Chevrolet Spark EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that might be following (or stumble into) this thread looking for information on the Spark EV DC fast charge info, it can now be ordered at your Chevy dealer. The specific option codes are published here:

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/spark-ev/2014.tab3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The DC fast charge option can be ordered with RPO code CBT, which also includes code STO for the "remote stop" FOB. It is a $750 option that can be ordered independent of other options.

I put my order in for a white, 2LT, DC fast charge model last weekend. It could not come soon enough, but supposedly it will be November or December before the cars with DC fast charge start hitting dealer floors. Meanwhile, I've got a Think City to sell!

Bryce

jhm614 said:
re: the losing 10K on every car --- are you sure you aren't thinking of the Fiat 500e?
I concede it may have been Fiat. I must have gotten my "media" crossed...

So, if they're not losing ANY money on Sparky, what are they waiting for? Roll them out in every state, right?

Maybe the big oil said no, so NO it is at this time... :eek:

ILETRIC said:
jhm614 said:
re: the losing 10K on every car --- are you sure you aren't thinking of the Fiat 500e?
I concede it may have been Fiat. I must have gotten my "media" crossed...

"Despite overwhelmingly positive press for the Fiat 500e, the electric Fiat is known to be a bete-noir for Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne. ... Marchionne claimed that Fiat loses $10,000 on each 500e, describing it as “masochism”."

Toyota is losing a whole lot more than that per Rav4 EV.

Nashco said:
For those that might be following (or stumble into) this thread looking for information on the Spark EV DC fast charge info, it can now be ordered at your Chevy dealer. The specific option codes are published here: http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/spark-ev/2014.tab3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The DC fast charge option can be ordered with RPO code CBT, which also includes code STO for the "remote stop" FOB. It is a $750 option that can be ordered independent of other options.
I put my order in for a white, 2LT, DC fast charge model last weekend. It could not come soon enough, but supposedly it will be November or December before the cars with DC fast charge start hitting dealer floors. Meanwhile, I've got a Think City to sell! Bryce
HQFajLL.png

Nashco said:
Bryce
And where exactly do you expect to DC plug in? Just wondering, because there is not a single frankenplug charging outlet in the continental US installed as of this writing. At least that is what everybody says.

ILETRIC said:
Nashco said:
Bryce
And where exactly do you expect to DC plug in? Just wondering, because there is not a single frankenplug charging outlet in the continental US installed as of this writing. At least that is what everybody says.
There is, and it's not even all that far from you.

Sacramento getting some:

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/08/30/sacramento-first-with-dc-fast-chargers-with-sae-combo-chademo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ILETRIC said:
How far? Location, please...
voltmnl

PM sent.

EVDRIVER said:
Sacramento getting some:

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/08/30/sacramento-first-with-dc-fast-chargers-with-sae-combo-chademo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, and we could see more installations in the coming months. Nothing that would match the installed CHAdeMO base, but still hopefully something that would help drivers with the SAE combo plug.

ILETRIC said:
Nashco said:
Bryce

Exactly? Well, hopefully starting at Portland State University at the Electric Avenue:

http://www.sustainablebusinessoregon.com/articles/2013/08/new-ev-quick-charger-hits-oregon.html?page=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everybody doesn't say frankenplug, only SAE Combo haters say it. I've already stated my opinion on SAE combo earlier in this thread, won't bother repeating myself any more than I already have.

Bryce

EVDRIVER said:
Sacramento getting some:

Interesting that the press release doesn't say it will have frankenplug but says it can be upgraded to include frakenplug. Why not say they're going to install it if they are?

SAE Combo is just dandy with me. Even though we are now moving into Betamax/VHS war territory with GM staking out their claim with...a Spark! Or you might prefer to call it HD DVD vs. Bluray war. Either way, it's going to get very interesting... And I'll be watching from the sidelines while charging at home. :roll:

And what if it's Tesla who wins? In Slavic culture we have this saying: where two are fighting the third one wins. So, this just may bode well for Elon for all I know.

Personally, I have this nagging feeling I'll be driving Model L in about 4 years. So there.

ILETRIC said:
And what if it's Tesla who wins?
I think they have certainly taken the lead on DC fast charging here in the US. It's one of the major selling points of the car.

ILETRIC said:
SAE Combo is just dandy with me. Even though we are now moving into Betamax/VHS war territory with GM staking out their claim with...a Spark! Or you might prefer to call it HD DVD vs. Bluray war. Either way, it's going to get very interesting... And I'll be watching from the sidelines while charging at home. :roll:
The numbers are hardly anything like HD DVD vs. Bluray or Beta vs. VHS. It's almost like SACD or DVD-Audio vs. CDs + digital downloads or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Compact_Cassette" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; vs. CDs.

Stoaty said:
cwerdna said:
Stoaty said:
Surprised to see a billboard for the Chevy Spark a couple of days ago. For those in the San Fernando Valley (L.A. area), it is on the west side of Canoga Avenue a couple of blocks south of Sherman way.
You sure it was for the Spark EV and not the ICE Spark?
Yes, I was so surprised I triple checked it. Definitely for the EV version only.
Count me in as spotting a billboard too. Saw it yesterday and IIRC, it was on 101 south a somewhere before the 87 junction in/around San Jose/Santa Clara. It also was definitely for the Spark EV as it showed the white HOV stickers. I don't remember the ad copy as traffic was moving briskly.

I was surprised to see a Spark in Quebec City today. I haven't been following the thread and thought they were limited to the West Coast.

It was outside of the offices of AddEnergie, a company that manufactures charging stations and runs a network (reseauver) of them.

AddEnergie's CEO and a TV crew soon showed up to film a spot for a documentary series, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_It's_Made. I chatted with them and they weren't opposed to pictures. AddEnergie has the Spark in order to test the combo plug, but told me they would be available to the general public in Canada by early next year.

However, it looked to me like the Spark was only equipped to accept J1772's, the other part being just filled in with rubber. I meant to ask about this, but they got busy with filming and I had to leave.

I assume Chevy lent them the Spark because normally you only see license plates beginning with "F" here on rental or dealer vehicles.

Anyway, How it's made airs on the Canadian Discovery Channel and on the Science channel in the USA, so it's decent exposure for EV's.

2Vzscgv.jpg

4Ppor7p.jpg

PS: It's looking like I might have the MY13 rear-quarter panel alignment problem.

One thing about this Sparker. Nissan should go talk to GM how to design a real good GOM. That thing is razor-sharp. My wife was coming from the city tonight, ran an extra errand, and was not too happy with GOM showing 40 miles for a 30 mile ride home, city,fwy combo,(Sausalito and other hills included). She came home with 12 miles remaining.

Way to go Sparky! Not too mention the fact I was saved from having to deal with her if she happened not to make it home... Needless to say, I would never attempt to do the same trip with my Leaf. Way too unreliable.

Back