COVID-19 aka 2019 (and 2020) Novel Coronavirus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are going to be a lot of only semi-rational things like this happening, for the simple reason that we've never had to do this. Even with TB, Polio, and Measles the susceptible groups have been much smaller. This is new territory and humans are not inherently rational beings.

As for agreeing with Trump: when that happens I suggest that you simply assume that you have made a mistake that will later become clear to you. Trump is the defective clock that is wrong every minute of every day, not a stopped one.

Mortality statistics are an interesting beast. Pro tip: everyone dies. Presumably when they say X% of people who get CV will die from it, what they mean is die now as opposed to dying some amount of time later from something else. The morbidity rate of CV for people in their 80s is supposedly 14.8%, but for those who don't get it the morbidity is 14.6%. If you're in your 80s you might want to think twice about forgoing your bucket list items to hide out in your house with a stockpile of toilet paper just to pick up that last 0.2%.

GRA said:
CV has the potential to be serious, but for once I agree with Trump about lack of context re flu deaths etc.

Trump no longer agrees with Trump, so which Trump are you agreeing with?

Covid-19 is about 10 times the death rate of flu, best case.

Many more people can be infected with corona virus than influenza. Past cases, past years and current year vaccines all provide complete or partial immunity to some. Even getting a flu shot last season reduces both the infection rate and the death rate for flu. Add this in, and covid19 is about 40 times worse than the flu. Best case.

Covid19 will overfill hospitals with a fairly low infection rate. The flu doesn't do this. Someplace between 5% and 10% of cases become critical, and require ICU type care, with things like mechanical ventilation. Once you have all the ventilators used, the next patient doesn't get one. And dies. This is why the death rate in Wuhan was higher (almost 4%) than elsewhere (near 1%). And a lot of deaths in Wuhan didn't get counted as they died at home with no testing, or died in the hospital before being tested.

So at worst case, 200 million Americans get covid19, peak infection cases are around 60 million, and there are less than 200,000 ICU beds available. Who gets one? Probably not you or me. Death rate for the peak month might exceed 6 million people. Not counting heart attacks that can't get into the hospital as it is overfilled. Total covid19 deaths over 2020 might exceed 10 million people for just America. Yet this worst case assumes that no one takes any social distancing measures to reduce spread. Even with those, we might see 1.5 million deaths.

Best case is a rapid rollout of extensive testing, rapid social distancing (meaning nearly shutting down the economy for a few months) and isolation of infected and exposed people. Might, if we are good and very lucky, be less than the seasonal flu. In a bad flu year.

The flu hasn't shutdown any baseball games. Maybe 1918-1919 Spanish flu pandemic did, but I can't find any references to it. Flu seems to be a winter disease. Hockey, the Stanley Cup has this:

MONTREAL CANADIENS
SEATTLE METROPOLITANS
SERIES NOT COMPLETED

If you want to compare this with the flu, the 1918-1919 pandemic would be closer. Covid19 will kill more people, but might kill a slightly lower percentage of the world population.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Mortality statistics are an interesting beast. Pro tip: everyone dies. Presumably when they say X% of people who get CV will die from it, what they mean is die now as opposed to dying some amount of time later from something else. The morbidity rate of CV for people in their 80s is supposedly 14.8%, but for those who don't get it the morbidity is 14.6%. If you're in your 80s you might want to think twice about forgoing your bucket list items to hide out in your house with a stockpile of toilet paper just to pick up that last 0.2%.
Death causes can add, not overlap.
If the average death rate over a year is 14.6%, and 14.8% die of a new cause, the total death rate is likely to be closer to 28% than 14%.

Also, the statistics from Wuhan are for an epidemic that overwhelmed the heath care system. When faced with a 30 year old and a 80 year old with multiple other problems that need the same resource such as oxygen, guess who gets it. Rational triage. A fact of life and death. The death rate was both higher in Wuhan than elsewhere, and the age distribution of death is different. So don't take these as applying elsewhere.

Oh, and the website that Trump promised that Google had almost ready?

Google says no, we are not.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/google-contradicts-trump-claims-its-not-working-on-a-coronavirus-portal/

Just want to interject with this article, hasn't been posted yet (I think). https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/us/coronavirus-deaths-estimate.html

WetEV said:
So at worst case, 200 million Americans get covid19, peak infection cases are around 60 million, and there are less than 200,000 ICU beds available. Who gets one? Probably not you or me. Death rate for the peak month might exceed 6 million people. Not counting heart attacks that can't get into the hospital as it is overfilled. Total covid19 deaths over 2020 might exceed 10 million people for just America. Yet this worst case assumes that no one takes any social distancing measures to reduce spread. Even with those, we might see 1.5 million deaths.

