Best Talking Points (for Plug-In Day)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ObiQuiet

Inspired by Reddy's post, http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14459#p328072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I thought it would be good to make a list of short phrases that make our points to the curious. Clever or pithy is good, but clear and to the point can be better.

Here are some of mine:
Q: How do you like it? A: "It's the perfect commuter car"

Q: What does it cost to run? A: "I get about 40 miles per dollar" A: "It costs me 22 cents per mile, including the whole car"

Q: Can you drive it to [far away city]? A: "The few times we need to go far, we either use our other car, or rent one, and still come out ahead"

etc...

If you've come up with a catchy phrase, please add it.

I usually tell this story: I know someone whose deal-breaker purchasing decision for his new car is always whether it can tow his boat.... The boat he has to tow... *maybe* once a year when he pulls it out of the water [sometimes he has someone else do it]. So, he buys a big SUV and commutes to work in it by himself nearly 260 days a year getting terrible gas mileage - because of something he typically needs to do on *one* day.
Why couldn't he just rent a truck that day? Perhaps pay the marina to do it?

So, I make the same argument for EVs (I've barely owned my Leaf for a week but it's partly how I justified it to myself). For 95% of the driving I do, the Leaf will fit me perfectly and I like to encourage trends I believe in - even paying 'extra' for that. The times that it won't work for me? My wife and I can drive her ICE car, or if we want to take a long road trip in a really comfortable car? We can just rent one.

I'm not sure it'll work for everyone - but for me, it was a helpful justification. Right before I bought the Leaf I kept finding myself thinking 'what if this, or what if that...' and in each case the answer was to either drive the other car, or rent one.

I'm not sure arguing cost of electricity vs gas is ever a good one - an EV is easily $10k more than a comparable ICE - even with free charging stations - it'll be tough to ever make that money back.

Of course, many people assume that's the only reason anyone would ever own a vehicle like this (people liked to tell me how 'expensive' my Prius was when I bought my first one in '02 - but fuel cost wasn't reason I bought it, or the Leaf). So like other threads about this topic - if people fixate on never making back that money - just ask them if they did the equivalent costing for the car they drive.... So, why aren't you driving a cheap used car? Why not a cheap Scion? You'll never make back the $30k extra you paid over a cheap, reliable, fuel-efficient car that gets you from point A to point B. I guess if you want to hard sell people you might be able to convince them how much cheaper the vehicle is over an ICE because the MPGe is so much better but if cost is really a factor - it won't take them long to figure out it's not a winning proposition.

I just think it's a great thing to throw out as a way of saying, yes, it's more expensive and you're paying a bit more for that because it's so new, you're an early adopter, but even with that, because your 'gas' is either free (because of subsidies or early adopter encouragement) or very cheap, the extra cost really isn't as high as it may seem.

Beyond that, I might also try to describe the 'driving zen' you experience in eco mode in a super quiet EV. It's interesting how I'll actually start to feel slightly agitated when I turn off ECO - how it makes me want to go go go - I can feel my agitation rise. Turn on eco - and it's just soooo relaxing to drive. My wife drove it for the first time the other day and pointed it out on her own - pointing out how incredibly calming it was to drive the car. When I want to zoom around like a madman I can ride my motorcycle but this is the first car I've commuted in that I actually LIKED commuting in.

Oh, and the around view monitor is AWESOME. Major geek points for that one. :)

Q: seriously, an electric car? What are you some kind of granola crunching hippie?

A: just drive it and you'll understand. And I hate granola.

pbennett said:
I usually tell this story: I know someone whose deal-breaker purchasing decision for his new car is always whether it can tow his boat.... The boat he has to tow... *maybe* once a year when he pulls it out of the water [sometimes he has someone else do it]. So, he buys a big SUV and commutes to work in it by himself nearly 260 days a year getting terrible gas mileage - because of something he typically needs to do on *one* day.
Why couldn't he just rent a truck that day? Perhaps pay the marina to do it?

C'mon, you know that is an excuse. I know a family who bought a boat that they used 5 times in 10 years and I swear it was so the parents could justify in their minds a Yukon XL instead of a more efficient (but apparently less prestigious) minivan that actually had more interior room for their family. I know another family who bought a Suburban because they "needed All Wheel Drive" - they live in a part of California that never gets snow but they go on a ski trip once per year.

Most people are going to drive what they want to drive and figure out rationalizations later. For EV advocates this means we should focus on people who are pre-disposed to like EVs and give them the honest information necessary to figure out if it makes sense for them. Yes, if you are careful with the purchase decision your total cost of ownership can be a lot lower with the LEAF. Yes, range is a factor, so count on 50 miles round trip and after you get comfortable with the car you'll find that in most situations it can do a lot more. No, you don't need to get a home EVSE but you'll be able to use the car a lot more if you do - mention EVSEupgrade.com. Yes, heat-related battery degradation has been a problem for the LEAF - not for competitors like the Tesla, Focus Electric, and Volt - if you live in a very hot area choose a competitor or a two-year LEAF lease - if not this isn't a factor.

When people ask me about the LEAF I start by just saying "I'm saving a ton of money". Sometimes they don't ask follow-up questions. Usually they do. Sometimes their follow-up questions indicate they've been getting info from an anti-EV news source ... in that case I figure this person isn't going to be convinced of anything so I just stick to the point about saving money and note (if they ask) that in our location range degradation isn't a big deal. Sometimes I can tell they are genuinely interested in concept but aren't ready to deal with current range limitations ... then I'll answer their questions so that they know enough for future reference. On a very few occasions I've talked to someone who is thinking of buying now ... in that case too much information can actually create doubt, so I focus on just making sure their driving fits the range limitations.

pbennett said:
So, why aren't you driving a cheap used car? Why not a cheap Scion? You'll never make back the $30k extra you paid over a cheap, reliable, fuel-efficient car that gets you from point A to point B.

That was the analysis I did, so my talking point / elevator pitch is:
"The 220,000mi Outback I traded in cost me 25 cents per mile just for the fuel. The Leaf costs me 22 cents per mile, including the entire car. 2 year lease."

Granted, the AWD Outback isn't fuel-efficient!

-ObiQuiet

pbennett said:
I usually tell this story: I know someone whose deal-breaker purchasing decision for his new car is always whether it can tow his boat....
I'm thinking about expanding my back patio, so this will be my vehicle of choice when my lease is up:
5577445259_bf342e8df6_z.jpg

Keeping it simple, my top reasons for loving the BEV are:

1 it's hard to overestimate the convenience factor of never having to stop for gas, and starting each day with a charged car that's ready to go.

2 a throttle that does exactly what I tell it to do, the instant I tell it to. No dead spots, no stumbles, no lag no warmup.

Everything else is gravy. And there is plenty of gravy.

Nubo said:
And there is plenty of gravy.

Here's one based on a conversation I had earlier in the week:

Q: "So how do you like it?"
A: "It's a very civilized way to travel."

Q: (quizzical look)
A: "It's clean, quiet, powerful and cheap."

Back