dot = Level 3 CHAdeMO DC quick charge port
Bubble = Level 2 J1772 port
Pin Tack = Level 1 NEMA 5-20R

If anyone has more stations to list or to correct any of the ones I posted, please send me a message or post here so I can make those corrections. I will try and keep track of new stations as they come online.

Great map Pipcecil! I have been trying to find an iPhone app that will let me update charge stations. None of them have all of the local spots. You have done what I have been wanting to do. Now to visit all of the charge stations.
Sorry the meetings fall on the second weekend of the month. This one is a good one to bring non-EVers to. The Market is a great event with lots of food for sale from local vendors and farms, and art that is made by the vendor artisans. So while you are talking boring EV stuff, the other folks can spend at least an hour poking around the vendor booths.
Next month the meeting moves up to the first weekend of August on the 6th. We have been invited back to Bankston for another EV day. They are inviting cars from all of their dealerships including the Chevy Volt.
More on that later.

I went by the chargepoint EVSE in Vitruvian Park. There was a Volt charging. The funny thing is that I have seen both a Volt and a Tesla Roadster in the past week, but I have not seen any Leafs in the area.
IMG_0225.jpg

Neato! its good to at least verify these stations are actually there, haha. As for me, I have seen two Tesla Roadsters, both on the DNT, one that Very Orange color and another one that was yellow. I have only seen one Volt in the wild and that was actually a dealership test model that the dealership guy was driving around (had all the nice Volt stickers on the side). Besides a visit to our dealership for a dinner thing, I have yet to see a LEAF out on the road. A couple of times I think I see one wiz by, but I can't confirm it. I am pretty sure my weekday trips don't have any LEAFs on that route, when my wife takes the car to her work, I am sure she probably may cross paths with one, but she usually only takes it once per week.

We tried out the free charging at Half Price Books on Saturday. There are two EV spaces, but unfortunately only one charger. A Volt was using the power so we decided to run some other errands and return later. Three hours later we returned and the Volt was still hogging the power. We talked to the store manager who had the owners paged (first time they had received that request). The owners were friendly and happy to share the power with us (with a Leaf, they said, we need it more than they do). Until recently this charging station has sat empty but now it's getting active use.

283103_545849722086_146501028_31156235_6386546_n.jpg

shay said:
I went by the chargepoint EVSE in Vitruvian Park. There was a Volt charging. The funny thing is that I have seen both a Volt and a Tesla Roadster in the past week, but I have not seen any Leafs in the area.
IMG_0225.jpg

Is the charging station here in a public location, or is it for residents only? We too have seen several Volts but have yet to meet another Leaf on the road.

@dfwcre8tive All the chargepoint charging stations feature 2 chargers (hence the two spots). The normal Level 2 on the outside with the cord, but there is also a level 1 plug if you lift the door on the front below the LCD pannel, it reveals a socket to plug in your trickle charge into. All the chargepoint stations in DFW have this exact same setup. When I used the charger in Fairview at the Whole foods, they had two dedicated spots with the same setup. So next time, if you really feel like trickle charging, you do have that option if the level 2 is being used.

As for you one at the Vitruvian Park/Savoye Appartments, its my understanding it should be accessible to the plublic. ChargePoint list the plug as public as well as the DoE map. Maybe Shay can shed some light if it was publicly accessible.

Also, to note, I listed a Blink charger at The Ranch at Las Colinas on the map. I was going to visit them this weekend, but decided to call ahead to make sure. The charger is not finished construction yet, but is estimated in less than a month to be done.

Two Blink charging stations have been installed in Oak Cliff's Bishop Arts District. One space is right up front in the main parking lot, the other is a very narrow space about midway down the lot. Both spaces were occupied by non-EVs the last two times we visited the area, but I don't think the stations have been activated yet.

http://oakcliff.bubblelife.com/v/355100/4RZH0

scaled.php

Pipcecil said:
@dfwcre8tive All the chargepoint charging stations feature 2 chargers (hence the two spots). The normal Level 2 on the outside with the cord, but there is also a level 1 plug if you lift the door on the front below the LCD pannel, it reveals a socket to plug in your trickle charge into. All the chargepoint stations in DFW have this exact same setup. When I used the charger in Fairview at the Whole foods, they had two dedicated spots with the same setup. So next time, if you really feel like trickle charging, you do have that option if the level 2 is being used.

As for you one at the Vitruvian Park/Savoye Appartments, its my understanding it should be accessible to the plublic. ChargePoint list the plug as public as well as the DoE map. Maybe Shay can shed some light if it was publicly accessible.

Also, to note, I listed a Blink charger at The Ranch at Las Colinas on the map. I was going to visit them this weekend, but decided to call ahead to make sure. The charger is not finished construction yet, but is estimated in less than a month to be done.

I noticed the L1 plug behind the panel, so that makes sense that there are 2 spaces for each Chargepoint station (and good to know for a back-up). We were needing a faster boost at the time of our visit. Thanks for creating that map of all the charging locations!

