Chadoem to CCS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mally52

I want to buy a second hand Nissan Leaf. I already have a charger at home but is CCS charger, is there an adapter so i can use my existing charger and plug into the leaf? Or would i have to install a second charger at home.

You probably do not have a CCS charger but an AC charger with a J1772 connector, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

You can charge your Leaf with that.

For fast charging, you do however consider the DC charge options for where ever you go, as Chademo will probably be phased out over the coming years. For a Leaf with limited range you should in general not be using it for long trips anyways, but just so that you know it. There is a CCS->Chademo connector being beta-tested currently, but ti is very expensive.

Homes in the USA and Canada are almost universally supplied with 120/240 volt AC electricity.

Lingo
A port is analogous to a receptacle in the home. It is in the car
The EVSE is a long cable with a box of electronics that ends in a plug. You plug it into the car

All LEAF and CCS EVs made for the USA charge at home via a J-1772 port and a J-1772 EVSE (AKA home charging). The home charging solution already at your home is a J-1772 EVSE (we know this because it charged a CCS EV), so you are good to go. Depending on the LEAF model and year you might have an additional DC fast charging CHAdeMO port, but in the same location there will always be a J-1772 port.

Charging speed depends on the home's electrical circuit, the specific EVSE, and the specific LEAF. Even the oldest LEAFs could charge up to 3 kW, although from about 2016 all LEAFs charge up to 6 kW. Each kW is about 3 - 4 miles of range added per hour of charging. Put another way, so long as your electric circuit and EVSE can support 3 kW or more, any LEAF will take on at least 100 miles of range from overnight charging if there is enough battery capacity.

Photos
The photo on the left is the plug end of the J-1772 EVSE. The other end of the EVSE connects to the home electricity. The photo on the right shows a LEAF with both J-1772 and DC ports. You can click on a photo for a larger picture.
Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 7.01.36 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-02-11 at 7.06.34 AM.png

Last edited:
You probably do not have a CCS charger but an AC charger with a J1772 connector, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

For fast charging, you do however consider the DC charge options for where ever you go, as Chademo will probably be phased out over the coming years. For a Leaf with limited range you should in general not be using it for long trips anyways, but just so that you know it. There is a CCS->Chademo connector being beta-tested currently, but ti is very expensive.
I am

"For a Leaf with limited range you should in general not be using it for long trips anyways," I Have to disagree. I agree that it is a bit of a challenge to drive long distances but not sure it makes any difference in battery life. 100k miles driving long distances is the same as 100k driving short distances. The key is to drive and charge within a good temperature range. I drive between SF and Palm Springs with an overnight stop near Bakersfield making about a dozen L3 stops. I drive about 80 miles and then make a 15 minute charging stop. Works well as long as the L3 chargers are working and available. Trick is to have all the charging apps updated, funded and RFID cards in place.

"For a Leaf with limited range you should in general not be using it for long trips anyways," I Have to disagree. I agree that it is a bit of a challenge to drive long distances but not sure it makes any difference in battery life.

He was saying a small capacity/ slow DC charging EV is annoying at best to take on long trips. Even my 300 mile range Tesla can be a bit of a chore on long trips. A lot depends on where and when you travel, and car speed. Many a driver has gotten used to 80 mph travel speeds. Try that in the winter with a a 10 - 20 mph headwind in *any* EV available today. Even in a new Tesla, you will stop to charge every hour, and that presumes ideal spacing of Tesla Superchargers

Last edited:
I drive between SF and Palm Springs with an overnight stop near Bakersfield making about a dozen L3 stops.
That's pretty amazing. For me personally, I would not have the patience.

Regarding battery life there are a number of known parameters which affects the battery life. But most of these are related to long term temperature and long term high/low SoC. I don't know how driving road trips with elevated battery temperatures affects the battery life.

In any case I would advise against buying a second hand Leaf if the OP wants to use it as a daily driver for longer trips; that will be a complete waste of time IMO.

He was saying a small capacity/ slow DC charging EV is annoying at best to take on long trips. Even my 300 mile range Tesla can be a bit of a chore on long trips. A lot depends on where and when you travel, and car speed. Many a driver has gotten used to 80 mph travel speeds. Try that in the winter with a a 10 - 20 mph headwind in *any* EV available today. Even in a new Tesla, you will stop to charge every hour, and that presumes ideal spacing of Tesla Superchargers
I would not take the old 2015 because that battery was too small but the larger 40 kilowatt which is closer to 37 works ok particularly if you're in no hurry and not on any schedule. During the 15 minute intervals that I am charging I am using the time to double check the next stop ahead. You want to pick cities to charge that have multiple charging options if possible and be prepared to fall back to level 2 charging if things don't fall in place. Also it is a good idea to invest in the tesla adapter since tesla has a network of destination chargers. What I am saying is don't let the size of your battery discourage you from the adventure ahead.

That's pretty amazing. For me personally, I would not have the patience.

Regarding battery life there are a number of known parameters which affects the battery life. But most of these are related to long term temperature and long term high/low SoC. I don't know how driving road trips with elevated battery temperatures affects the battery life.

In any case I would advise against buying a second hand Leaf if the OP wants to use it as a daily driver for longer trips; that will be a complete waste of time IMO.
The trick in making more stops is that you never spend a lot of time in any single spot. The advantage of the smaller battery is the car handles better. No problem doing 70 on I 10 getting around the big trucks.CHADEMO is a mixed blessing. Can be hard to locate the ones that work but not a lot of users. ChargePoint has the best network but I try to shop around.

Attachments

• apps.jpg
    apps.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Yeah, only 2000$ for two... I guess you could get a used Leaf for that price... ;-)

maybe you dont understand....everything costs a lot in the beginning, 1000$ leaf, show me one :)

One advantage would be rentals. I would buy the CCS1 to ChaDeMo right now if I was going to drive over +600 miles in some direction that has no ChaDeMo stations, but my luck is in all my trips I do at that distance have good enough ChaDeMo stations to keep the trip going.

But...if I could rent one and not have to pay $1000 for it, that would be a useful option. Unless one is really doing that much road trippin' in the Leaf, owning one doesn't seem financially feasible. Renting one though, that would work. ;)

That's every I am struggling. I want to buy an adapter just to support the growth/availability of them, but my long distance routes have very good Chademo coverage, so can't really justify it. Maybe in a year if Chademo locations start going down.

Back