Designated Residential EV Parking Spot?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevintylernelson

Hi,
I currently live in a townhouse with street parking and my charging cable can only reach my car if I'm parked in front of my house. Well tonight when I got home someone is parked in my spot and now I cannot charge my car and will be forced to use public charging tomorrow morning. Such an out of the way hassle!

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the county to install a designated EV parking spot? Just like those residential handicap spots disabled people get in front of their homes.

Well, except that you aren't handicapped and don't own the parking space... I suggest that you get a J-1772 extender cord, so you can reach three or four spaces.

LeftieBiker said:
Well, except that you aren't handicapped and don't own the parking space... I suggest that you get a J-1772 extender cord, so you can reach three or four spaces.

I get what you're saying, but until they have more public charging options or charging stations throughout the neighborhoods, this is a real problem. And an extender cord isn't going to work when you have to park a block away from your house like I did tonight.

I think the problem is "...someone is parked in my spot..." when you have no reserved spot. Even if you got the county to install a charger and even marked a spot on the street with green paint, someone will park their gas hog SUV in your spot. I don't see a way around this: You'll have to use public charging or move somewhere with a reserved spot where your EVSE will reach.

You don't own/rent the street parking, so doubtful the county/city will do anything to help you, essentially everyone else has the same right to park there as you do. If you want a guaranteed parking spot, you will need to obtain (probably by moving) some off street parking or a garage that you own or is part of your rental agreement.

Lets's see... Ask the govt to spend tax dollars to give you a charging station?... More like you should rent a garage spot in your neighborhood that has an outlet...

powersurge said:
Lets's see... Ask the govt to spend tax dollars to give you a charging station?... More like you should rent a garage spot in your neighborhood that has an outlet...

Let's see...I'm not asking the gov't for a charging station, I'm asking for the right to park in front of my own home so I can charge my car with my OWN outlet. This doesn't seem like a big issue, plenty of neighborhoods have numbered reserved parking spots in front of their townhouses. If you've ever lived in a townhouse than you'll know that it's an unspoken rule that the spot in front of your house belongs to you. Some people might not have the option of public charging that makes sense to their daily commute and require the ability to charge at home to make a living.

kevintylernelson said:
powersurge said:

Let's see...I'm not asking the gov't for a charging station, I'm asking for the right to park in front of my own home so I can charge my car with my OWN outlet. This doesn't seem like a big issue, plenty of neighborhoods have numbered reserved parking spots in front of their townhouses. If you've ever lived in a townhouse than you'll know that it's an unspoken rule that the spot in front of your house belongs to you. Some people might not have the option of public charging that makes sense to their daily commute and require the ability to charge at home to make a living.
Unspoken rule or not, you have no legal ownership or right to a public street parking spot, so that is what you have to deal with, reality. I would say that if public charging is not robust in your area, I would not recommend a BEV. A PHEV might be a better option, for someone without a guaranteed parking location. If your locality has numbered/reserved parking spots on public streets, then maybe there is some avenue for you to achieve the same, but there is no such thing around here.

kevintylernelson said:
... This doesn't seem like a big issue, plenty of neighborhoods have numbered reserved parking spots in front of their townhouses. If you've ever lived in a townhouse than you'll know that it's an unspoken rule that the spot in front of your house belongs to you.
Will be difficult to assure compliance with an unspoken rule.

If you want to limit others parking in the spot they need to be marked as being for particular townhouse and you need a government ordinance that enforces that with penalty for violation.

With the right ordinance the government will even have an offender towed.

And government will generate revenue stream from the very steep penalty fee to get the offending vehicle out of impound.

That is the only solution that might work somewhat successfully.

Of couse offenders may not be happy and may come back on a later day and damage your vehicle :shock:

Firetruck41 said:
kevintylernelson said:
powersurge said:

Unspoken rule or not, you have no legal ownership or right to a public street parking spot, so that is what you have to deal with, reality. I would say that if public charging is not robust in your area, I would not recommend a BEV. A PHEV might be a better option, for someone without a guaranteed parking location. If your locality has numbered/reserved parking spots on public streets, then maybe there is some avenue for you to achieve the same, but there is no such thing around here.

