Charging in Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, CA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pasadena Electric Vehicle Fair
Saturday, March 31
10:30am - 12:30 pm
Pasadena City Hall
http://energycenter.org/index.php?option=com_civicrm&task=civicrm/event/info&reset=1&id=757" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Plug-In Electric Vehicles: Innovation, Incentives and Infrastructure

The California Center for Sustainable Energy (CCSE), in partnership with the City of Pasadena and Pasadena Water and Power, is holding a free workshop for Californians interested in learning more about life as a plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) owner.

This unique workshop provides a one-stop shop for information about:

* - The up to $2,500 rebate available through California’s Clean Vehicle Rebate Project
* - Local utility PEV rates and programs
* - Regional activity on public infrastructure
* - The financial and environmental benefits of owning an PEV

A panel of your neighbors will share a range of their experiences from purchasing a PEV, installing a charging station as well as the financial benefits associated with making the switch to a PEV.

If you have any questions or need any additional information please feel free to email or call Colin Santulli at 858-244-1195 or [email protected].

The California Center for Sustainable Energy, a San Diego-based non-profit, administers the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project. CCSE is conducting workshops throughout the State in order to promote the CVRP and to educate consumers on electric vehicle technologies, new electric vehicle charging infrastructure and important consumer information regarding these vehicles.
When March 31st, 2012 10:30 AM through 2:00 PM

100 North Garfield Ave.
Pasadena, CA 91109
United States

Pasadena: J1772s have been installed in the Schoolhouse Garage and reportedly in the other garages that had legacy stations previously. Clipper Creek units. No fee for charging. Parking- 90 minutes free then $1/hour.

91040 said:
Pasadena: J1772s have been installed in the Schoolhouse Garage and reportedly in the other garages that had legacy stations previously. Clipper Creek units. No fee for charging. Parking- 90 minutes free then $1/hour.
Thanks for the information!!!

Update on this thread: Metro has installed (and has gotten working) an EV charging station at their Sierra Madre Villa station, on Sierra Madre Villa at the 210 Freeway. I also posted it on PlugShare.

You will need to sign up for an RFID card through their website: http://www.metro.net/projects/ev/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Note that it is NOT easy to find where the chargers are....as I posted on PlugShare, you have to enter from the Sierra Madre Villa side, stay to the far right lane, and stay to the right of the ramp going upstairs. DO NOT go up to the second level. Charging stations are on the first level on the freeway side of the garage.

There is a large shopping center a block away containing a Best Buy, Bed Bath and Beyond, Chick's Sporting Goods, Nordstrom Rack, Old Navy, etc. Target and OSH are a short walk away on the opposite side of the freeway. Other than Acapulco (?) and Chipotle not a lot of eating options without walking a few blocks east towards Rosemead Blvd where the Hastings Ranch Shopping Center is located.

There's also a free charging station at the Metro in Sylmar. 2 Eaton units and there's a small grey on-off box on the left side of each one to turn them off.

I updated the Plugshare info since it was outdated abit.

Jason

4c6190d487cf04483e19357154a0b0e5.jpg

The LaCanada High school now has a Chargepoint station in its parking lot, .25 cents a KWH. This is just off the 210, but there is a gate so it likely is not always available.

They've been operational for a while, but for those who will be frequenting downtown Glendale, Americana at Brand has some Blink stations in their parking structure. You do have to pay to park there and pay Blink a separate fee to charge, but if you buy from Americana stores and restaurants they do validate for up to a certain amount.

I wish the City of Glendale were more like their neighbors in Burbank and Pasadena and install charging stations in city-owned lots and parking structures. But all they have so far is a single Blink station at City Hall.

In addition to those stations, the Nissan and BMWi dealers on Brand Blvd have their own charging stations, plus Nissan just got their QC operational. I don't know how receptive they are over at BMW in letting a competitor's car charge there though.

