Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brianchi73 said:
MeVirtually said:
Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted. Last time it was about my mom's Leaf, but I'm happy to say last month I leased a 2013 Slate S of my own :D

A peculiar thing happened today though, I got regular plates in the mail to replace the temp plate. At the dealer, they charged me $35 or so, and I just wanted to check on here that the IL EV plates are still around for the discounted price since last year when my mom bought her car (my mom said she got a notice to renew hers, so I'm pretty sure they are) and that the EV plates don't exclude leased EVs or some other exclusion before I follow up with the dealer to see what happened.

Also, if I'm correct and have to follow up, I want to check that my understanding of the EV registration fee is correct. The $35 fee is for the two year period ending this year, and it's prorated by 6-month period, correct? I shouldn't have to pay the entire $35 fee for last month's registration if I'm eligible for EV plates. And then need to renew for the next two-year period that begins next month, yeah?

I'm leasing and I was able to get the 2 year renewal for $35. When I did mine the dealer was kind of clueless, and they just transferred my current plate. I then went to the Driver Facility on Elston, and they were equally as clueless although I finally found ONE person who knew what they were talking about. I had to pay a little $ to switch from a regular plate to an EV plate, and they somehow made the expiration align with the end of 2013. I can't remember exactly how much that cost me.

Now I got a renewal for $35, but it's good until the end of 2015, so I think it's all good once you're on schedule. As for pro-rating I wouldn't expect it because they're more or less incompetent! :) Congrats on the Leaf!

Sounds like your dealer applied the right charge but IL SOS screwed up -- the EL plate series is renewed every other December and they have a set schedule for pro-rating the fee … depending on when you took delivery a plate you got this December would be the full $35 as it would be good for the full two years that starts December 2013. Our LEAF was bought in December 2011 so the fee was also $35 and we just received our renewal sticker, I'll PM the IL SOS contact whose office takes care of these EL plates so they can get you an application, etc. and perhaps waive the swap fee if indeed they screwed up in processing. Just have your paperwork at hand (dealer application for plates, etc.) when you call them.

Phatcat73 said:
About half the Leafs (Leaves?) I see on the road have standard passenger plates.

As IL does not 'require' an EV to use the lower cost plates and many dealer's are not aware of the program it's actually amazing that there are many with them ... if you're talking a 100% EV company (like Tesla) the percentage with the 'EL' series goes way up as I'm sure Tesla makes it a selling point with their IL customers -- we also have a number of special series and vanity plates that are much better looking than the rather plain white one that IL has designated for EV's so that's a factor as well.

Of course it's an unscientific way to look but, at least 'EL' registrations in IL for production EV's have passed the 1,000 mark as prior to about the mid 200's plate numbers range in the EL series here in IL the majority were home built or converted ICE's and not a 'mainstream' off the production floor EV that you could simply order.

Also here in IL, a PHEV like the Volt is not eligible; only 100% electric so cars like the Volt, Ford C-Max Energi, etc. aren't in these numbers ... hopefully those new to the LEAF (leased or otherwise) know about the 50% EVSE 'charger' incentive as well; much better deal than saving a few bucks on license plates.

redLEAF said:
Phatcat73 said:
About half the Leafs (Leaves?) I see on the road have standard passenger plates.

As IL does not 'require' an EV to use the lower cost plates and many dealer's are not aware of the program it's actually amazing that there are many with them ... if you're talking a 100% EV company (like Tesla) the percentage with the 'EL' series goes way up as I'm sure Tesla makes it a selling point with their IL customers -- we also have a number of special series and vanity plates that are much better looking than the rather plain white one that IL has designated for EV's so that's a factor as well.

Of course it's an unscientific way to look but, at least 'EL' registrations in IL for production EV's have passed the 1,000 mark as prior to about the mid 200's plate numbers range in the EL series here in IL the majority were home built or converted ICE's and not a 'mainstream' off the production floor EV that you could simply order.

