Clipper Creek debuts new Level 2 EVSE for $395

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Prices keep coming down, with the bonus of Clipper Creek quality...

http://www.enhancedonlinenews.com/news/eon/20140610006422/en/ClipperCreek-EV-Charging-Station/Level-2/240V-%24395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MikeinDenver said:
Good to see they are coming down but with OpenEVSE out there for less and more output.......
This is just fine for any EV with a 3.3kW charger. Having higher output capabilities are good for future-proofing though.

aarond12 said:
MikeinDenver said:
Good to see they are coming down but with OpenEVSE out there for less and more output.......
This is just fine for any EV with a 3.3kW charger. Having higher output capabilities are good for future-proofing though.

True I forget not every LEAF has the 6.6. But on the future proofing side getting a higher output one makes more sense I think. They haven't reached the price point to just write it off and buy another in my opinion.

I still think it is a good solution for people that are using a 120v cordset and have an early LEAF or a plug-in hybrid...Not everyone has the need for more power...

Of course, I'm all about future-proofing my own charging setup now that I have two EVs...And then I remind myself that every EV driver is not me....400 bucks for a high quality pre-built 15 amp solution with a 3 year warranty is awesome...Clipper Creek rocks....

QueenBee said:
Lame that's it's only 15 amps and not 16 amps. Good to see prices coming down though.
I can look past the 15A limitation - but yeah, you'd think they'd stick with 16A. Only about 7%, but still.

I think their target is really the plug-in hybrid crowd who is looking for the least inexpensive way to get 240V charging. And this fits the bill.

Good on Clipper Creek for aggressively bringing their prices down! This is almost $200 cheaper than the HCS-40 and $150 cheaper than the LCS-25P (the LCS-25P is looking significantly overpriced now).

drees said:
I think their target is really the plug-in hybrid crowd who is looking for the least inexpensive way to get 240V charging. And this fits the bill.

Yeah, I think the Volt OBC is 15A on 240v. PiP is even lower! Totally agree that it's essentially for the PHEV market, but theres probably a few people with maxed out panels rejoicing. Not everyone can do a 30A EVSE at home.

QueenBee said:
Lame that's it's only 15 amps and not 16 amps. Good to see prices coming down though.
15a is the cut off on #14 wire in many cases. Less copper, lower cost.
I think it is lame that my Leviton 160 has #10 wire in the cable. s/b #12 at best and maybe #14 for the ground.

I can't believe it has taken four years to figure this out.

smkettner said:
I think it is lame that my Leviton 160 has #10 wire in the cable. s/b #12 at best and maybe #14 for the ground.

Personally I think it's fantastic. I have the Leviton 160. I prefer things like this to be over-built. Not sure how much extra cost is attributable to the 10-gauge wire vs. 12Ga but over the life of the unit not a major deal. The unit was certainly overpriced when I bought it 2 1/2 years ago but probably more to do with small-volume production, tooling and certification rather than just Copper costs.

Back