Chademo Score Card: Eastern TN: 6 - So Cal: 1

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TRONZ said:
All I can say is, any business that offers L3 is OK in my book.

FWIW as short as my average trips are I'd be happy with L2 locations being common. If I'm ever driving long enough to need a L3 I'll likely use a PHEV or HV instead.

The only scenario I can think of off the top of my head that would push me down the road in an EV is a nuclear emergency warning. Counting my blessings I can say I've never heard one in my 40+ years of living near multiple nuclear facilities.

I suppose one of these days when I retire my last gas fueled vehicle I'll have a different attitude.

hill said:
TNleaf said:
I'm pretty sure TN has more Cracker Barrels than CA. That accounts for 4 of the 6 L3 chargers. . . . . . . snip Moral of the story: CA should get more Cracker Barrells :D
My better half LOVES their gift shops (we go to the OpryLand location while visiting our daughter) . . . . but the food (imo) is so very mediocre. Their cutomer base of very large people don't seem to mind. :D Still, I'd be more than happy to choke down comfort food, for a Chademo

Today’s WAPO has a story on the Whole Foods/Cracker barrel cultural divide.

Too bad Whole foods won’t apply their “eco-scale” to their California locations, and put in Chademos. like Cracker Barrel does for it’s Tennessee customers.

You can’t find this place out where I live,” laments a middle-aged man from Arlington to a white-haired shopkeeper at Manassas’s Cracker Barrel on a recent Saturday. Over the store’s speaker system, a country singer croons about going back to the way things were. In the dining room, a heaping plate of the restaurant’s signature “Chicken n’ Dumplins” sells for $7.39. More than a dozen pickup trucks — and just six European cars — dot the parking lot less than a mile from the Civil War battlefield.

The same day, 26 miles closer to Washington, an attendant herds four Toyota Priuses and eight German luxury cars around a parking lot at Clarendon’s Whole Foods, the nerve center of a posh neighborhood that has spawned three boutique cupcakeries and two frozen-yogurt shops in the past two years. Inside, a quart of organic pomegranate juice runs $10.99. Large placards celebrate Whole Foods’ seven “core values,” its five-step animal-welfare rating system and a three-color “eco-scale” for household cleaning products...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/will-the-2012-election-be-a-contest-of-whole-foods-vs-cracker-barrel-shoppers/2011/09/28/gIQAMuXDiO_story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, In Shasta County, where I live, we don’t have either a Cracker Barrel or a Whole foods, but we do have plenty of folks who carry firearms.

Kind of hard to get an accurate count, since a lot of folks don’t recognize the restriction on their 2nd amendment of rights, and carry without a permit, and there are problems with the CCW permit count, as reported below...

We're quiet about how well-armed we are in Shasta County, but it's an open secret that, thanks to 2nd Amendment-friendly sheriffs, more locals have the right to carry concealed weapons than almost anywhere else in California.

Indeed, for years we had the second-highest total number of concealed-carry permits of any county, lagging only Kern County - think Bakersfield - which has more than four times our population.

Then all of a sudden, earlier in this decade, that number plunged. From a recent high of 3,361 in 2003, the state attorney general's office reports that the number of CCW permits fell to 2,685 in 2004 and 2,306 in '07.

It's not a race to be the pistol-packingest county, but if it were, we'd be off the podium. Kern still leads, but Fresno, Tulare and San Bernardino counties have surpassed Shasta in the number of concealed-carry permits.

Has the county gone all squishy and liberal? We don't think so.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but it's hard not to draw a line between the drop and the recent firing of a Sheriff's Office records clerk, who is also reportedly under police investigation, in the alleged theft of permit fees paid in cash.

Sheriff Tom Bosenko said the employee is believed to have taken the cash and given applicants copies of permits, but not filed the paperwork. That could, potentially, create serious legal problems for honest citizens who believe they hold bona fide permits, but the sheriff says the department will fix, at no charge, any bad permits.

How many are there? The sheriff said the department had identified at least 100 victims, but that could be just a start...

http://www.redding.com/news/2009/aug/06/by-the-numbers-gun-permit-case-could-be-massive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LEAFfan said:
N952JL said:
I always thought TX had more handgun permits?

It isn't TN or TX. It's NY and IN is next.
Heck, that ain't nothin'. Our 2nd home is in Montana - you don't even need a concealed weapon permit, unless you're in an incorporated city. Can you imagine? Winter temps are -15, and folks enter the bank with ski masks and concealed weapons, and no one thinks anything about it. :D
Then there are states like Alaska, Arizona, Vermont and Wyoming where you don't need a permit, regardless of where you are (Montana is working on legislation to be like these 4 states). ;)

We had a Cracker Barrel near Knotts Berry Farm. It failed. Heck, if they'd of had a Chademo, I'd have even gone there and eaten liver and onions (gag - I think I just tasted bile in the back of my throat :lol: ).
DaveinOlyWA said:
latest report; WA will get 9 QC's by feb 15th.
Why - YOU bastards!
oh! . . . . I mean . . . congratulations!
:lol:

hill said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
latest report; WA will get 9 QC's by feb 15th.
Why - YOU bastards!
oh! . . . . I mean . . . congratulations!
:lol:

well seeing is believing. those same 9 were supposed to be installed by Nov 30th!

here is quote from one of the Leaf owners who went to Seattle to show off their Leaf and get a QC

600 CHAdeMO chargers already installed nation wide? 20 already in WA?? That's what the guy running the generator told us today. I made him repeat himself about 4 times. He told me that virtually all of them are awaiting certification. Does anyone know how validate any of this, I'm skeptical but would love it if it were true!

ok, so i know of just under a dozen NATIONWIDE...so where is the OTHER 590 at?