Also here in IL, a PHEV like the Volt is not eligible; only 100% electric so cars like the Volt, Ford C-Max Energi, etc. aren't in these numbers ... hopefully those new to the LEAF (leased or otherwise) know about the 50% EVSE 'charger' incentive as well; much better deal than saving a few bucks on license plates.

Does one have to have the charger installed by a certified electrician to get the rebate, or can I purchase the EVSE charger and install it myself and expect to get the rebate for the charger as well as the necessary wiring and associated hardware?

greengate said:
redLEAF said:
Phatcat73 said:

Does one have to have the charger installed by a certified electrician to get the rebate, or can I purchase the EVSE charger and install it myself and expect to get the rebate for the charger as well as the necessary wiring and associated hardware?

Find the Illinois EPA site and get the details. Read it carefully. Mine was denied because I participated in the Blink Charger program. It was very unclear in their original documentation, and I went ahead and spent $2500 hoping to get 1/2 of it back. Between the time that I spent the $ and the time I wrote up the documentation, they added a section on their website about not being able to participate in both. Naturally they didn't care that I had started mine before that was clarified. Still, though, I'm not complaining (too much) because I got the blink charger for free.

You have to prove you went through the proper city permits, etc so I think you need a certified electrician.

I used RedLeaf's electrician as did another friend of mine. He's a great guy if you want me to PM you his contact information.

PLEASE NOTE: All EV charging unit installations completed after December 31, 2013 (with the exception of self-installed units) must be performed by an installer that is certified by the Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC) under the rule on the “Certification for the Installation, Maintenance or Repair of Electric Vehicle Charging Stations” (83 Ill. Adm. Code, Ch I, Subch c, Part 469). For information on the ICC’s rulemaking, please refer to ICC Case Number 12-0212 and the rulemaking workshop process.

http://www.ildceo.net/dceo/Bureaus/Energy_Recycling/ev.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EVftw said:
PLEASE NOTE: All EV charging unit installations completed after December 31, 2013 (with the exception of self-installed units) must be performed by an installer that is certified by the Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC) under the rule on the “Certification for the Installation, Maintenance or Repair of Electric Vehicle Charging Stations” (83 Ill. Adm. Code, Ch I, Subch c, Part 469). For information on the ICC’s rulemaking, please refer to ICC Case Number 12-0212 and the rulemaking workshop process.

http://www.ildceo.net/dceo/Bureaus/Energy_Recycling/ev.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

additional site with more info ... getting this rebate (for me) was worth the effort but took a fair amount of back & forth on the 'proper' paperwork so no DYI (do-it-yourself) need apply as they'll be turned down flat, as 'r1234567' said, if you want to get the rebate, use someone whose been through it and/or determine if it's worth the effort if you have a 'simple' install to forgo the rebate altogether and just use your own 'labor'

http://www.commerce.state.il.us/dceo/Bureaus/Energy_Recycling/ev.htm

redLEAF said:
brianchi73 said:
MeVirtually said:
Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted. Last time it was about my mom's Leaf, but I'm happy to say last month I leased a 2013 Slate S of my own :D

A peculiar thing happened today though, I got regular plates in the mail to replace the temp plate. At the dealer, they charged me $35 or so, and I just wanted to check on here that the IL EV plates are still around for the discounted price since last year when my mom bought her car (my mom said she got a notice to renew hers, so I'm pretty sure they are) and that the EV plates don't exclude leased EVs or some other exclusion before I follow up with the dealer to see what happened.

Also, if I'm correct and have to follow up, I want to check that my understanding of the EV registration fee is correct. The $35 fee is for the two year period ending this year, and it's prorated by 6-month period, correct? I shouldn't have to pay the entire $35 fee for last month's registration if I'm eligible for EV plates. And then need to renew for the next two-year period that begins next month, yeah?

I'm leasing and I was able to get the 2 year renewal for $35. When I did mine the dealer was kind of clueless, and they just transferred my current plate. I then went to the Driver Facility on Elston, and they were equally as clueless although I finally found ONE person who knew what they were talking about. I had to pay a little $ to switch from a regular plate to an EV plate, and they somehow made the expiration align with the end of 2013. I can't remember exactly how much that cost me.

