Cold weather regen braking

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarni0

Should this work in cold weather (around freezing or below)?
I notice on my 2012 Leaf the indicator regenerative braking indicator doesn't usually come on when wintery.

You will get very little if any regen in very cold temps, it's even worse on a battery that's degraded to 10 or lower health bars.
My '12 with 8 bars gives me NO regen lately, even in low SOC%. My '13 with 11 bars will give 2 maybe 3 regen bubbles in the cold and in the weather were having currently(sub 0F) I'm lucky to get one bubble.

It's pretty bad how Nissan washed their hands of us early adopters; my 2011 (VIN 340) which was only Quick Charged 22 times, and almost always only charged to 80% on L1 or L2 chargers, has a SoH of 54% after 55,000 miles. And yeah, regen is pretty much a luxury item nowadays. Ironic, as I need as much range assist as possible.

Later gen LEAFs were altogether better at both regen and battery deg, but Nissan have never offered to help those of us who put them on the map.

Bad business model, because it's going to be my first and last... Not that they're reading here...

It's pretty bad how Nissan washed their hands of us early adopters; my 2011 (VIN 340) which was only Quick Charged 22 times, and almost always only charged to 80% on L1 or L2 chargers, has a SoH of 54% after 55,000 miles. And yeah, regen is pretty much a luxury item nowadays. Ironic, as I need as much range assist as possible.

Later gen LEAFs were altogether better at both regen and battery deg, but Nissan have never offered to help those of us who put them on the map.

Bad business model, because it's going to be my first and last... Not that they're reading here...
VIN 000659 here. Our Leaf became worthless by 2018 at which point we switched to Tesla model S .... am SOO very very thankful Nissan jack the price up from $5,000 to $8,000 for their junkie replacement battery because had they not - we would have purchased the replacement and the disgust would have been that much greater at the money we wasted. But hey -v if Jen one owners are still happy with theirs, more power to them. For us tho .... Leaf ... the Yugo of EV's.

VIN 000659 here. Our Leaf became worthless by 2018 at which point we switched to Tesla model S .... am SOO very very thankful Nissan jack the price up from $5,000 to $8,000 for their junkie replacement battery because had they not - we would have purchased the replacement and the disgust would have been that much greater at the money we wasted. But hey -v if Jen one owners are still happy with theirs, more power to them. For us tho .... Leaf ... the Yugo of EV's.
It would not be hard for Nissan to offer Gen 1 Leaf owners an upgrade to Gen 2 batteries, especially 40kW. Offered at a reasonable price, I believe it would be a value for money upgrade.

Back