cold in North Carolina

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtown0031

Not sure what Nissan needs to do, but here in North Carolina we have just been through several weeks of extreme cold. My friends 2012 LEAF SL just did 30 miles going from full charge to only one bar left. :shock: That's not good. Makes me hesitant to commit to purhase. Still looking hard at the car, but it appears to only be a three season car.

Mtown0031 said:
Not sure what Nissan needs to do, but here in North Carolina we have just been through several weeks of extreme cold. My friends 2012 LEAF SL just did 30 miles going from full charge to only one bar left. :shock: That's not good. Makes me hesitant to commit to purhase. Still looking hard at the car, but it appears to only be a three season car.

Must be REALLY extreme (below zero, left outside overnight, driving highway speeds all the time, etc.) because mine hasn't dropped that low and we've had much worse weather in Chicago than NC -- if however they don't use the ECO mode, blast the heat constantly, etc. perhaps you could get it down this much but the lowest on my '12 I've seen has been about 50 to 55 miles on a full charge and even then it shows 2 to 3 bars left on the GOM.

How cold was it? I picked up my 2014 this week in Canada when it was -15c (5 F) drove it for 60km (37 miles) like I drive every car. Used the heater played with all the settings and got home with 45 percent charge left. Today it was 0 c (32 F) and did 80km (50 miles) - 60km on the highway - didn't babied it at all and drive like I do every car. Got home with 45km on the GOM 3 bars and 35 percent left. Didn't use Eco mode at all for any of the drive.

I'm in Raleigh NC, have a new 2013 SV. Didn't have issues with range during our recent cold spell. We've had several days with highs in the 20s and lows in the single digits. Thats very cold for us.

Our SV has the heat pump which usually helped except when it got into the teens I could tell the heat pump wasn't running. We also tend to use the heated seats a good bit and have the heat set to 60. It was sunny most of the cold days so we didn't have a problem needing to run the heat much. In fact we had the opposite problem where I couldn't turn down the heat enough, 60 degrees is the minimum setting for heat which was still pumping our warm air even if the inside was warm from the sun.

We also part the car in a garage so the battery never got that cold.

Our range was not noticeably reduced compared to running AC in the summer. It was a little reduced from running no HVAC.

Back