200 million exposures isn't outside the realm of possibility, but 60 million peak or high-risk cases seems super unlikely. Only about 5% of total cases as a proportion of those testing positive actually require hospitalizations.

I don't want to speculate on what would happen if 60 million people had severe infections and respiratory failure :shock: Let's just hope everyone is doing their best to make sure that doesn't happen.

WetEV said:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/google-contradicts-trump-claims-its-not-working-on-a-coronavirus-portal/
Meh. Another alphabet subsidy, big deal, most people don't know that distinction. Nice that they're team players BTW, not having leadership there in a show of unity like all the other companies such as Walmart, Roche etc.

Too big a deal made over testing anyway. The media just needs it to report stats and keep the frenzy going, tank the economy and hope it pays off in November. They should call it the sheeple virus.

I hope it doesn't crater Tesla. When people are hiding in their houses hoarding toilet paper, worried about their jobs and their portfolios are way down they aren't going to be running out buying expensive cars.

LTLFTcomposite said:
WetEV said:

Meh. Another alphabet subsidy, big deal, most people don't know that distinction. Nice that they're team players BTW, not having leadership there in a show of unity like all the other companies such as Walmart, Roche etc.
Google, actually Verily, isn't ready. The website isn't almost ready. They just heard about it, like the guy from Walmart said, on Thursday. They did have an internal version they were developing to help doctors that they can modify. They might have a limited area covered sometime next week. Maybe. I'm sure it will be Tremendous.

Verily is in the early stages of development, and planning to roll testing out in the Bay Area, with the hope of expanding more broadly over time.

Trump claimed ready to roll out nationwide on Sunday.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Too big a deal made over testing anyway. The media just needs it to report stats and keep the frenzy going, tank the economy and hope it pays off in November. They should call it the sheeple virus.

So what do you suggest, as a practical matter? Ignore it?

There is no treatment, other than support to save lives. No drug proven to work, and lots tried. No vaccine for at least a year, likely more. Death toll with no action will be gruesome.

We could be like Iran. Hospitals overrun, and then more and more sick people show up. Mass graves seen from both space and cell phone videos on the ground, holding far more recently dead people than "officially" have died from coronavirus. Probably still getting worse, but hard to say as news suppression is underway. I'd say gruesome fits.

Or we could be like China. Social control to the maximum. Official death death toll about 3000, actual probably more than twice that, and mostly limited to one city. Required spyware on your phone to track your covid19 and location. Must show the image from the spyware to get in stores, restaurants, subways, buses, trains, etc. If you get covid19 the authorities can change the status on the phone of all the people who's phones your phone was close to from green to yellow or red. Meaning they can't get into any crowded place, the police know where they are and are looking for them. Street cameras with facial recognition are looking for any that don't report as directed. Effective. Far more effective that I suspected. Scary. Would you like that?

Or we could be like South Korea, with drive through testing, and mostly rely on people to self quarantine. Sounds like what Trump is planning.

Or like Singapore, with a well funded and supported public health system. Probably the best in the world. Track down the cases rapidly, random test to find clusters rapidly.

Or Italy, which ignored "flu like" cases until people started dying in large numbers. Official total dead will likely exceed China's official total.

UK is still ignoring the threat. But the UK has Trump resorts, so travel isn't shutdown. Run by a "stable genus". Pray for them.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I hope it doesn't crater Tesla. When people are hiding in their houses hoarding toilet paper, worried about their jobs and their portfolios are way down they aren't going to be running out buying expensive cars.
Tesla in China will likely be doing well, as the Chinese have contained the virus. Growth might slow, but I don't see much risk to Tesla's survival. Of course, I didn't think China could contain the virus. I was wrong about that.

coleafrado said:
200 million exposures isn't outside the realm of possibility, but 60 million peak or high-risk cases seems super unlikely.

Probably now impossible. Might have possible been when I saw this, back in late January. Err, edit, was early February. Was based on the USA completely ignoring the virus. So more than unlikely, as we are not doing that.

Travel ban was the most effective action to take to control rampant spread, fortunately President Trump did that early. Fauci said as much.

To many people flying around, particularly long haul international. Spreads infectious diseases and generates massive carbon emissions.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Travel ban was the most effective action to take to control rampant spread, fortunately President Trump did that early. Fauci said as much.

