Charge at RV site.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnqh

I have a camping trip coming up.

While looking at the campground info, I suddenly got the idea of renting an RV site instead of a tent site. It is only a few dollars more, but has electric hookup.

The camping site is about 76 miles away, it should be within the range of my Leaf. So, this could be an ideal set up for me.

However, I have never used RV park before (since I don't have an RV). I will use their 110v outlet with trickle charger since I am staying overnight anyway. I understand that I will need to bring an adapter. Other than that, is there anything else I am missing or need to pay attention to?

At 73 miles, you're going to need more than "overnight" to fully recharge the car.

You need "30 amp" RV service, and an adapter from TT-30 to normal household three prong plug-in. That should be at any RV store and many hardware stores.

If you have the charging cord that came with the car upgraded to 240 volt service, you can use the "50 amp" RV service with a NEMA 14-50 adapter. That will fully charge the car in under 8 hours.

TonyWilliams said:
At 73 miles, you're going to need more than "overnight" to fully recharge the car.

You need "30 amp" RV service, and an adapter from TT-30 to normal household three prong plug-in. That should be at any RV store and many hardware stores.

If you have the charging cord that came with the car upgraded to 240 volt service, you can use the "50 amp" RV service with a NEMA 14-50 adapter. That will fully charge the car in under 8 hours.

We are staying for multiple nights, so there is no need to charge back to 100% on the second day.

They don't have any kind of usage limit, do they?

I know the trickle charge is supposed to be 12amp. What happens when I plug it into the 30amp outlet? Will it damage the car or the cord?

johnqh said:
They don't have any kind of usage limit, do they?
No, not in my experience at least. It might be a good idea to call them before you go on the trip to make sure that the site will live up to your expectations.

Only monthly rentals get into paying the electric meter. No usage limit for transients. You certainly will not use as much as an RV.
the 30 amp will not help as it is only 120 volts.

Note of pre-caution... check the rules/with the campground first that they'll allow you to occupy a "RV" site without an RV.

We are most likely camping this weekend and this particular park does not allow non-RV campers on RV sites. If we do stay there, we will see if they take suggestions and will submit a request for them to consider accomodating electric vehicles. Like you, we don't mind paying the little extra! Although we have an upgraded EVSE, this park only has 120v.

We have previously stayed at another park that had water and electricity sites for tent campers. We didn't have the upgraded EVSE then, but this park also only had 120 volts (for the tent campers... not sure about the RV sites). So we used the EVSE that came with the LEAF, no adapters required.

TonyWilliams said:
The bolded part is important. Get it upgraded at http://evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

OP: Do not plug in the stock 120 volt EVSE (trickle charge cord set (cord w/brick, plug and J1772 handle)) into a 200+ volt outlet w/adapters. You will blow it.

johnqh said:
The camping site is about 76 miles away, it should be within the range of my Leaf.

I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this (though Tony did hint at it), but you'll be at the very edge of the Leaf's range. It will be imperative of you to keep your speed down and climate control use to a bare minimum.

How many people and much cargo do you plan to put in the car? Weight is going to take a toll on range (just like on an ICEV too), and if you plan on using a rooftop carrier, so will the added aerodynamic resistance.

Definitely have a backup plan to charge somewhere along the way. Assuming you have a QC port on your car, is there a QC along your route? Otherwise you will need to allot extra time in case your range doesn't turn out as you hoped.

RonDawg said:
johnqh said:
The camping site is about 76 miles away, it should be within the range of my Leaf.

I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this (though Tony did hint at it), but you'll be at the very edge of the Leaf's range. It will be imperative of you to keep your speed down and climate control use to a bare minimum.
On that note, OP should use Google Earth (http://priuschat.com/threads/google-earth-can-give-you-an-elevation-profile-of-a-route-between-2-points.100653/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to see what the elevation change is to/from the destination. 76 miles w/net elevation gain at highway speeds == not making it w/o charging in the middle.

I am not concerned about the range. Right now we get about 92 miles fully charged, and the way to the campground is mostly surface street. No roof rack. We can easily stop at a Nissan dealer 25 miles before the destination if needed.

Only standard 110v cord here. I will be very careful about the adapter.

Will call to check if they allow non-RV

johnqh said:
I am not concerned about the range. Right now we get about 92 miles fully charged, and the way to the campground is mostly surface street. No roof rack. We can easily stop at a Nissan dealer 25 miles before the destination if needed.

Have you actually driven 92 miles between charges, or are you going by the Estimated Range To Empty reading, better known as the "Guess-o-Meter?" If it is the latter, you will find yourself stranded sooner rather than later.

I would plan on stopping at that Nissan dealer on the way and possibly on the way back.

Personally, if I think/know I will driving my Leaf more than 50 miles in a day, I always make a backup charging plan. Unexpected things like forced detours are an inconvenience with an ICEV but can really ruin your day with a BEV whose realistic range is only in the 2 digits.

johnqh said:

You've driven 92 miles on an single charge? Not based on the GOM?

As for Nissan dealer, do you know their charging policies? Will they let you charge? Do they have a L2 EVSE or better yet, a DC fast (CHAdeMO) charger? Do you have the QC port? Do you have other backup plans along the way?

As for being "very careful", if you're not going to get the stock EVSE upgraded, if it won't fit w/o an adapter, don't plug it in until you've measured the outlet's voltage! If it's higher than 120, you will blow your EVSE.

http://www.teslamotors.com/charging#/outlet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; under Adapter Guide has some pics. Someone else can post a more complete guide.

As for using the stock 120 volt EVSE, as Tony's pointing out, it will charge very slowly at 120 volts: about 21-22 hours to go from 0 to full.

Also, any elevation changes to your campsite that might affect range?

Good that you know about the Nissan dealership. It'll be a great stop to add a little range insurance and access a "nice" restroom :) .

+100 ft elevation change.

Yes, the Nissan dealer on the way has QC and we have QC charger open to public, and there are several public L2 chargers within blocks of that dealership at civic center etc. We may do a 15-minute charge at the QC for a little assurance.

cwerdna said:
On that note, OP should use Google Earth (http://priuschat.com/threads/google-earth-can-give-you-an-elevation-profile-of-a-route-between-2-points.100653/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to see what the elevation change is to/from the destination. 76 miles w/net elevation gain at highway speeds == not making it w/o charging in the middle.

Although some have questioned its accuracy, if the OP has an SV or SL model, he can use the CarWings route planner to see if he may have to charge along the way. Click on "Energy Usage Database" for a graph of the elevation changes along the way.

I went camping at Mt. Madonna close to Gilroy. I just had a regular campsite but they let me charge in any open RV sites. I just left my reservation printout on the dash and all was good. They were certainly EV friendly.

johnqh said:
The adapter you want looks like this:
30A-RV-Adapter.jpg

You can't go wrong on voltage if you use that one. It only plugs in to 30A outlets, and those are always 120v in RV parks.

As others have said, you might find a standard 15A or 20A outlet at an RV site, but all RV sites have 30A outlets, so get one of those adapters. They only cost a few dollars.

One more point: The power outlets at RV sites are invariably on pedestals. You might be able to lay your brick on top of the pedestal, but that depends on the construction. You may want to take a stand or cord to support it.

Ray

planet4ever said:
The power outlets at RV sites are invariably on pedestals. You might be able to lay your brick on top of the pedestal, but that depends on the construction. You may want to take a stand or cord to support it.
Or you could do this. Great advice BTW.

spxpowerxpressbigsur

Back