Carwings useless?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemrut

Anyone find Carwings useful or useless? I've used it on 3 occasions and each time the charging location displayed was either inoperable or not even there. Also, there is not addtional information displayed when the charging icon is selected on the map.

Am i missing some hidden value here? so far seems like smoke/mirrors...

Carwings finds working charging locations for me in South Florida, including DelRay Beach, West Palm, Fort Lauderdale, and several in Miami (including the one in my garage). Carwings also reports my energy usage data and does stuff other than find chargers, so I have no beef with it yet. Where are you located?

Mine stopped recording driving data last Oct 21, and I find Plugshare.com much more up to date on charging stations. So put me in the Useless column.

It's not useless, but it's not anything amazing, either. I use it for several purposes. Only once did I use it to find a charging station because I was running low, and it pointed out a nearby Nissan dealer where I charged up. That worked just as it should. What I mostly use it for is trip planning. I often use my Leaf for my geocaching hobby, which involves stops at several unfamiliar locations. My locations are identified by coordinates, not addresses, but this works just the same, in fact better, if you have addresses. I go to GoogleMaps, enter the locations in, and send to car. Then in the car while driving I use Carwings/All Information Feeds/Google Maps to retrieve them and set them as destinations as needed in whatever order I want. That saves me from having to carry a printed list with directions and trying to figure out the nearest address or intersection to program in to the GPS unit. The GPS system can navigate without Carwings, but there is no way to enter coordinates directly into the GPS unit, and even if I was using addresses, it is so handy to just push a couple of buttons while driving and have it read off a list I can choose from. Carwings handles all that. Also, once I needed to get to the local police station in an unfamiliar town, so I looked for that up using the GPS database just by entering government offices/police in the destination field. I'm not sure Carwings was needed for that, but it sure was handy at the time. I also use Carwings for figuring out how much my actual mileage was on a given day or trip, because I always forget to set the trip meter in the car. If you only took one trip on a given day you can look that up on Carwings later to see the distance traveled. If you took several trips, then it will only show you the number of trips and total miles for the day, but not the distance for a specific trip. I don't see the purpose of those stupid ecotrees.

N1ghtrider said:
Carwings finds working charging locations for me in South Florida, including DelRay Beach, West Palm, Fort Lauderdale, and several in Miami (including the one in my garage). Carwings also reports my energy usage data and does stuff other than find chargers, so I have no beef with it yet. Where are you located?

Located in the SF Bay Area where one would think there would be more up to date info on charging stations available.

nemrut said:
Located in the SF Bay Area where one would think there would be more up to date info on charging stations available.
As DesertDenizen says, the answer to that is PlugShare, here in the SF Bay Area just like down in the furnace - er, desert metropolis - where he is. http://www.plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ray

Carwings? Whats Carwings? Never use it, but I did happen to look at it recently and it had a charging station listed nowhere near where it actually was. Like the others said- use Plugshare. I have Plugshare, Recargo, Blink and Chargepoint apps on my Droid home screen.

Strange... I've never actually seen anyone primarily associate CARWINGS with the stale downloadable charging station list. (Data that seems to be mostly sourced from Navteq.)

CARWINGS is more about simple mobile app & web site access to your car (start charge, check charge state, start climate control, etc.)... and web reporting of your driving statistics.

https://www.nissanusa.com/owners/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - launch "CARWINGS" reporting at the bottom once logged in.

grommet said:
Strange... I've never actually seen anyone primarily associate CARWINGS with the stale downloadable charging station list. (Data that seems to be mostly sourced from Navteq.)

CARWINGS is more about simple mobile app & web site access to your car (start charge, check charge state, start climate control, etc.)... and web reporting of your driving statistics.

https://www.nissanusa.com/owners/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - launch "CARWINGS" reporting at the bottom once logged in.
I agree. I forgot to mention that I do use it for that, too, checking state of charge and starting the climate control. By the way, what's a Droid? What's a mobile app?

grommet said:

I find it useful whne running low on charge to press the circular carwings button to see closest charging stations. Where it falls short is detail around status of station and where it's actually located. Right now when you try to press on a charging station icon on the map it simply states 'setting destination' without any confirmation if that's the correct position pressed.

Personally, i find these features less useful as the car will have the state of charge that it has when you get start the car and i never start climate control as it eat's up juice when i can simply roll down the windows on a hot day and wear a jacket on a cold day.

Back