Bosch Power Max™ 30A - Seeking Reviews

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered a MAX 30A with the 25' cord on Wednesday from EVWest. They, like almost everyone else, are out of the 18' units. Should be here Tuesday and will update.

Hey everyone just wanted to chime in on my experience. I placed an order with EV West 8/12/13 and finally received the unit on 9/11/13. The folks at EV West were really good at returning my emails for status on my order. They receive their units directly from Bosch, while Bosch gets the shipments from overseas - which explains the delay, besides the under production of these newer units.

I ordered the 1 x Bosch Power Max Charging Station 30 Amp EVSE (EL-51253) = $593.00. I ordered directly from their site over EBay, as the price came out even cheaper to just over $670.

One thing i was worried about was it did not include a caddy for the cable like other EVSE's. The illustration from the site had the cable just wrapping around the unit, which still maintains a really nice and clean appearance to the unit. I had my electrician come in and install the unit and run a conduit from the other end of my circuit breaker box in the garage. Installation costs came out to $750 and I still will be able to file for the tax credit below.

For consumers, EVSE home charging units installed before December 31, 2013 will be eligible for a tax credit of 30% of the cost, not to exceed $1,000.
So total out the door not including my credit, comes out to $1420.00. I'll try to upload some pics of my setup. Hope this review helps.

This charger works great and looks even better in person.

Greetings everyone, I had ordered my Bosch Portable charge at least 2 weeks before Bosch finally release them, at first they only had the option to purchase the unit up-front but weren't taking any orders yet, luckily for me; 2 weeks before the product was released they introduced and option for financing the entire unit including installation.

I had to go thru the process of applying, being approved and then the order was placed. I financed the entire project including them recommending their electrician because it is warrantied for the 3 years; if I had my electrician install it they will not warranty the unit if they believe the problem could be due to improper installation (we all know they will blame it on that). The entire cost with an 18' cord was under $1600. Everything was shipped to the electrician.

On the day of installation July 18th 2013, the electrician showed up with the wrong wall plug (he was going to make it a permanent unit) I had to tell him that this was a portable unit, he had to go back to his office and get the right outlet and case). I asked the electrician if he had installed this unit before and this model was his first one. (Make sure that the installer knows the type of unit you are purchasing).

Installation was smooth and everything worked well......Until about 2 weeks ago.......all of a sudden the charger plug in nozzle will not release from the Leaf. (And I was running late for work that day) I tried all tricks I could think of, even turning the brakers on the electrical panel off. At first I pressed and hold the "Charge off Button" (see picture), that didn't worked, and then I started the vehicle and deleted the timer settings to charge vehicle at certain hours, that didn't helped.

then I pressed the charge off button again for at least 1 minute until I heard a faint sound of something releasing, then I tried removing the charger from the vehicle and finally it released, ever since that day I’ve been having the same issue, sometimes it releases after pressing the charge off button a couple of tries and combination of turning off the brakers. That weekend (Saturday) I was not able to release at all, I read the manual and followed their instructions for releasing etc.. and also changed the charging timers (I had my timers set to (1) to start charging after 9:00pm until 11:50pm ( I have a special meter that charges me .06 cents between 9:00pm and 7:00am) and (2) from 12:00 am to 6:50am), I removed setting # 1 and was only charging between 12:00am to 6:50am (plenty of time). It took me about 2 hours before I was able to remove the plug.

For the past 3 days I was (from my phone) enabling the car to start charging after 9:30pm) the next morning the vehicle only charged up to 65% (I usually end up with about 30% charge by the end of the day). During this week (mon-fri) the charge plug released within 5 minutes of playing with the button and turning vehicle on/off. Friday night I started charging again from my phone after 10:00pm. On Saturday morning around 8:00am I checked the phone to see how much it had charged it was up to 65%.

