dead Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regor57

If i fully charge my 2013 leaf and let it set for 2 days the 12V battery drains dead. Any ideas why. If I open the hood and put a trickle charger on the 12v battery for just a minute or so I can open the charging door and can charge it. Not good for a car with only 1500 miles on it.

it is un plugged from the EVSE. Just setting in the garage. I don't do this often but every now and then it goes 2 days before I drive it.

Make sure you are keeping the key out of the car and away from it. And make sure when you connect a charger to connect the Black (-) of the battery to the chassis of the car and not direct to the batt.

GoneSilent said:
Make sure you are keeping the key out of the car and away from it. And make sure when you connect a charger to connect the Black (-) of the battery to the chassis of the car and not direct to the batt.
Is that necessary when charging? I thought that caution was only when connecting a load to the 12 volt battery.

That is how it says to "jump start" the car owners and service manual. I have not looked to see if the shunt is active when the car is in the sleep state yet if that matters.

ebill3 said:
GoneSilent said:
Is that necessary when charging? I thought that caution was only when connecting a load to the 12 volt battery.

GoneSilent said:
That is how it says to "jump start" the car owners and service manual. I have not looked to see if the shunt is active when the car is in the sleep state yet if that matters.

ebill3 said:
GoneSilent said:
Yes, that is standard practice when jump starting, so that in the event of arcing, the final connection is remote from the hydrogen source.

I just don't understand why bypassing the shunt when charging with the car off should be a problem.

Don't over think it. Take the car to Nissan, let them inspect it. It's most likely just a defective battery.
regor57 said:
If i fully charge my 2013 leaf and let it set for 2 days the 12V battery drains dead. Any ideas why. If I open the hood and put a trickle charger on the 12v battery for just a minute or so I can open the charging door and can charge it. Not good for a car with only 1500 miles on it.

Defective battery or constant device communication. Make sure that your key fobs and bluetooth devices are far enough away from the vehicle in your home.

Sounds like you have a version of my ongoing, recurring problem. You can read about it here:http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14617. Disconnecting the accessory battery negative cable for a few minutes will fix it for a month or so. Take it to the dealer and ask them to check the parasite drain. I've been wanting to do this for some time but haven't been able to get it to them while the car is acting up.

Meanwhile, to avoid any possibility of "double pressing" the power switch, always shut your car off with your foot on the brake. That way, if you do double-press the button, it will go back to ready mode and you will know. Good luck, Bill

This same thing happened to me twice. The second time, today. First time, "Oh, it was a bad battery". Today, "I reprogrammed the 'battery modulater', should be OK." The couldn't answer me if this was the cause of the issue (that the modulator wasn't keeping the 12v batter charged properly), leading to the eventual drain. They are saying 'probably' and 'I believe' a lot. They don't know. I will speak to the technician directly when I pick up the car this afternoon. This is getting ridiculous.

I am kinda concerned, but i must drive it everyday this week. I told them that the car must set for 2 days for the 12 volt battery to go dead but they only left it set overnight. i always like when you explain the problem and then they just do what they want to and say it is fixed. so next week I will let is set for 2 days and see if it is really fixed. I will post the results next week.

Back