I added the chargers for the bishop arts district and rechecked my source for the blink chargers an added another mcdonalds in bedford to the map. There are also two chargers I added with expected running in July, so I figured I might as well place them now, one at a mcdonalds in flower mound and other at the watters mall in allen. The hotel Palmor near mockingbird station is supposed to be offering vallet EV parking, but I don't know if they have chargers there (and how many). It may require me to call and figure it out.

The ranch at las colinas is supposed to have an active charger, so I will call again today...maybe I got someone stupid the first time.

dfwcre8tive said:
shay said:
IMG_0225.jpg

Is the charging station here in a public location, or is it for residents only? We too have seen several Volts but have yet to meet another Leaf on the road.
It is the open area of the parking garage so I assume that it is for anyone.

^ Good to know.

We tried out the new Blink station in a Deep Ellum parking lot. There are 2 stations (only one appeared to be working) shared between 4 spaces. It's in one of those $2 all day / $5 evening & weekend surface lots. We had a few conversations with interested people about EVs while we were giving it a try.

scaled.php

Any new locations for chargers in the area? I've spoken to several retailers who are interested in the technology (especially with Blink, where it costs next to nothing to install them). The West Village development has something in the works.

OK guys NTEAA is hosting another Electric car show at Bankston Nissan, this Saturday, August 6 from 10-2.
They invited us back to have all of their dealerships take part in this event. There should be plenty of Leafs there, maybe a couple of Chevy Volts and of course EV conversion cars to see.
Evgo and Blink reps will be there to answer any questions about charge stations and availability.
Anyone is welcome to attend to learn more about electric cars. Lunch will be provided. They should have some air conditioning available too! :D
The location is Bankston Nissan, 4707 Lyndon B Johnson Freeway Dallas, TX 75244
You can check our website for more info <www.nteaa.org>
Stay cool :ugeek:

I just got a call from Courtesy Nissan that there's a silver orphan available. If anyone's interested and looking, it might be worth checking out.

I just had my first Leaf sighting today. It was a silver Leaf leaving the shopping center in Plano (Central & Parker). The license that read MPG99.

So I participated in restaurant week and went to The Ranch at Las Colinas in Irving. My wife and I picked this place because it had Blink chargers (2) installed. Coming all the way from Midlothian, we definetely needed the charger if we were to get back home (its all highway driving). As a side note, the restaurant was really really good, and almost everything sold there is DFW local (local ice cream, local beef, etc.). Prices were not bad considering its more of a nicer place, normal plates ranged from $15-$35 (35 was for large steaks, etc.).

Anyways, when we arrived, low and behold, both charger spots were ICE'd! This was a bad situation considering that we wouldn't be able to get home without charging! The restaurant's first solution was to have us park in an adjacent handicap spot (charger split the handicap and a regular spot). There was no way I was going to take a handicap spot! Luckly the manager figured out one of the spots was taken by a cook's car so she asked him to move it and we got to charger there (yea!).

It really brings me to an odd delima. The EVSEs were labled as EV charging stations, but there wasn't a "parking for electric vehicles only" like ChargePoint puts with their chargers. This would lead me to believe that Blink chargers are more likely to get ICE'd. The hard part about it all, I really don't mind walking are parking in a way out of the way place to charge, but because of ease of installation most EVSEs are placed in really nice "prime" parking spots. Should there be enforcement of ICE'd spots? Is it justifyable when the EVSE rarely get used for that off chancee a plug-in comes along? Luckly for us, the chargers were near the front, but on the side so easy access for cooks for the kitchen, but a slightly out of the way for a customer.

I did notice something very specific about the use of the Blink chargers, although their website says no card is needed, but it makes using the infrastructure easier, this unit (and I am assuming probably all in the DFW area) had no way to activate without a card. To this measure, I did update the EVSE map legend that blink requires a card. In addition, there was no ability to pay on this unit. I know blink chargers are set up for optional pay, but it looks like they will only work by having an account setup and using the money pulling from your account you set up with them. ChargePoint chargers do the same, but each unit appears to be able to accept paypass type credit cards as well.

Finally, on our way to the restaurant, we saw a new blue leaf on US 67 at around Wheatland/Cockerell Hill. We waved to the couple, so if that was anyone on this forum, shoot me a message!

Pipcecil said:
...The EVSEs were labled as EV charging stations, but there wasn't a "parking for electric vehicles only" like ChargePoint puts with their chargers. This would lead me to believe that Blink chargers are more likely to get ICE'd...
I believe the signage to be completely up to the site owner, not ChargePoint or Blink. They have to follow local ordinances.

Pipcecil said:
Coming all the way from Midlothian, we definetely needed the charger if we were to get back home (its all highway driving).
How far is Midothian to Las Colinas? Unless Midothain is a lot further out than I think, it seems like you can charge to 100% and drive 55 to 60 to make it without recharging.

Back