I (thru the phone) started charging the vehicle, around 1:00pm I checked the phone and it showed fully charged (whatever fully means) 96%. When I went outside to remove the charger plug, it would not come out no matter what I pressed or turned off. This time I disabled all timers, read the instructions on the manual (again) and the car still won’t release the plug. Again it took about 1+ to finally remove the plug.

Today September (Sunday) 22nd 2013 I had a time to Google this issue and found a post in this forum of another driver having the exact issue but from the charger that comes with the vehicle (trickle charger) and for him it turned out that the problem was the charging plug from the unit http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13229&start=20

So I tested my charger, since I had disabled all timers and the car had 75% charge I plugged the charger and charged the vehicle until full. (Note: that if you connect the charger and remove it a few minutes later it comes right out with no problems) when I went to remove the plug …AGAIN same issue, I went straight to the panel and pressed the Charge Off Button, this time it made a louder noise , flashed the lights (blue lights) and I was able to remove the plug a little pressure but it came out.

Not sure if the issue is the charger’s plug or the car just locks it and won’t release automatically once it finished charging, I’m calling Bosch and Nissan tomorrow and I will update this forum with whatever I find.

An update on my Power Max 30A with the 18' cord.....

After 3 months of use it's dead. When I plug in my LEAF, I can hear the relays in the unit click like normal, it flashes green for a sec, then I get red flashing. I called Bosch's tech support line and before they would send a technician out to fix / replace the unit I HAD to have Nissan check the LEAF out first. Apparently Bosch is claiming there is some type of issue on LEAF's with "older" software. So I went to the dealer. There was some type of update to my LEAF but it had nothing to do with the charging system. After I returned home I plugged in and still no-go on the Bosch Power Max. It's dead. Called Bosch and got a scheduled date for replacement. On a brighter note, they were very quick to respond on the phone. Told me the 18' unit was back ordered and were going to up grade me to a 25' unit. I was also notified that regardless of the user manual's stated 1yr warranty, since I had Bosch install my Power Max 30A unit they warranty it for a full 3yrs from the original date of install. Cool! I thought I only had the 1yr warranty.

I am still very happy with the unit. It worked fine and had no issues. Then one day.... it just stopped working. I was assured by the Bosch rep that this is a uncommon failure and I should be back up and running soon.

I'll keep you posted.......

mrench01 said:
Nissan check the LEAF out first. Apparently Bosch is claiming there is some type of issue on LEAF's with "older" software. So I went to the dealer. There was some type of update to my LEAF but it had nothing to do with the charging system. After I returned home I plugged in and still no-go.

There were 2 software updates and one of the two had to do with the On board Charger OBC system or control module. Also I would check your area to find another Leaf owner and have them see if it works with theirs. I had one glitch like that once and when I turned off the Charge Timer from with the Nav settings the problem went away.

Still have my Bosch Power Max connected to the 240 volt Dryer outlet with no issues since around August 15th. Got mine from EV West and picked it up directly from their shop in San Marcos.

Do you recall what Amp power breaker they install? 30 or 40 Amps?

Fred

Bosch did the install on my unit. It's on 40A breakers. I don't know of anyone else local to the Detroit Metro Area where I can try another Bosch unit. My 2013 LEAF charges fine on any other Level 2 in the area. Also, now the Power Max unit blinks red even if the car isn't plugged in. Before it would be solid green after it passed it's power-on diagnostic test. Now it won't. So I am willing to bet my Power Max has issues.

Bosch has dispatched their repair technicians for my issue. I should get a new unit within the week. Depends on how fast they can get me a new Power Max 30A with a 25' cord. The Bosch rep said that for whatever reason the 18' corded units are on back order, but they can get the 25' unit's fairly easily. We shall see.

Bosch has been very helpful and responsive so far. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly.

Mike R

For an update:

Bosch replaced my Power Max 30a 18' cord model with a 25' model last week. It was a very fast service call and I was back up and charging in no time. I did notice that the cord and the J1772 plug end are different. The cable is thicker and the plug end is more rugged and weather proofed. The 18' cord and plug just weren't as robust.

