Best insurance companies for Leaf owners (GEICO a RIPOFF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sittingbythedock said:
I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions of the best affordable insurance company for a Leaf. I dumped my Benz cause I was spending a ton of money on gas, and saw it as a way to save money and do the right thing for the environment.

My wife recently purchased a 2011 Honda CRV (used with 25 miles) for $21k. I was driving a late model Mercedes E430 (8 cyl). I still have the Mercedes (until I sell it on Craiglist) and we called Geico to add the Leaf (1 week old) and transition the Mercedes from a commuter car to a recreation (less use = less cost).

We were SHOCKED :!: that adding the Leaf DOUBLED the monthly insurance premium we were spending on the Benz and the 2011 Honda CRV.

This is AFTER a 10% discount Geico gave because it was an EV. My wife was surprised and asked why this was the case. The Geico person said it was partially because the car was new but also because the car used "advanced technology" and therefore Geico had to charge more for insuring it.

I think this is bogus and I'm wondering if GEICO is sticking it to EV owners. :twisted: Does anyone have recommendations? I'm saving money on gas but now I'm spending the money I saved on insurance!!! :x
100% Bogus. Insurance Companies are NOT allowed to charge more for EV's.

sitech said:
It's not just Geico that's expensive. It seems that it's just expensive to insure the Leaf here in California.

Grrrr

Nope, Geico is really expensive in Cali. I've been with Wawanesa for many years now, just switched over the 2006 Tundra for the Leaf at no increase. 2001 Honda Civic and the 2011 Leaf SL, $900.00 annually.

The only thing with Wawanesa is that you can not have any infractions. Give them a call, you should see a 300.00 reduction in what you are paying now with your provider.

Fred

Wow. We traded in our Pius for a Leaf and Allstate wanted to bump us up by $20/month because of it. Would have been $140/month for two married people with no tickets. I don't even remember paying that when I was 16. I told them to take a hike and got a quote from Geico for $66/month with lower deductibles. Saving a tonne on gas and insurance now!

We are paying $70/month with multi coverage to State Farm. Our agent Larry Levine and his staff were great to us when our new Leaf was damaged by the tow truck driver who wouldn't use the tow pin. We were given the familiar talk about new technology and a lack of claim experience. Still, the Leaf is sort of low tech when it comes to lack of oxygen sensors, fuel injector electronics, and variable valves. Other than the dash (iPhone :lol: knock off) its basically battery, a rheostat, a dc motor, and four wheels ...

Wennfred said:
sitech said:
It's not just Geico that's expensive. It seems that it's just expensive to insure the Leaf here in California.

Grrrr

Nope, Geico is really expensive in Cali. I've been with Wawanesa for many years now, just switched over the 2006 Tundra for the Leaf at no increase. 2001 Honda Civic and the 2011 Leaf SL, $900.00 annually.

The only thing with Wawanesa is that you can not have any infractions. Give them a call, you should see a 300.00 reduction in what you are paying now with your provider.

Fred
+1 I've also been with Wawanesa for over 23yrs. I've had one claim in that time (shattered rear window by a jerk with a leaf blower, who had no insurance). I'm not sure, but I believe that Wawanesa insures in California only.

21st Century has charged me reasonable premiums here in Martin County, Fl. Leaf is my 2nd car, and I have been unable to get a much lower rate, Checked USAA and they are more. BTW , their ads imply that they insured military and their families. USAA is publicly owned & will insure anyone who even has or had a distant relative in the military at any time & they do not verify. So, basically, nearly everyone is eligible.

I got a quote from mercury and wawanesa but Geico won. Also people really ought to post their insurance options and cost when posting. Cost can seem high or low but without coverage details how can anyone compare anything?

goaliepride said:
Also people really ought to post their insurance options and cost when posting. Cost can seem high or low but without coverage details how can anyone compare anything?

As mentioned earlier, it is impossible to truly compare policies, because each insurer has its own risk profiles. Apparently GEICO and Progressive don't want to insure single males who live in a certain part of Southern California, because their quotes are consistently very high for me, no matter what car. AAA apparently does not like the fact that I got a Leaf, because their quote was so outrageously high it blew everybody else's out of the water, but in years past they were close to what I was paying Allstate.