To many people flying around, particularly long haul international. Spreads infectious diseases and generates massive carbon emissions.
Travel bans from China and within China gave us about 2 to 3 weeks of time. Useful. We wasted that time.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/03/05/science.aba9757.full

Travel ban from Europe doesn't matter much. When we have thousands of known cases and ten times that in undiagnosed cases, one or ten or 100 infected people flying in from Europe doesn't change much.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/367/6481/962

But many epidemiologists have claimed that travel bans buy little extra time, and WHO doesn't endorse them. The received wisdom is that bans can backfire, for example, by hampering the flow of necessary medical supplies and eroding public trust. And as the list of affected countries grows, the bans will become harder to enforce and will make less sense: There is little point in spending huge amounts of resources to keep out the occasional infected person if you already have thousands in your own country.

Here is some more good reading.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/beast-moving-very-fast-will-new-coronavirus-be-contained-or-go-pandemic
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/why-airport-screening-wont-stop-spread-coronavirus
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/why-do-dozens-diseases-wax-and-wane-seasons-and-will-covid-19
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/coronavirus-seems-unstoppable-what-should-world-do-now
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/does-closing-schools-slow-spread-novel-coronavirus

Emailed to me:
Sing to the tune of "grandma got ran over by a reindeer"

Grandma got run over by a virus
walking home from church on Easter Day
you all can claim this is fake news
but as to me and grandpa, we believe

LTLFTcomposite said:

Right now, there is no alternative for moving people across oceans. One of the few problems for which we have no solution (unless you count electric jets).

coleafrado said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

Right now, there is no alternative for moving people across oceans. One of the few problems for which we have no solution (unless you count electric jets).

The issue is that it isn't necessary for so very many people to travel internationally. Telecommunications have evolved to the point where it's redundant. Yes, it's a way to develop socially, but the cost does not appear to be worth the benefit from rapid intercontinental travel.

Wet EV; MLB games played by year Detroit

1917; 152
1918; 126
1919; 132
1920; 154

A few games variance is normal as some rainouts for non playoff contenders were frequently canceled.

Estimated cases; 9.3 million. Deaths 600,000
Possible reductions if "severe measures are taken today (mar 13 actually)
4.5 million cases, 300,000 deaths.

Estimated cases had severe restrictions been instituted in Jan on first reports of virus in WA State?

545,000 with 10,000 to 25,000 deaths.

There is now proof that trump knew about the elimination of the national pandemic response team 600 days ago.

trump is a train wreck. always has been and always will be. That goes for his entire family. Not hard to understand how his son in law gained the nickname "Slumlord Millionaire"

LTLFTcomposite said:

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :lol:

WetEV said:
GRA said:
CV has the potential to be serious, but for once I agree with Trump about lack of context re flu deaths etc.

Trump no longer agrees with Trump, so which Trump are you agreeing with?

The Trump quote I agreed with, which as we all know is often just a spur of the moment point of view (for him).

WetEV said:
Covid-19 is about 10 times the death rate of flu, best case.

Many more people can be infected with corona virus than influenza. Past cases, past years and current year vaccines all provide complete or partial immunity to some. Even getting a flu shot last season reduces both the infection rate and the death rate for flu. Add this in, and covid19 is about 40 times worse than the flu. Best case.

Covid19 will overfill hospitals with a fairly low infection rate. The flu doesn't do this. Someplace between 5% and 10% of cases become critical, and require ICU type care, with things like mechanical ventilation. Once you have all the ventilators used, the next patient doesn't get one. And dies. This is why the death rate in Wuhan was higher (almost 4%) than elsewhere (near 1%). And a lot of deaths in Wuhan didn't get counted as they died at home with no testing, or died in the hospital before being tested.

Best case is a rapid rollout of extensive testing, rapid social distancing (meaning nearly shutting down the economy for a few months) and isolation of infected and exposed people. Might, if we are good and very lucky, be less than the seasonal flu. In a bad flu year.

The flu hasn't shutdown any baseball games. Maybe 1918-1919 Spanish flu pandemic did, but I can't find any references to it. Flu seems to be a winter disease. Hockey, the Stanley Cup has this:

MONTREAL CANADIENS
SEATTLE METROPOLITANS
SERIES NOT COMPLETED

If you want to compare this with the flu, the 1918-1919 pandemic would be closer. Covid19 will kill more people, but might kill a slightly lower percentage of the world population.