Having had both models now, I would probably order the 25' model. Bosch seems to have them in stock and the cable isn't just longer, but it's better insulated with a more durable plug. So the up charge is for the better quality cable not just the length IMHO.

Mike R

Long time Lurker here.

I ordered and just installed a Bosch PowerMax 30amp 18ft cord so figured I would share my experience.

First ordering:
I looked around for quite a long time trying to find options in stock and at a reasonable price (direct from Bosch you pay shipping and tax, EVwest is just shipping). I did end up finding it on Amazon, and for a cheaper price to boot ($570). They were "Temporarily out of stock" so I was nervous about ordering as I need it in before 12/31 for the tax credit. Anyway Bosch's site was giving a date for when they expected more in stock so I took the chance they would re-supply Amazon around the same time. They did and my unit shipped out within a day of Bosch getting stock back on their direct site. Price dropped after I ordered ($560) and Amazon refunded the difference.

Installation:
I was very cost concisious about the whole process so I debated a long time doing the full install myself. I had about a 50ft run from my main breaker through an unfinished basement and up into the garage. After getting quotes ($450-$650, St. Louis MO) I decided to split the work, I would do all the grunt work and have an electrician do the breaker hook-up and the EVSE hook up. A 30amp charger requires a 40amp breaker and 8-2 wire. As I only wanted to do this once I ran 6-2 wire on the off chance a higher amperage charger is in my future, figured it was worth an extra $15 in wire.

So all told I spent half a Saturday drilling and running wire, $120ish in supplies and $125 for the final hook up by a pro.

So far it is working great, has only been a week but I'm quite happy with it.

I'll update with my impressions if I notice anything specific, right now it is one of the best prices for a 30amp EVSE around.

CoffeeAddict said:
As I only wanted to do this once I ran 6-2 wire on the off chance a higher amperage charger is in my future, figured it was worth an extra $15 in wire.

And it might eventually pay for itself anyway. You'll be dissipating less energy in the wires while charging. If my math is right, maybe about 20 watts. :)

Nubo said:
CoffeeAddict said:
As I only wanted to do this once I ran 6-2 wire on the off chance a higher amperage charger is in my future, figured it was worth an extra $15 in wire.

And it might eventually pay for itself anyway. You'll be dissipating less energy in the wires while charging. If my math is right, maybe about 20 watts. :)

That is true, while I do like that it is more efficient I'm thinking at around an average of $.10kwh throughout the year I'm not making back that $15 on the 20w savings from the thicker gauge before my lease is up (though as of now I plan on not backsliding to an ICE so I'll hit that payback eventually). A bit over 5 years assuming I charge 4hrs a day every day, so not a terrible payback period all things considered.

Not sure if the issue is the charger’s plug or the car just locks it and won’t release automatically once it finished charging, I’m calling Bosch and Nissan tomorrow and I will update this forum with whatever I find.

Greetings, its being a while since my issue. Bosch ended up replacing the unit within a week and a half, lucky for me, before the new unit came, the car decided to release the locking device allowing me to safely remove the charging nozzle, however I kept having issues with removing the nozzle from the vehicle. After the replacement unit I have had no issues until about 2 month ago when I noticed that the car will charge for a few hours and about 5 hours later it will finish charging completely. since it was not affecting me (I leave the house by 7:00am) I waited for some solution from Nissan, about 2 weeks ago I received a recall notice about this issue, had my car serviceda week later and now it fully charges within 4 hours (I really push the miles to almost 10 miles left.

All working well.

So far

I think I might be having trouble with moisture. When we have cold (<40F) rainy weather, the car will not charge on it. This has happened twice so far.

Other than that I'm lovin' it!

Nothing would bug me more than thinking my ride was able to charge ... only to find out that I couldn't charge. It's good to have alternaves (adapters, dual j1772 plugs, etc) available ... just in case.

Back