Contact resistance, J1772 versus Type 2.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donald

Just unplugging the charging lead from my home charging station (I had one fitted with a Type 2 socket), at 16A for a couple of hours, and was thinking about the fact that the Type 2 Mennekes connector was warm, but the J1772 was completely cold.

I'd hazard a guess that the plug was experiencing around 10W or so in heating. [More than watts, but not 100's.] I guess that's really not bad at all, if that translates to a contact resistance of ~20mOhms per pin. Still, if it takes 40A then we'd be talking 60W?

But I was wondering why the J1772 at the car was cold. Maybe it is just colder outside and there is some extra air cooling. Or is the J1772 equipped with better pins/receptacles?

Does anyone know, or have a guess, at what the typical contact resistances are/should be for the different plug standards?

donald said:
Does anyone know, or have a guess, at what the typical contact resistances are/should be for the different plug standards?

The standard probably isn't as important as the quality of the product. Last night, I had 197F degrees on a Blink "Type 1" at 30 amps.

My home Type 1 unit shows only a few degrees of temperature rise.

Here's what they look like when they get too hot:

More pics here

Blinkj1772burntPinB.jpg

Blinkj1772burntPinA.jpg

Rav4j1772burntPinB.jpg

Rav4j1772burntPinA.jpg

Sept 3, 2013 - UPDATE: Rema charging handle strikes again and melts the pins on a Nissan LEAF: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=322830#p322830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back