Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
For now it is free

That's good!

I was already to move to Evanston…impressed with their consciousness…what a let down. One of the oil execs must have gotten to them…kill those electrics…yes, we know who killed the electric car…shine a beam of light on something and the darkness appears. :evil:

redLEAF said:
Before I forget … saw TWO EV's on the way home today both with IL electric vehicle plates. A nice charcoal gray LEAF with 696 and a black premium Tesla S showing 1121. Still are seeing many more Tesla's out in the 'burbs then new LEAF's … has anyone seen a 12xx series EL plate yet … nice to see registrations climbing past the 1,000 mark.

Another Tesla S sighting, this time a red one today on Lake Cook in Barrington, plate # 1244; observed outside temp 21 F, LEAF doesn't like these low temps based on the drop in miles/kWh as of late. Highest plate I've seen to date ... just sent in the 2-yr renewal on our EL plates, nice at only $35 now good to 2015 !

I was going to borrow a LEAF but they are 68 miles away from me.

It does not appear these two DC Fast Chargers are working tho. Looks like I would need to wait until spring?

Lake Forest Tollway Oasis
13783 W Oasis Service Rd, Lake Forest, IL 60045
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/9362" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

O-Hare Oasis
10201 Belle Plaine Ave., Schiller Park, IL, 60176
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/7243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8g0RRs8.png

Speaking of charging stations; we were out and about this past Saturday picking up an order at Abt in Glenview and was pleasantly surprised to see this L2 ChargePoint station in front of the store -- not a QC L3 but at least if you planned to do more than a quick pick-up they have it --- appeared to be operational but did not try it; and at least while we were there, no ICE's were parked in front of them blocking use by EV's as you can see:

WP_20131129_001A.jpg

redLEAF said:
Speaking of charging stations; we were out and about this past Saturday picking up an order at Abt in Glenview and was pleasantly surprised to see this L2 ChargePoint station in front of the store -- not a QC L3 but at least if you planned to do more than a quick pick-up they have it --- appeared to be operational but did not try it; and at least while we were there, no ICE's were parked in front of them blocking use by EV's as you can see:

WP_20131129_001A.jpg

Is it free? It looks like the new one at the Oakton Skokie yellow line, and that one is free.

I used the ABT charger and they couldn't have been nicer. There was a Ford C-Max charging up next to us and we got a lot of questions when we arrived and departed. It's free and they said they intend to keep it that way. We did buy a $2,000 fridge so they did make their money off of us!

I need to head up northwest tomorrow so I called M'Lady to see if I can stop and charge if needed as it's the only one out that way. They said no and were quite rude. Their charger is only for people who buy from them. So short-sighted!

ETA - Finally got our plates - we are in the 1300s.

r1234567 said:
I used the ABT charger and they couldn't have been nicer. There was a Ford C-Max charging up next to us and we got a lot of questions when we arrived and departed. It's free and they said they intend to keep it that way. We did buy a $2,000 fridge so they did make their money off of us!

I need to head up northwest tomorrow so I called M'Lady to see if I can stop and charge if needed as it's the only one out that way. They said no and were quite rude. Their charger is only for people who buy from them. So short-sighted!

Who's M'Lady?

greengate said:
r1234567 said:

Who's M'Lady?

Nissan Dealer in Crystal Lake ...

http://www.mladynissan.com/index.htm

I would suggest speaking with the dealership manager. they should all operate as 1 unit when it comes to customer charging as it promotes their brand. When I charged at another dealership, i had potential buyers come out to me to pick my brain along with salesmen asking about my ownership experience... i think I helped land a couple sales for them.

redLEAF said:

WP_20131129_001A.jpg
Plus 1.

Good on them.

I buy all of my appliances from them and have always had outstanding service.

I am not surprised to see that they are also providing this service.

Would guess that it is free.

IL EVSE Rebate Extended! While I was rushing to get the rebate in before the 12/19/13 deadline, I was told it would be extended. This is the official announcement...

Thank you for your interest in the Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Rebate Program offered by the Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity (DCEO).

We are pleased to announce that the application deadline for the current rebate program cycle is now extended to Thursday, April 17, 2014.

EV charging stations must be purchased and installed prior to submitting a rebate application.  Completed applications will be processed on a rolling basis.

