Cannot plug some public Blink EVSEs into my Charge port.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmuzhik

Has anyone else run into this problem? I have what seems to be a defective charge port on my Leaf. When I try to use some public Blink EVSEs in San Diego, my charge port does not allow it to snap into place. The same Blink unit will plug into another Leaf fine but not mine. What is strange is that my home Blink and other Blinks work fine. I have run into this twice. I am guessing that this is a tolerance issue with the physical dimensions on the receptacle or the latch. I have an appointment next week with the Nissan Engineers to review the problem.

I have not seen or heard of this problem... as you say, it sounds like a tolerance issue. If so, they will likely swap it out for you, I HOPE!

Have you been able to see what is causing the obstruction? Can you get the J connector into place, but it just won't latch? Or will the J plug not even fit into the holes in your charge port? Is there some visible shape difference between your charge port and that on other LEAFs, like is is oval, rather than circular, or is there some irregularity to the circle?

Yeah, great questions. I am an electrical engineer and have dealt with connectors for years and have troubleshooting experience. Yes I tried looking at both the plug and the receptacle on my Leaf. The only thing I see is one of the pins on my charge port does not have a black (rubber?) tip like the others. It also looks like it was not finished, i.e. with a rough surface. Eyeballing it, I can't see any differences in length. I am able to get the plug in but it does not snap. It's as if it is too long. It 's weird because it does not happen on all of them. I posted this so that if anyone else runs into it they will know what the resolution is. I meet the Nissan engineer on tuesday next week. I'll post what happens. The Nissan cust rep said they ordered the connector for my car so it looks like they will be replacing it.

I just looked closely at mine. All the pins are all bright, no rough surfaces. Also, I sure don't see any rubber tips. Sounds like there's a flaw in your receptacle. So0, they'll probably replace it under warranty.
Please let us know how this turns out, and good luck. :|

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the black tip on the Leaf charge port, it is hard to see but the tip tapers to a small point. I am referring to the two upper contacts, probably the ones that are handling the 16 Amps charge. It is only approx 1/32nd of an inch long. I thought the same thing that the tip should not be rubber or plastic but when I looked closer, the rest of the contact is approx 1/8th inch in diameter and is metal. It is hard to measure and see though without taking it apart. It will be interesting to see what the Nissan engineers say. I'll post what happens next week.

Hello all. Well, I was supposed to get the new connector Tuesday (Oct 25) but when I called the dealer to reconfirm, he said the part had not come in yet and would call when it does. Well, I followed up today and the dealer said that there are no parts available anywhere, worldwide and that the factory in Japan will have to make me one special! They are supposed to put it on an airplane next week to be at the dealer at week's end. Amazing to me that they have absolutely no spares. The dealer tells me that this is a common problem with new models. I shutter to think what would happen if I or anyone else needs a part to be driveable and no parts are readily available. Having the car inoperable for a minimum of two weeks is totally unacceptable. Fortunately I am not in that situation as my charge port works at home.

gmuzhik said:
... the factory in Japan will have to make me one special! They are supposed to put it on an airplane next week to be at the dealer at week's end. Amazing to me that they have absolutely no spares. ...
Are they replacing just the inlet or the entire cable assembly?

Don't know. The problem seems to be a mechanical fit with the inlet. No Nissan engineer looked at it, just the dealer. They are taking my word for it that it does not mate with a couple of Blinks in town. I would hope that when they remove it from my Leaf that they would do a failure analysis. Being an engineer, I would like to know what the failure mode is also. I'll ask them to let me know and post anything here that I learn.

Got my charge port replaced today. Nov 4. It took about an hour and a half. They let me look at the assembly. Attached to the back of the connector is an orange jacketed harness, about 18" long. At the other end there was a rectangular connector that plugs into something in my Leaf. The Nissan engineer did not show up but wanted the dealer to ship the bad one out of my Leaf to him ASAP, according to the service adviser. He asked me to describe where I was having difficulty connecting to the Blink units. He was going to pass that along to Nissan. When talking to one of the sales guys at the dealer, he said that once there was a leaf that had the same problem as mine where only one of the two charge stations at the dealer would plug into that Leaf. Based on that, I tested my new charge port on both stations at the dealer and they were both OK. It seems that I am not the only one that has seen this problem.

Back