Dead battery, locked out of car, help!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaximumOtter

2015 SL, never had any problems before. My wife said it beeped at her when she came home from the grocery store...I went out, couldn't find any problem and it locked with the remote so I went inside.

Now I can't get it to unlock either with the remote or with the physical key, Nissan is no help of course. I'm assuming the 12v battery is dead but I can't even get in the car to pop the hood and swap it out.

Any help much appreciated, thanks,

John

First, make sure you are following all the steps explained in this video:

https://youtu.be/TuucPiJhEDY

Then, report back here on where things go wrong....

Try dipping the key in rubbing alcohol - preferably 90% alcohol. If that works, either dip it in light machine oil, or spray silicone lube into the lock.

MaximumOtter said:
2015 SL, never had any problems before. My wife said it beeped at her when she came home from the grocery store...I went out, couldn't find any problem and it locked with the remote so I went inside.

Now I can't get it to unlock either with the remote or with the physical key, Nissan is no help of course. I'm assuming the 12v battery is dead but I can't even get in the car to pop the hood and swap it out.

John

But...the key turns in the lock? If you have it set for "one push" to unlock all four doors, some power is needed to get that done. I would try rocking the key in the lock a few times as it should turn (about a ¼ turn or so)

EDIT

I guess I should ask; you did verify the key worked in the lock when you got the car, right? I guess that is no longer a thing although I am at a loss as to why. Testing keys on EVERYTHING is the first thing I do be it car, house, etc.

DaveinOlyWA said:
MaximumOtter said:

John

But...the key turns in the lock? If you have it set for "one push" to unlock all four doors, some power is needed to get that done. I would try rocking the key in the lock a few times as it should turn (about a ¼ turn or so)

EDIT

I guess I should ask; you did verify the key worked in the lock when you got the car, right? I guess that is no longer a thing although I am at a loss as to why. Testing keys on EVERYTHING is the first thing I do be it car, house, etc.

I believe I have used the key before...I can't remember why but I'm quite sure. It does turn in the lock but nothing happens to the right a quarter turn or so as everyone has stated but it doesn't unlock. Both keys do the same thing.

MaximumOtter said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
MaximumOtter said:

John

EDIT

I believe I have used the key before...I can't remember why but I'm quite sure. It does turn in the lock but nothing happens to the right a quarter turn or so as everyone has stated but it doesn't unlock. Both keys do the same thing.

ok, try turning key holding to right and open door? I think I will have to disconnect battery and try mine.

Ok, I tried mine with battery disconnected and the lock works just fine other than only the driver's door is unlocked.

That's bizarre that the mechanical key turns and doesn't unlock the door. It is possible something failed behind the door panel.

OP may need to call a locksmith or roadside assistance. Many years ago, I accidentally locked the keys inside a rental car. Roadside assistance came and used and inflatable balloon-type device between the edge of the door and the frame of the car. It temporarily bends the door enough (which did spring back) for him to get another tool inside the car to push on the interior door lock or door lock switch.

Back