The only thing you can do is shop, shop, shop. Even comparing yourself with your next door neighbor with an identical car is not going to yield identical premiums.

Geico declined to insure my truck because I put a flat bed on it... even though I don't use it commercially. I thought that kind of sucked. Commercial insurance costs way more.

I've also been searching high and low for Leaf insurance. I was going to go with GEICO, but started getting second thoughts when I read this thread. I recently got some quotes for my 2013 leaf, and here's the rates I got. (I'm a single male in NYC, if that gives you a better idea).

I saw that http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2013/nissan/leaf/cost_of_ownership/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was estimating around $1600/year for Leaf insurance in the states. I assumed mine would be up near $2000 since I'm in NYC. Here's what I found:

Allstate - $125/month
GEICO - $127/month
Liberty Mutual - $163/month
State Farm - $122/month
eSurance - $159/month

I really wish I could go with USAA because they seem to be the cheapest. Unfortunately, I'm not a former military member.

Some smaller, shadier sites also quoted me at low prices. For example, http://www.4autoinsurancequote.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; quoted me at under $100/month average rate. I'm debating going with them to be honest, but something just doesn't sit right. I mean, it seems too good to be true.

That being said, I think that my best choice is going to be State Farm. The reviews + price just stands out above the rest.

I don't mean to bump this old thread, but I have had Amica for a long time for everything as they are very good and they pay without nickel and diming you like Geico and others. Yet I am seriously thinking about switching because my insurance rate almost doubled when we acquired a RAV4 EV and Leaf. It's gotten to a point where I don't think it is worth it. The problem is that most insurance companies are so $hitty that I don't want to deal with them. Amica used to carry a 5-10% premium, but the 30-40% premium I am paying is just too much and I am seriously consider changing

I have state farm for mine, pay about $85ish a month, but I live in a low crash area in Texas plus its coupled with my home owners insurance (probably why its a bit lower). As for the service - state farm has always done very well for me and I would even pay more for their insurance just because of that. That said, the agent makes ALL the difference. I have a wonderful agent and when state farm (company) tries something not in my best interest, they are the ones fighting for me. I have had an agent before (luckly no claims through him) who was bad and was glad I switched after I moved.

Overall though, insurance companies are out to make money and if they can do some slightly shady stuff, it doesn't stop them. Its really looking for ones that are less shady and might even come with ways to fight the big system (i.e. a good agent) and offer good coverage. Not all coverage is the same, even beyond the deductable. Like with state farm, the price comes with full rental insurance, car rental cost (for when your car is being repaired), etc. Sometimes those small things help a bunch.

I replaced a 1999 Honda CRV with a 2013 Leaf SL on my USAA policy, and my rates went up by about $5 per year.

G.D.

SafeCo. Previously had Hartford. Neither were particularly bad for my Leaf (I have multiple cars and multiple kids).

Unless you live in the same zip code, have the same age, same credit score, same previous claims, and same driving record- you really can't make any relevant comparisons. Shopping for insurance is an individual thing you have to do. And for the record, I shopped around thoroughly and GEICO was the cheapest option when not combining auto and home. I'm currently paying $1081.20 per year.

I'll be switching to Encompass (subsidiary of Allstate) later this month. Annual premium is $1205, but when combined with home insurance, it was the best deal. The next best deal was through Farm Bureau.

You really need to shop around *every year*. Think about bundling your auto and home.

And also remember that one should NOT shop by price alone. There are many considerations that can make a slightly more expensive policy a much better deal!

kubel said:
Unless you live in the same zip code, have the same age, same credit score, same previous claims, and same driving record- you really can't make any relevant comparisons. Shopping for insurance is an individual thing you have to do. And for the record, I shopped around thoroughly and GEICO was the cheapest option when not combining auto and home. I'm currently paying $1081.20 per year.

I'll be switching to Encompass (subsidiary of Allstate) later this month. Annual premium is $1205, but when combined with home insurance, it was the best deal. The next best deal was through Farm Bureau.

You really need to shop around *every year*. Think about bundling your auto and home.

Back