Connecting Android phone to USB?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deleted member 7875

Has anyone else had problems connecting an Android phone to the USB connector for charging? My Samsung Galaxy Note II keeps beeping and displaying a message connected to an installer. I think this is because the Leaf it trying to pair it as an I-Phone. I tried various settings on the Android Samsung Galaxy Note II such as ignore the connection and so on, but I think the Leaf keep trying to connect.

Maybe the Leaf Navigation System has settings to stop trying to connect.

Any chance Nissan might provide future software to allow interconnection between Leaf Navigation System and Android Phones?

I have a first-generation AT&T Galaxy Note running Android 4.0 ICS and when I plug into USB it just charges. Also, I generally use an old iPod Nano to play music through the USB connection, so I use the 12v lighter port for charging my phone...much faster anyway. You can use a bluetooth connection to stream music from your Note to the head unit.

The newer versions of Android use MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) instead of acting as a simple UMS (USB Mass Storage) device. MTP has more in common with a network drive than a physical storage device. This has advantages from the phone's point of view...the host PC can't format the storage (and can't mess it up), and the phone doesn't have to dismount it's storage, allowing the phone to fully function while connected. The media space can just be a folder on the main storage of the device instead of having to be a completely separate partition, allowing app and media space to use the same storage pool. It also allows the phone to use a more failure-proof file system than FAT. On the downside, most MTP implementations I've seen are a good bit slower than UMS, which means it takes longer to transfer a huge media library.

The LEAF doesn't support MTP, so you'll have to either use Bluetooth, or the AUX jack to play music. Using USB to connect a phone to the LEAF for music playback doesn't work that well anyway. You can't play anything but music stored ON the device, no streaming, you don't get much in the way of controls, and you have to plug and unplug all the time. I don't know about you, but I've always found the connectors on phones to be a weak link. Avoiding extra wear is a good thing. If you don't want to, or can't, use the other methods, you'd be better off putting your music library on a cheap USB stick and just leaving it plugged in. Some of them are so tiny you'll hardly know they're there.

Thanks, very helpful. I just wanted to use the USB to charge the phone, but if the Accessory Plug will do it faster, I should just .do that.

on my S3 with 4.2.2 cyanogenmod, the car recognizes it as "a media device" and charges slowly. I may get a 12v charger to allow fast charge. Bluetooth audio works fairly well when I run Pandora.

NoMoShocks said:
Thanks, very helpful. I just wanted to use the USB to charge the phone, but if the Accessory Plug will do it faster, I should just .do that.
The Volt's USB follows the standard (500 mA) so if the LEAF is like that it'd be faster using the accessory.

I did quite a bit of testing of this as I bought a device to test the amps.

See: Volt-USB-phone-charging-watts-of-power
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?19816-Volt-USB-phone-charging-watts-of-power" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RBMu.jpeg

NoMoShocks said:
Has anyone else had problems connecting an Android phone to the USB connector for charging? My Samsung Galaxy Note II keeps beeping and displaying a message connected to an installer. I think this is because the Leaf it trying to pair it as an I-Phone. I tried various settings on the Android Samsung Galaxy Note II such as ignore the connection and so on, but I think the Leaf keep trying to connect.

Maybe the Leaf Navigation System has settings to stop trying to connect.

Any chance Nissan might provide future software to allow interconnection between Leaf Navigation System and Android Phones?

BT is universal supposedly so it would not pair it as any type of phone. I also have issues charging the phone thru USB but only on the rare occasions when there are 2 of us in the car. otherwise i use the 12 volt acc. port because it is much much faster. my phone is pushing 2 years old and even with extended batt and extra batt, my degradation would make a Phoenician wince so i need a charge as fast as i can get it sometimes.

now, there is supposed to be a setting on my phone when I plug into a powered usb port where it asks what mode I want to use and even if i select "power only", it just toggles back and forth from power to "media" every 2-3 seconds.

Go to Settings, Applications, Development, enable the checkbox for USB debugging. This should fix the problem. Otherwise it enters an infinite loop disconnecting and connecting. Depending on your Android version getting to the USB debugging option may be slightly different.

pirateaye said:
Go to Settings, Applications, Development, enable the checkbox for USB debugging. This should fix the problem. Otherwise it enters an infinite loop disconnecting and connecting. Depending on your Android version getting to the USB debugging option may be slightly different.

Thanks, I fould the "USB debugging" option and enabled it so I can give this a try. See if it doesn't create any other weird unexpected outcomes with the disclaimer that Development Options can cause errors in other applications. Looks like it will be easy to change it back if it does.

My Kyocera Event seemed to charge from the USB when the phone was turned completely off. Otherwise, it was stuck in the endless cycle and wasn't charging.

pirateaye said:

on Moto Bionic

settings, system, developer options

Back