Now I got a renewal for $35, but it's good until the end of 2015, so I think it's all good once you're on schedule. As for pro-rating I wouldn't expect it because they're more or less incompetent! :) Congrats on the Leaf!

Sounds like your dealer applied the right charge but IL SOS screwed up -- the EL plate series is renewed every other December and they have a set schedule for pro-rating the fee … depending on when you took delivery a plate you got this December would be the full $35 as it would be good for the full two years that starts December 2013. Our LEAF was bought in December 2011 so the fee was also $35 and we just received our renewal sticker, I'll PM the IL SOS contact whose office takes care of these EL plates so they can get you an application, etc. and perhaps waive the swap fee if indeed they screwed up in processing. Just have your paperwork at hand (dealer application for plates, etc.) when you call them.

Thanks brianchi73 and redLEAF for the info. I'll start at the dealer and see where that gets me, because my mom got her EV plates last year from them. Hopefully it was just a paperwork error, but I'll reach out the the SOS contact soon if I don't get anywhere.

Does anyone use the remote climate control in the morning when plugged in to your 220? I have noticed that while it says that it should take the power from the wall...it also uses some battery. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but I have seen the first bar on my 12 bars disappear well before it did on the previous day with the same temperature and miles/kwh rating.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Since I'm usually trying to maximize my range in the winter...I've stopped using the pre-heat remote climate function. :-(

redLEAF said:
redLEAF said:
Before I forget … saw TWO EV's on the way home today both with IL electric vehicle plates. A nice charcoal gray LEAF with 696 and a black premium Tesla S showing 1121. Still are seeing many more Tesla's out in the 'burbs then new LEAF's … has anyone seen a 12xx series EL plate yet … nice to see registrations climbing past the 1,000 mark.

Another Tesla S sighting, this time a red one today on Lake Cook in Barrington, plate # 1244; observed outside temp 21 F, LEAF doesn't like these low temps based on the drop in miles/kWh as of late. Highest plate I've seen to date ... just sent in the 2-yr renewal on our EL plates, nice at only $35 now good to 2015 !

I saw a 13XX plate on a Black Leaf two weeks ago or so.

brianchi73 said:
Does anyone use the remote climate control in the morning when plugged in to your 220? I have noticed that while it says that it should take the power from the wall...it also uses some battery. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but I have seen the first bar on my 12 bars disappear well before it did on the previous day with the same temperature and miles/kwh rating.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Since I'm usually trying to maximize my range in the winter...I've stopped using the pre-heat remote climate function. :-(

If you have an 11/12 Leaf, your heater will pull more energy than your OBC can supply.

Phatcat73 said:
brianchi73 said:

If you have an 11/12 Leaf, your heater will pull more energy than your OBC can supply.

Makes perfect sense. For anyone who has the 2013 model...what experience do you have? Also do you know how much your heat typically uses in the kwh meter? It's hard to keep mine under 1.5. Also I wish that Nissan would separate the eco/regular mode between climate and driving. I use eco mode to drive in the city because I like the way it kind of feels like down-shifting, but I use regular on the highway because I like the response. When I'm in eco driving mode...I have to put the heat on about 72 for the same output I would get at 62 in regular driving mode. If I go from eco to regular without remembering to adjust the heat...I could end up burning a lot of kwh pretty quickly.

I had previously posted about a formula that I use to figure my miles to empty since the car does such a horrible job at giving me this information accurately. What I do is reset my trip odometer and my miles/kWh every morning. Then I take m/kWh * 13 for an 80% charge and * 16 for a full charge. That gives me the total miles I can drive.

I put this to the test the other day when I was already needing to drive a lot more than usual. I had a few miles left to prove my theory, so I drove around my neighborhood until I got VLBW (Very Low Battery Warning). I didn't push it any further because the idea of turtle scares the hell out of me!

https://plus.google.com/photos/118372708882658192905/albums/5959271645592450033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In those photos you can see that I had miles/kWh average of 3.0. I had a full charge, so 3 * 16 = 48. I had 47.5 on the odometer, no bars left on the gauge and VLBW. Here's how it all went down in case you're not used to getting this low.