Aeroenvironment
Ecotatilty is doing the 50 units for the EV project. Based on their announcement ready they will be charging come spring I am guessing that is when those will come on line

Here is a Japanese perspective ...

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7010-Mitsubishi-i?p=97193&viewfull=1#post97193" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Indeed with all the Chademo charge points all over the place you can pretty much go anywhere in Japan in both the iMiev and Leaf without much problem. The Japanese expressway system has embraced Chademo and is installing charge points at highway service areas which are generally spaced out at about 10 mile intervals on an extensive network of roads which connect all major cities. Tesla has put up close to 30 HPC's around the country as well, but unfortunately to get to them you need to exit the highways and drive a least several miles and sometimes more to get to them.

Pipcecil said:
TX: 10 - I think we are winning! :lol:
10?!? Where? The http://www.plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website shows just 3 ... a couple around Houston, and one around Dallas.

not exactly public but i guess WA is on the QC map now

http://www.government-fleet.com/News/Story/2011/11/Quick-Charger-Opens-Washington-State-DOT-Fleet-to-EVs.aspx?prestitial=1&mid=550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GA can't even find the map. Atlanta has some L2's thanks to
GA Power, and the rest of the state has Nissan dealer L2's. But that
is it.

LEAFfan said:
N952JL said:
I always thought TX had more handgun permits?

It isn't TN or TX. It's NY and IN is next.

I think I was confusing "handgun permits" with our Concealed Carry Warrant. Tennessee does not require firearms to be "registered" as in states where you go to the police station and obtain a permit to actually own a handgun. As of the last count, TN has 346,066 carry permits issued which is what is required to carry a concealed handgun.

Dave

I don't know what the current laws in GA are, but when I was in college, it was not required to have any type of permit to carry a non concealed hand gun. As long as it was openly displayed in a hoster it was legal. Of course that has nothing to do with the number of QC chargers we have, which is none to my knowledge.

A couple points:
Cracker Barrel is a Tennessee company, based in Lebanon, TN. (middle TN.) The plan to install L3s, as I understand it, is to install at locations along I-40 and I-65, two major highways that span many states in the hopes that, like the West Coast Green Highway for I-5(coming to you soon...I know, not soon enough!), there will be enough L3 chargers to make long distance travel available. Since there is a Cracker Barrel every few miles, it makes sense that they committed to this. The fact that TN has these L3 charger reflect the fact that, yes, NissanUSA is now based here (sorry, Orange County) and that we are a Tier 1 state. The entire chicken/egg argument is putting us front and center due to lack of use, California is an example of the opposite. This is the challenge of the early adopters. We may have many L3s but how many are on line? I think we have the highest number of L3s that DON'T work on a consistent basis.
As an aside, from what I heard from someone high up the food chain at Cracker Barrel, someone owns that name in Cali and won't sell to the rights to them so there may never be any of "our" Cracker Barrels in Ca. Whole Foods finally landed here due to the demand of all the ex-Californians that live here!!

Enjoy your Leaf!
Jill
Born and raised in Calabasas, Ca., now living north of Nashville

I believe there are 3 other L3 chargers not yet posted to Plugshare, so the count in Middle Tennessee maybe as high as 14 right now. Can't wait for the spring to come and the opportunity to go for a trip.

JPWhite said:
I believe there are 3 other L3 chargers not yet posted to Plugshare, so the count in Middle Tennessee maybe as high as 14 right now. Can't wait for the spring to come and the opportunity to go for a trip.
OH for cry'n out LOUD! ... whoop! ... I mean congratulations.
:D

Well, I just checked plugshare maps to day and (drum roll) ... can it be true? SHERMAN OAKS!!
Yay! The maps show an active Chademo off the 101 freeway, on Riverside Drive. Has anyone in So Cal been there? Is it a Tesla related facility? It seems to say so on the map data base. Wow! ... If so, this is great for the 100 mile trips I presently have to use the gas burner for. I think I feel my eyes getting misty! :lol:

So Cal is this || close to having 2 - the one at the San Bernadino 7-Eleven is pretty close to being online! And I'm helping (in the background) Cal State Fullerton in their effort to obtain one of the low-cost, Nissan branded units for an install that could happen pretty quickly if it all comes together. So stay tuned for more information on that!

Back