91040 said:
[
Pasadena:

Schoolhouse Garage 33 East Green St, Pasadena, CA 91105 http://www.recargo.com/sites/906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
213 S De Lacey Ave. (3 blocks south of Colorado Boulevard) http://carstations.com/9802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PRIVATE CalStart, 48 S. Chester Avenue PRIVATE
CalTech- Lot 2, 405 S Wilson Ave. http://www.plugshare.com?charger=5218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CalTech- Lot 4, 370 S Holliston Ave. http://www.plugshare.com?charger=5253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pasadena City College- Lot 1 corner of Colorado & Hill http://carstations.com/10617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pasadena City College- Lot 5 Bonnie Avenue http://carstations.com/10616" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pasadena- CalTech & PCC have usage fees.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The School House parking lot has 1 paddle charging unit and two double NEMA 5-20, 120v outlets. There are two EV parking spots there. You need to go two levels down then back up to the first level to get to them (Northwest corner). First 90 minutes parking is free, after that $2 per hour with a $6 maximum. Late night entry is a flat fee.

Info: http://www.oldpasadena.org/info.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

213 S De Lacey Ave Pasadena, California, 91105 (3 blocks south of Colorado Boulevard) http://carstations.com/9802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is one ChargePoint J1772 EVSE in each of the 2 underground garages located at an apartment (condo) complex. Does not seem to be a fee to park. Posted fee for using the EVSEs is $3/hour. They are operated by Carcharging Inc.

1) Enter on West side of De Lacey Street just North of Del Mar. Turn right at bottom of the ramp. Continue to the right.
2) Enter on South side of Valley Street mid block (between De Lacey & South Pasadena Ave). Turn left at the bottom of the ramp then right to the far corner.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pasadena City College L2s: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4670&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You may also want to add the city-owned lot at 686 E. Union, northeast corner of Union and El Molino. It's a pay lot but when I charged there one night the lot was open and nobody there to enforce the fees. It uses a Clipper Creek EVSE so no fees for charging.

RonDawg said:
You may also want to add the city-owned lot at 686 E. Union, northeast corner of Union and El Molino. It's a pay lot but when I charged there one night the lot was open and nobody there to enforce the fees. It uses a Clipper Creek EVSE so no fees for charging.

This lot has one of those ticket dispensing machines that you purchase a ticket from that goes on your dash. There's never an attendant.

It is $1/hour and $5 max from 6AM-2AM. The City is strict about parking violations so it's better not to take risks. There's only one spot and one charger at this lot, so please move your car once you've gotten charged up. There's a Target, Vroman's Books, Zeli Coffee, many restaurants, small record store, Kinko's, an independent movie theater and an Office Max all within short walking distance of this lot. To me this is the most useful charging location in Pasadena. I've started shopping at this Target for most of my household goods.

I love that the city has placed a charger in such a great location for running errands. The other Pasadena City chargers are also in busy areas but not really near any stores or services I use often (mostly clothing stores and chain restaurants). I happily await the day that a Pasadena grocery store puts in an L2 charger! I'd go there exclusively.

The 2nd most useful Pasadena charger (to me) is PCC (neither free parking nor charging), there's a Kinko's, a bakery, a pub, many places to eat, a coffee shop, Wells Fargo and a pretty campus to take a walk through.

happyZEVer said:
RonDawg said:

This lot has one of those ticket dispensing machines that you purchase a ticket from that goes on your dash. There's never an attendant.

It is $1/hour and $5 max from 6AM-2AM. The City is strict about parking violations so it's better not to take risks. There's only one spot and one charger at this lot, so please move your car once you've gotten charged up. There's a Target, Vroman's Books, Zeli Coffee, many restaurants, small record store, Kinko's, an independent movie theater and an Office Max all within short walking distance of this lot. To me this is the most useful charging location in Pasadena. I've started shopping at this Target for most of my household goods.

I love that the city has placed a charger in such a great location for running errands. The other Pasadena City chargers are also in busy areas but not really near any stores or services I use often (mostly clothing stores and chain restaurants). I happily await the day that a Pasadena grocery store puts in an L2 charger! I'd go there exclusively.

The 2nd most useful Pasadena charger (to me) is PCC (neither free parking nor charging), there's a Kinko's
, a bakery, a pub, many places to eat, a coffee shop, Wells Fargo and a pretty campus to take a walk through.