I'm also not asking for sole legal ownership or rights to a public street parking spot. I'm asking to make it an "EV only" parking spot, these are the same spots that you see in parking garages, store parking lots, and public streets in the city. Anyone would have the right to park in this spot as long as its an EV. So it would be entirely possible that I may very well lose out on the spot to another EV, but at least the odds would be on my side.

Couldn't hurt to ask. The problem you'll have is it's likely that there's no city ordinance covering this situation like there is for handicapped parking access. If you can't get anywhere with the bureaucracy, you should try contacting your city councilman (or alderman or whatever your representatives are called in your city). A politician can often get things done where you can't.

P.S. What's with all the hostility in this thread? Guy just wants to be able to charge at home. It may not happen but he's not a jerk for wanting it to.

kevintylernelson said:
... I'm asking to make it an "EV only" parking spot, these are the same spots that you see in parking garages, store parking lots, and public streets in the city. Anyone would have the right to park in this spot as long as its an EV. So it would be entirely possible that I may very well lose out on the spot to another EV, but at least the odds would be on my side.
The EV marked spots are NOT parking spots :shock:

They are EV charging spots.

If you got the goverment to mark it as such, the only thing the spot could be used for is charging :!:

An unfortunate lack of understanding that many people have about the EV marked spots :(

davewill said:
Couldn't hurt to ask. The problem you'll have is it's likely that there's no city ordinance covering this situation like there is for handicapped parking access. If you can't get anywhere with the bureaucracy, you should try contacting your city councilman (or alderman or whatever your representatives are called in your city). A politician can often get things done where you can't.

My sentiments exactly, I'm going to try calling the MVA this week and finding out. If that proves to be a dead end, then your suggestion of contacting the county councilman is a great idea.

davewill said:
P.S. What's with all the hostility in this thread? Guy just wants to be able to charge at home. It may not happen but he's not a jerk for wanting it to.

+1.

We all need to make this place a more welcoming place to new users.

Question for OP, is the parking a part of townhome or street parking (public). Sorry if I missed that detail. If it is part of the townhome it may be easier to approach the townhome association. In case it is street parking, (as davewill suggested) it won't hurt to talk to your local rep either.

davewill said:
No hostility from me.
Just trying to explain that what he is suggesting is NOT a solution.

And outline a solution that would have more chance to work.

Although even the solution I proposed has drawbacks.

davewill said:

Thank you! It's like people are treating this as a hate crime or something.

inphoenix said:
+1.

We all need to make this place a more welcoming place to new users.

Question for OP, is the parking a part of townhome or street parking (public). Sorry if I missed that detail. If it is part of the townhome it may be easier to approach the townhome association. In case it is street parking, (as davewill suggested) it won't hurt to talk to your local rep either.

I guess technically it's street parking, but we do have a townhome association. I mean, anyone is allowed to park anywhere they want, but these are definitely not main high traffic public streets. In fact, my neighbor across the street has a designated handicap spot situated between 2 handicap street signs, that's what gave me the idea in the first place.

kevintylernelson said:
I guess technically it's street parking, but we do have a townhome association. I mean, anyone is allowed to park anywhere they want, but these are definitely not main high traffic public streets. In fact, my neighbor across the street has a designated handicap spot situated between 2 handicap street signs, that's what gave me the idea in the first place.

Then I would ask the HOA for sure. You never know. Good luck.

davewill said:

No hostility here, but OP is asking a question about how his county handles this issue, but I see no information about what county, or even what State he lives in. So it's not surprising that he's getting generalized answers. In most people's situations his request doesn't seem to make sense. But we don't live in his state/county/neighborhood/HOA zone.

Nubo said:
davewill said:

No hostility here, but OP is asking a question about how his county handles this issue, but I see no information about what county, or even what State he lives in. So it's not surprising that he's getting generalized answers. In most people's situations his request doesn't seem to make sense. But we don't live in his state/county/neighborhood/HOA zone.

Baltimore County, Maryland 21220

Back