BMS and bad cell

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leaf201424kwhJapan

Hi everyone. Just bought a 2014 Leaf with 10 bars, 55k kms, G , 24kw.

I can get about 129kms with 100% charged and on average 94kms with 80%, more than enough for 2 days work trips.

I most leave it at 80% max charge set-up, and 80% of the time slow charge overnight.

So far loving it.

I have used the leafspy to translate the dash, and got some battery information out if it, looking at 75% soh.

2 points, is there a reason for me to update the BMS? And, is there a point in identifying a bad cell, if there is any, and replacing it early on?

Thank you
N

I can get about 129kms with 100% charged and on average 94kms with 80%, more than enough for 2 days work trips.

I most leave it at 80% max charge set-up, and 80% of the time slow charge overnight.

So far loving it.

I have used the leafspy to translate the dash, and got some battery information out if it, looking at 75% soh.

2 points, is there a reason for me to update the BMS? And, is there a point in identifying a bad cell, if there is any, and replacing it early on?

Thank you
N
Ps:
Finally, a soccer game where skill meets pure luck! A Small World Cup is the perfect blend of casual fun and competitive gameplay. Whether you're a soccer pro or a clumsy noob, everyone can have a blast in this wacky world.
75% SoH is pretty good for a 2014 Leaf, that's actually a decent SoH. Your range seems good too, so unless you're experiencing significant range loss or other battery issues, replacing cells might not be necessary yet.

So far loving it.

Thank you
N
If you have a bad cell (really bad as in - dead), then you may not have much choice as you may get forced into the dreaded "turtle" mode or worse, BRICKED. My Leaf had a very weak cell and the BMS couldn't balance the pack properly. It would run fine and all dash indicators were normal but when going below 45% SOC my dash % gage would become very erratic and within a minute would settle down but indicate a loss of about 20%. It did this until the cell (module #40) completely died at which point my Leaf went into turtle mode.

Back