I had about 12 miles on miles to empty when I left work. It's about 9 miles one way to home. I had 2 bars on the meter. At this point the Leaf SUDDENLY becomes very accurate about miles to empty (which is good). The miles ticked off in step with the miles I was driving. I kept my eye on m/kWh anyway in case I had any major change.

Around 6 or 8 miles left I had one bar and I got LBW (Low Battery Warning) which I dismissed with the Exit button. At this point the miles to empty number blinks constantly.

In the next few miles I lost the last bar, so I had no bars on the gauge. I still had a blinking number until I got down to about 2 or 3. Then I got VLBW and the blinking number went to blinking dashes. I also had a message asking if I wanted to search for charging stations. I drove about 1/2 of a mile to get home. Like I said...I fear turtle! I'm not sure how many miles I could go from VLBW to turtle, and it was about 15 degrees out, so I didn't want to push it.

Thoughts?

Phatcat73 said:
I would suggest speaking with the dealership manager. they should all operate as 1 unit when it comes to customer charging as it promotes their brand. When I charged at another dealership, i had potential buyers come out to me to pick my brain along with salesmen asking about my ownership experience... i think I helped land a couple sales for them.

I posted something about their charging policy on their Face Book page asking if it were true, that only people who bought their Leaf there can charge there.

They answered saying, "yes that's correct, but they are looking into ways to address the issue differently.

greengate said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Skokie charging station is live!
I just sent the village manager a thumbs up congratulating them for their consciousness and forward thinking. :mrgreen:

According to the article in The Skokie Review, the station, (dual,) cost $16,000 of which half the cost is picked up under a grant.

Good deal. I'd like to see my village, (Wilmette,) get on board with this and have sent them this information with a hardy recommendation.

I wrote to my Village and they said they do not have the $8,000 to spend for this service.

I suggested a way they could have the $8,000 my noon: ticket the cars that do not move when the snow falls, saying there were 6 in my neighborhood alone. (It is against the law to not remove your car,) and to place onto the cost of the Village vehicle sticker..currently $80..a one dollar "carbon fee," or what ever amount would be necessary to fully fund the installation and maintenance of a charger for a year and to keep doing this until we have at least half a dozen charging stations.

There has been no reply to my suggestions. Perhaps too easy and realistic to implement.

brianchi73 said:
Phatcat73 said:

Makes perfect sense. For anyone who has the 2013 model...what experience do you have?
I loose up to 4 GIDs initially when I turn the preheat on while plugged in to 120V (don't have 240V yet) in my garage, but then the heater load goes down and the charger is able to restore the charge level within 45 minutes with heater still on.

Tomasz said:
brianchi73 said:
Phatcat73 said:

Makes perfect sense. For anyone who has the 2013 model...what experience do you have?
I loose up to 4 GIDs initially when I turn the preheat on while plugged in to 120V (don't have 240V yet) in my garage, but then the heater load goes down and the charger is able to restore the charge level within 45 minutes with heater still on.

Do you find that the GID meter helps when you get down to the last couple of kw? It seems like a more accurate measure.

brianchi73 said:
Tomasz said:

Do you find that the GID meter helps when you get down to the last couple of kw? It seems like a more accurate measure.
The lowest I've seen so far was 53 GIDS, never needed more. But having them displayed elevated my range anxiety, now I know how many GIDs does it take to get to some of the most frequent destinations (e.g. 18-19 GIDs to get to work, about 35 GIDs to get to the airport etc.) So now I almost never look at the GOM, I just look at GIDs and see if I can make whatever I have planned.

Anyone interested in a cargo cover from a 2013 Leaf? Local pickup only.

$100. They go for $200 from dealer.

I don't need it as my windows are tinted and only used it for about a week. PM me.

Back