Crushing LEAFs - Say it isn't so !

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
probably what they should do is give them to Nissan employees to drive, with the understanding that if it breaks, thats it... there is no reason to crish them, really. But you can see the point, they don't want to support these, as they are non standard, pre production models.

They should give it to universities, so students can play around with it and then some in museums with the understanding that it is illegal to drive them in public. GM did this to some of the EV1s

Yes! We need one in the Smithsonian so I can take the Metro and visit it! Geesh! Haven't seen hide nor tale of a LEAF since the D.C. Car show last February!

Don't they need cars for the showrooms at the dealerships? Seems silly to be promoting this environmentally friendly car and then crushing these cars, at the very least give them to universities or individuals that are willing to sign a wavier.

Off subject line topic, but on topic with the url you gave...

This article is funny, because I suspect it will be used by both the "range anxiety" folks and the "range anxiety is silly" folks

Range Anxiety side is probably pretty obvious: This guy was worried about making it all the way... although he had 10 miles of cushion he was freaked out, blah blah blah.

However, to me this article reads as anti-range-anxiety. He saw he had 29 miles left, knew he had 19 miles to go and took measures to ensure he would make it. Not only did he make it, but he had 8-10 extra estimated miles at the end than he thought he was going to have. Sounds like nothing to be anxious about :)

Back on subject topic:

Since these cars are only "near production" and not exactly production cars, they would not be good for a dealership showroom. I do agree it's a little weird that they aren't using them for ... something - maybe additional crash tests, additional training for emergency workers that need to know how to safely crack open one of these after an accident. Anything would be better than just crushing 'em.

It's standard practice to "destroy" prototype/production samples as they will vary from the actual final production product. This is a liability in any industry.

Most of the vehicle will probably be disassembled and reused in other prototypes/production samples and everything else will probably be crushed and recycled. No need to get worried about whole cars being destroyed... ;)

These faux-LEAFs are probably lacking safety features (like air-bags) that makes them illegal to sell, and not even street-legal, except under a special "test-drive" permit of some sort.

So, since they are not even good for dealer demos, LEAF-recycling is quite possibly the next thing to be tested!

I know a guy who works on development of advanced safety systems under contract to Nissan. They use standard Nissan ICE models for testings. These test cars are imported under special Federal rules for test vehicles. They have to crush them when they are done, even though they are physically identical to models in the showrooms. They can't sell them as used or give them to Nissan employees or anyone - just crush them.

So this isn't a bad replay of EV1 - Nissan is just complying with the laws under which they where imported.

Boy, we EV enthusiasts are sensitive about crushing, aren't we! :shock:

charlie1300 said:
Boy, we EV enthusiasts are sensitive about crushing, aren't we! :shock:

Yes, yes we are...
gmboob8.jpg

Hopefully they would at least put the batteries to good use, in the same power-storage role they talk about for used LEAF batteries?

Back