PLEASE NOTE: 
All EV charging unit installations completed after December 31, 2013 (with the exception of self-installed units) must be performed by an installer that is certified by the Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC) under the rule on the “Certification for the Installation, Maintenance or Repair of Electric Vehicle Charging Stations” (83 Ill. Adm. Code, Ch I, Subch c, Part 469).  For information on the ICC’s rulemaking, please refer to ICC Case Number 12-0212 and the rulemaking workshop process.  Please check the ICC’s website for forthcoming details on the certification process.  Information will also be available from links on DCEO’s EV webpage: http://www.illinoisenergy.org/EV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Hi! New LEAF lessee here. Hillside/Elmhurst area. Could someone point me to a great electrician? I still need to install an EVSE. Also, could someone point me to the condo/apartment LEAF owners thread as well?

PMs would be preferred rather than this thread. Don't want to clutter things up. Thanks!

I highly recommend Greg from GDM Electric. You can read my review on yelp - User Mark T. I also posted photos of his work - Siemens EVSE and utility meter.

He also supplied me with the necessary paperwork to get the IL 50% rebate.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/gdm-electric-prospect-heights-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DougWantsALeaf said:
Skokie charging station is live!
I just sent the village manager a thumbs up congratulating them for their consciousness and forward thinking. :mrgreen:

According to the article in The Skokie Review, the station, (dual,) cost $16,000 of which half the cost is picked up under a grant.

Good deal. I'd like to see my village, (Wilmette,) get on board with this and have sent them this information with a hardy recommendation.

Phatcat73 said:
I highly recommend Greg from GDM Electric. You can read my review on yelp - User Mark T. I also posted photos of his work - Siemens EVSE and utility meter.

He also supplied me with the necessary paperwork to get the IL 50% rebate.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/gdm-electric-prospect-heights-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read your Yelp review, which was excellent BTW.

Since he speaks Polish, you'd better take him to The Red Apple, (either one,) on Milwaukee Ave in Chicago for their luncheon buffet!! :)

EVftw said:
Hi! New LEAF lessee here. Hillside/Elmhurst area. Could someone point me to a great electrician? I still need to install an EVSE. Also, could someone point me to the condo/apartment LEAF owners thread as well?

PMs would be preferred rather than this thread. Don't want to clutter things up. Thanks!

Sending you a PM -- at least 2 probably more on MNL forum have used my guy; dealt with the paperwork, etc. and has installed many EVSE's in NW 'burbs -- my EVSE (a Schneider EVlink) has just passed 2 years of installation and continues to perform well.

Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted. Last time it was about my mom's Leaf, but I'm happy to say last month I leased a 2013 Slate S of my own :D

A peculiar thing happened today though, I got regular plates in the mail to replace the temp plate. At the dealer, they charged me $35 or so, and I just wanted to check on here that the IL EV plates are still around for the discounted price since last year when my mom bought her car (my mom said she got a notice to renew hers, so I'm pretty sure they are) and that the EV plates don't exclude leased EVs or some other exclusion before I follow up with the dealer to see what happened.

Also, if I'm correct and have to follow up, I want to check that my understanding of the EV registration fee is correct. The $35 fee is for the two year period ending this year, and it's prorated by 6-month period, correct? I shouldn't have to pay the entire $35 fee for last month's registration if I'm eligible for EV plates. And then need to renew for the next two-year period that begins next month, yeah?

MeVirtually said:
Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted. Last time it was about my mom's Leaf, but I'm happy to say last month I leased a 2013 Slate S of my own :D

A peculiar thing happened today though, I got regular plates in the mail to replace the temp plate. At the dealer, they charged me $35 or so, and I just wanted to check on here that the IL EV plates are still around for the discounted price since last year when my mom bought her car (my mom said she got a notice to renew hers, so I'm pretty sure they are) and that the EV plates don't exclude leased EVs or some other exclusion before I follow up with the dealer to see what happened.

Also, if I'm correct and have to follow up, I want to check that my understanding of the EV registration fee is correct. The $35 fee is for the two year period ending this year, and it's prorated by 6-month period, correct? I shouldn't have to pay the entire $35 fee for last month's registration if I'm eligible for EV plates. And then need to renew for the next two-year period that begins next month, yeah?

I'm leasing and I was able to get the 2 year renewal for $35. When I did mine the dealer was kind of clueless, and they just transferred my current plate. I then went to the Driver Facility on Elston, and they were equally as clueless although I finally found ONE person who knew what they were talking about. I had to pay a little $ to switch from a regular plate to an EV plate, and they somehow made the expiration align with the end of 2013. I can't remember exactly how much that cost me.

Now I got a renewal for $35, but it's good until the end of 2015, so I think it's all good once you're on schedule. As for pro-rating I wouldn't expect it because they're more or less incompetent! :) Congrats on the Leaf!

Back