Is the PCC lot accessible after hours? That's more important to me than having to pay for parking and/or charging. You're technically not allowed to park at the El Molino/Union lot between 2 and 6 AM, though I don't know how strictly Pasadena Police enforces that.

If I need an after-hours boost, and I'm in the Pasadena area, I'll often just go to the Sierra Madre Villa Metro station. Parking is free (the booths are unstaffed), and while charging is not, it's $1/hr (same as the parking fee at El Molino/Union) with a $3 cap.

Hi RonDawg,
I can go by and double check the posted rules but the PCC website states that the lot is accessible but you need an overnight permit to park 12AM-6AM. The campus is pretty deserted at night and there aren't any gates there, so if you stayed with the car (sounds like you do if you're going to Sierra Madre late night instead), it might be ok. It is definitely a little less creepy feeling than Sierra Madre at night. I don't like how you're hidden in such a secluded area at Sierra Madre.

I charged here when I was trying out a Leaf rental and didn't realize I needed a pass. It was 10 or so and I walked around the campus and over to Caltech to check out their Chargepoint charger locations. Those garages also seem to require some kinds of passes for late night parking. There's an amazing COIN OPERATED large paddle charger in one of the garages.

I didn't get any kind of ticket while parked at PCC for a couple of hours, so not sure if I got lucky or if regulation is lax late at night.

I'll take a closer look the next time I'm at PCC. If you go during the day and you have a sweet tooth, check out the bakery across Colorado near the Kinko's. It's great! Also, I forgot to mention that there's free (but slow) wi-fi in the library. You don't need a student ID to enter the library and if you look around, you can find a quiet enough spot to work on your laptop or read.

The Bad, The Good and The Ugly:

As many probably know, charging at the Delacey Garage has been down for a while and the Schoolhouse Garage has been out for a week. For a work around, see the end of this post.

At Schoolhouse:
The paddle unit has been moved to the left in front of a parking slot that is not yet marked for EVs. Maybe there will be an additional EV spot?
The 120VAC receptacles have been removed.
A new 225A Circuit Breaker panel with 4 dual 40A circuits, at present, with a 2" conduit connection. Possibly another L2 will be added?

A new 100A, 600V, 3 phase fusible disconnect with 1.25" conduit.

A new 3' x 2.5' concrete pad was place in the gore point between the leftmost EV slot and the parking slot next to it (with the paddle charger). Drawn on it is the location of a bollard and a 2' x 2' square. Looks like a QC will be installed?

No word on completion or on getting what was already there functioning again. The expectation is that you should not hold your breath!

There is a 20A 120VAC circuit at the bottom of the ramp that leads to the charging stations (N wall near NE corner). It is in a rectangular box that was not locked. The circuit is live, the EVSE showed ready but I did not try to charge. Note: there is also a 240VAC NEMA 10-30 there but it is not hooked up!

11/13/13
The Charging Stations in the Schoolhouse structure are still out of commission. No one working there this afternoon. The concrete pad pictured above has been removed and a new one poured for the right most spot.

Also added is this "smart unit" with Wifi connector, router and control modules.

Meanwhile no one can charge!

One additional level 2 charger has been added to the pay lot at El Molino and Union (near Vroman's) in Pasadena. Love this lot. I usually go grab a bite at Tender Greens, browse at Vroman's and pick up something at Target when I park here.

The Schoolhouse charging stations are ready to go and will be functional as soon as they pass inspection. The reason for all of this was to put the stations on a separate meter, have the ability to monitor usage and the capacity to add more stations. Looks like 6 more 30A units would be possible. It turned out the pedestal and feed was for the transformer, not a QC. It is fed by 480VAC 3ø service putting out 208 and 120VAC.

happyZEVer said:
One additional level 2 charger has been added to the pay lot at El Molino and Union (near Vroman's) in Pasadena.

I used this new EVSE (Eaton) several weeks ago and it didn't seem to charge my car as fast as the old Clipper Creek unit adjacent, even though I have an older Leaf.

Back