Blink replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekern

After continually crashing and have tech after tech come out, I am looking for a charger that I can buy to replace the "free" blink unit I have. The last straw was the the three service calls since the last "update". I want a basic charger. The car has a timer in it so all I want it to do is charge when the car says go. Any recommendations? If I can get one for under $1k I am ready to buy. Hopefully people have had good luck with a brand.
Thanks,
Dave

We were given a Clipper Creek for a few months before the Blink was installed. Loved the Clipper Creek, super rugged and dependable and I'd buy one if I needed to replace the Blink or if the Blink wasn't free. We've got the Blink hardwired with CAT5 and it has always worked for us.

-u

Some good ideas, thanks. I have only heard good things about clipper creek. A friend got one early like you and said it was great. Mine is Cat5 hard wired also. Communication is not e problem. The system continually crashes and I wake to an uncharged Leaf. They are getting ready to install a third Blink system to try and resolve the problems. Too many house calls.

I have had no problems with the AV EVSE basic unit which was installed in Nov 2010. If I was starting over, I would probably go with the openEVSE project. If you need data logging to monitor the power levels, a TED (powerline signal) or CurrentCost (RF 433MHz) can provide data logging regardless of the EVSE used.

davekern said:
Some good ideas, thanks. I have only heard good things about clipper creek. A friend got one early like you and said it was great. Mine is Cat5 hard wired also. Communication is not e problem. The system continually crashes and I wake to an uncharged Leaf. They are getting ready to install a third Blink system to try and resolve the problems. Too many house calls.

You already have an EVSE in your car. If you convert the Nissan unit not only will it work every time it will also be a portable 120/240v unit and charge you car at the same rate as the Blink. In the future you can buy a wall unit to meet your needs at a lower cost and in the meantime have a unit you can use at home and away.

Dave, I see that you've had your car for awhile...

Have you had a Blink that long as well? Are you on one of SDG&E's experimental rates? How about a second meter, was that installed?

You have to be in the EV Project (with a Blink) to be on those experimental rates. If you give up the Blink, then you can still get on the whole-house EV-TOU2 rate, but you wouldn't be in the EV project any longer and the second meter would be removed (which would probably kill your electrical connection where the Blink is now)...You might have to re-do that to install something else...

That may be a good reason to try and make it work with a new Blink unit. But if you're determined to give up the Blink, there are a lot of different options out there (modified cordset, Clipper Creek CS-40, Schneider, LeGrand, GE Wattstation, Leviton, etc.) The Plug-in America site has a list of available EVSEs that you could use...

Randy

Randy said:
... the second meter would be removed (which would probably kill your electrical connection where the Blink is now)...You might have to re-do that to install something else...
I plan to purchase and install one of these...
yhst-97927213475128_2193_4350221

EZ Read meter
...when my PV install happens and I choose to go off the experimental rate. It will bridge the meter socket, keeping the circuit powered and give me a way to monitor usage.

Back