Chargepoint charger at Kohls in Ontario, CA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbleakne

Leaf Supporting Member
Today, Oct 3, I confirmed a report that Kohls in Ontario has a functioning Chargepoint station, although it does not yet show up on the Chargepoint map. The Kohls is located on the SW corner of 4th & Milliken Ave in Ontario, CA, about .5 miles N of I-10 using the Milliken exit.

The Chargepoint station is at the NE corner of the Kohls building. It is easy to overlook. There is no signage. Its location actually matches the advice I have seen on this forum, not a prominent location to discourage ICE interlopers.

It is currently free, but until it shows up on the map as a free station, I would not count on that. Twice before I have charged at new Chargepoint stations not yet on the map, and fees were imposed shortly thereafter.

IMG9538-M.jpg

In addition to Kohls, this location has the following eating options within 150 yards:
El Pollo Loco
Starbucks
Applebees
Oporto (chicken burgers)
Boston Pizza
Fatburger

Just across Milikan Ave. to the East is Ontario Mills, a very large mall, so there is lots of shopping, eating, etc in walking distance. Not nearly as classy as Victoria Gargdens, however.

I would think this location would be quite useful for people driving along I-10 who are getting tired of charging at Nissan dealerships.

Kohls seems to be making a real effort to go Green. To date 112 of their stores have large solar arrays on their roofs. I could not find any confirmation that installing EV charging stations is corporate policy, but other Kohls stores do have EV.

Thanks for the report. In addition, the Panda Inn is not far away (Haven Ave and the 10 freeway). It would be easy to go there if you are meeting someone in an ICE car who can pick you up at Kohls.

Excellent find! I just made a call a few days ago to the Ontario Mills Mall to confirm that all of their old legacy EVSEs are permanently out of service...

We have tons of Kohls stores out our way so it's great to see these -- they also had to bury cable (as noticed by the fresh repaving of the lane just above the parked LEAF) versus simply running cable under a walk way, etc. so they definitely spent some bucks putting this in. It's also great that it's not an 'isolated' location where you can do other things besides just shop at the Kohls while your car charges.

We charged at this Kohl's location a bit over a week ago when my wife picked me up from the Ontario airport. Due to the lateness of the hour (11 PM), the store was closed, so we walked briskly for an hour while the car finished charging up to 100%. (We needed a full charge for the 45 miles and 5000 feet of elevation gain to return home; even still, we got a "low battery" warning upon reaching our neighborhood.) Kudos to Kohl's for supporting EV drivers and making efforts to practice environmental stewardship; we are therefore inclined to choose Kohl's over their competitors.

Also, has anyone been able to find a list of the Kohl's locations with EV charging? For another data point, their store in Redlands, CA does not currently offer charging; we checked.

abasile said:
...Also, has anyone been able to find a list of the Kohl's locations with EV charging? For another data point, their store in Redlands, CA does not currently offer charging; we checked.
SAN FRANCISCO – Thursday, December 15, 2011 – ECOtality, Inc. (NASDAQ:ECTY), a leader in clean electric transportation and storage technologies, announced today a partnership with Kohl’s Department Stores (NYSE: KSS ) to install Blink® Pedestal electric vehicle (EV) charging stations at 14 Kohl’s locations nationwide. As the newest EV Project partner, Kohl’s will work together with ECOtality to identify sites for the charging stations in EV Project markets in California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Tennessee.

“Kohl’s Department Stores is one of the retail industry’s biggest sustainability advocates. Kohl’s corporate commitment to green building practices and renewable energy integration aligns perfectly with ECOtality’s mission to establish a rich EV charging infrastructure that encourages EV adoption,” said Jonathan Read, CEO of ECOtality, Inc. “We are excited to partner with Kohl’s to take its sustainability efforts one step further—and bring our Blink charging stations to destinations that EV drivers frequent.”

This in addition to ChargePoint installs is a serious effort;

http://www.kohlsgreenscene.com/Energy/EnergyEfficiency.html

KeiJidosha said:
abasile said:
...Also, has anyone been able to find a list of the Kohl's locations with EV charging? For another data point, their store in Redlands, CA does not currently offer charging; we checked.
SAN FRANCISCO – Thursday, December 15, 2011 – ECOtality, Inc. (NASDAQ:ECTY), a leader in clean electric transportation and storage technologies, announced today a partnership with Kohl’s Department Stores (NYSE: KSS ) to install Blink® Pedestal electric vehicle (EV) charging stations at 14 Kohl’s locations nationwide. As the newest EV Project partner, Kohl’s will work together with ECOtality to identify sites for the charging stations in EV Project markets in California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Tennessee.
>>>>

This in addition to ChargePoint installs is a serious effort;
Thanks for this report, Matt. I thought perhaps Kohls stores that had roof-top solar would also have EV charging, and one can check for solar using Google Earth, but there are many more Kohls solar roofs than 14 stores. These are large solar installations.

Back