Bad sensor may have eaten my 12v

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombastinator2

So I had a door sensor start registering the door as open even when it wasn’t. I made an appointment with a dealer to have it fixed, but when I tried to go the car was dead as a doorman. My suspicion is the 12v got eaten. Will I need a new battery? Replacing my battery when it went with a LiFepo4 one seemed like a good idea. I know the size is 25r, but that’s it. What replacement battery should I get if it needs a new one?

My 12v OEM died in my 22' SV+ two or three months ago (shorted cell internally I believe), replaced with an Optima "yellow top". Been fine ever since. Since your 12v was completely drained, I would replace it, as even two or three total cycles to 0 can kill a lead acid. The Lithium may work fine, BUT the charging characteristics are different and I'm not convinced that one would be a drop-in replacement. The Optima fits fine and is a 25 r. I added a BM-2 battery monitor too, just for peace of mind and they're very reasonably priced.

My 12v OEM died in my 22' SV+ two or three months ago (shorted cell internally I believe), replaced with an Optima "yellow top". Been fine ever since. Since your 12v was completely drained, I would replace it, as even two or three total cycles to 0 can kill a lead acid. The Lithium may work fine, BUT the charging characteristics are different and I'm not convinced that one would be a drop-in replacement. The Optima fits fine and is a 25 r. I added a BM-2 battery monitor too, just for peace of mind and they're very reasonably priced.
Well, there are people already using them so I suspect they do. They aren’t exactly the same. Their nominal voltage is 12.8 rather than 12v. Since the leaf seems to have a really high voltage cut off point this seems like an advantage rather than the reverse. They’re much more expensive than lead-acid, but they seem to have a lower amortized cost over time in leafs because you don’t have to keep replacing them. The difficulty seems to be finding one. I could go to any pep-boys or whatnot and get a replacement lead acid, but they appear to be barely sufficient for their job in a leaf. To the point that the generic reply to just about any problem seems to be “replace the 12v”. I could see Nissan going with a lead acid to keep sales price down, but now that I’ve got one it seems foolish to me.

Back