Can you charge while the car is "ON" ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEAFer

I am starting a new thread based on a question in the "RSS Feeds !!!" topic.

LEAFer said:
Can you be charging and remain in the car while listening to radio/stereo/mp3/etc ? Would the car need to be "ON" to do that ? Or are those functions available from the 12V AUX battery. Reason I ask: a Tesla Roadster can't be charged with the key in the ignition ( I think ).
So ... if you arrive at your charging spot ... do you need to turn your LEAF "OFF" before you plug in ? If you do, can you still get back in the car and enjoy music, RSS, etc ? Or do you have to turn it back "ON" (accessory position) to do so, and will the car let you while charging ?

If you are using the AUX battery ... and charging for a long time on L2 ... how long will it last, and/or is it being "fed" simultaneously from the car's charger ?

Also: Is there a difference between L1/L2 and L3 in this case.

Unlikely L1, L2, or L3 will make a difference.

PROBABLY Aux Mode will be allowed, possibly even "automatic", at least to communicate, run BMS, Charger (L1 or L2) or Charge Control (L3), use the A/C, or use the heating (presumably requires more than the 12v system), etc,

So, likely the LEAF will be "mostly" ON when charging, but just not allowed to "drive".

At least "Park" and perhaps "Parking Brake" will be required to charge.

At the test drive event in Seattle, the stationary car I looked at was plugged into the L1 EVSE and you could turn the car on but could not shift in to Drive or Reverse. Music, NAV, and Carwings all worked while plugged in. We asked about the backup camera, so the Nissan rep unplugged the EVSE and let us put it into reverse to see how the camera worked. He did ask us to keep our foot on the brake, though :p

At least with the pre-production cars at the test drive event, everything works when plugged in except driving :)

The power switch can be set to ON position and the climate control and navigation system can be used while the Li-ion battery is charging. However, because these operations consume Li-ion battery power, it will take longer for the Li-ion battery to become fully charged. Place the power switch in the OFF position to help reduce Li-ion
battery charge time.

Back