Let's look at the Covid-19 fatality demographic breakdown from China, shall we? https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

For ages <=39 the death rate is 0.2%, and for those 40-49 the death rate is 0.4% ~ 2-4 x flu in the U.S., which probably has a far better health care system than China overall. It's only above those age groups that the death rate increases rapidly, and we see that for those groups who have no pre-existing contributing conditions, the fatality rate is 0.9% overall, including the most at-risk groups. We also see that the death rate is significantly higher among men than women, which is explained by the much higher smoking rate among men in China, and the consequent increased likelihood of pre-existing repiratory issues. Then there's the fact that we simply don't know how many people have mild symptoms that they considered a cold or mild case of flu, and didn't bother to seek hospital treatment or even get tested so don't make it into the statistics - Rudy Gobert may look like an ass now, but the fact is if he hadn't gotten tested no one would know he had it, and he was ready and able to play when the game was called off. Three weeks ago I had a cold or mild flu, or at least that's what I thought. Was it really Covid-19? Probably not, but we'll never know, and I never felt any need to seek medical treatment, just stayed at home, blew my nose, took the occasional ibuprofen and drank lots of water and apple juice.

BTW, Spanish Flu is supposed to have killed 675,000 in the U.S., and the greatest mortality was among young, healthy males. We know far more about viruses and health care than we did then. Here's some discussion of the two:
Covid-19 Is Not the Spanish Flu
A widely cited stat about death rates seems to argue otherwise, but it's surely incorrect. So how'd it end up in the research literature?
https://www.wired.com/story/covid-19-is-nothing-like-the-spanish-flu/

None of this is to suggest that Covid-19 doesn't pose a serious public health threat, and major efforts need to be made to contain it, but the hysteria is way overblown, driven far more by 24/7 news and social media than reality. BTW, purely a supposition on my part, but I'd guess many of the most virulent (pun intended) anti-Vaxxers are among the people panic-buying and cleaning out stores now.

While I'm at it, let me pimp for one of my favorite sci-fi novels of all time, the 1949 "Earth Abides" by George R. Stewart. Stewart https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_R._Stewart was a well-known professor at U.C. Berkeley, whose "Ordeal by Hunger" was for many years (and may still be FAIK) the standard work on the Donner Party, and his "Fire" and "Storm" describe major ones of both of those - I've re-read them in the past few years, as reality seems to be aping them.

"Earth Abides" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Abides is about the survivors of a pandemic (99+% fatality rate), as they gradually find each other and re-establish small social groups. The majority of the novel takes place in the Bay Area, particularly in the Berkeley Hills, and I and many other kids and rock climbers can recognize one site that has a major symbolic role in the book. I recently acquired a used copy and donated it to the library at the backcountry ski hut in Yosemite where I usually spend several days each winter, as my friend the hutmaster is, like me, someone who grew up in the area and is another long-time fan of the book. I've got a library copy at home now, and may well read it while I self-isolate ;)

LeftieBiker said:
There are going to be a lot of only semi-rational things like this happening, for the simple reason that we've never had to do this. Even with TB, Polio, and Measles the susceptible groups have been much smaller. This is new territory and humans are not inherently rational beings.

As for agreeing with Trump: when that happens I suggest that you simply assume that you have made a mistake that will later become clear to you. Trump is the defective clock that is wrong every minute of every day, not a stopped one.

Almost anyone can be right once in a while, but that doesn't change their overall record of mendacity and inaccuracy.

And there is little doubt the current US rate of 1.9% (51 deaths in 2572 cases) will go down. Our rate is skewed due to the outbreak at the assisted care living facility but rates are "better?" elsewhere, right?

Well...lets see.

China; 3.9%
Italy; 6.8%
Iran; 4.8%
Spain; 3.0%
South Korea; .9%

Some notes; South Korea has one of the most effective healthcare systems in the World. Their low death rate has a lot do with their ability to mobilize against the virus. Quick mobilization is the key. Singapore despite 212 infected and among the earliest detected outside China, has zero deaths but was the first country to institute drastic measures and restrictions. Their close proximity to China necessitated quick action.

Overall, the death rate is low but only because countries late into the game on the initial infection rates are being detected at a much higher rate and earlier than the countries I have listed. Several countries have cases in the hundreds but no deaths listed. This is suspect data.

Make no mistake. The extreme measures being taken in the country were not decided lightly. Sure trump's indecision or simple arrogance made the problem worse but this is more of a threat than most care to admit.

That WIRED article should be required reading for all journalists before reporting on pandemics. I saw numerous articles quoting those numbers from the 1918 Spanish Flu the past few days and wondered how they could quote the numbers without questioning the obvious errors.

Well that's what you get when someone with an English degree tries to write a paragraph about epidemiology.

Back