Best insurance companies for Leaf owners (GEICO a RIPOFF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last month I got quotes from a lot of different companies.
These are all for 100/300/100 liability with $500 deductible on TWO LEAFs (one SV and one SL), no PIP, and 100/300/100 uninsured motorists coverage, no rental coverage, etc. This also includes liability coverage for a low-mileage (500mi/yr) 2003 Chevy S10.

These are all 6-month quotes at my location (Bellingham, WA). We have excellent credit and no at-fault accidents.

Code:
Liberty Mutual  $2,054.00
Amica           $1,623.00
Progressive     $1,299.00
GEICO           $1,132.10
State Farm      $1,048.76
Farmers         $1,024.98
Allstate        $1,060.00
Nationwide      $1,001.39
Safeco          $  578.80

I also tried to get quotes from e-surance and PEMCO, but neither of their websites supported 2013 LEAFs.

Computerizer said:
These are all for 100/300/100 liability with $500 deductible on TWO LEAFs (one SV and one SL), no PIP, and 100/300/100 uninsured motorists coverage, no rental coverage, etc. This also includes liability coverage for a low-mileage (500mi/yr) 2003 Chevy S10.

These are all 6-month quotes at my location (Bellingham, WA). We have excellent credit and no at-fault accidents.

Code:

I also tried to get quotes from e-surance and PEMCO, but neither of their websites supported 2013 LEAFs.

My USAA 6-mo. 100/300/50 with Collision ($250 deductible) + Comprehensive and towing/labor for just the Leaf is $368.89 (6000 mi/yr.) The biggest piece of that is the collision at $189. With our Acura TSX (3000 mi/yr) the total is $628.62.

Yeah, that's the old song- Too many variables to compare, so don't divulge or discuss prices. Which means "I work for an insurance company."

Computerizer said:

Code:

First can we get a mod to remove the ripoff in the title of this thread? Mabye just shorten to "Best insurance companies for Leaf owners"

different car in my case (2005 Prius) but I thought I'd add some experiences here since I just went through this

prices for 6 months (not necessarily apples to apples as I was asked different questions and given different options on each site)
~$480 Liberty Mutual
~$338 USAA
~$3xx Allstate (didn't write it down and it didn't save the quote online so I didn't get an email with a proper quote)
~$3xx State Farm (didn't write it down and the email quote didn't match what I configured)
~$2xx Nationwide (didn't take the time to finish the quote properly, if the website didn't suck I'd have considered this one)
~$226 esurance
~$207 progressive
~$195 geico

first off shopping around for car insurance is hundreds of times easier now than it was 5 years ago. The online databases know most of the things about you or your car speeding up the data entry process. Web sites are more sophisticated. You can put in a credit card and buy insurance on the spot. Sure some companies did that sooner than others but for my experience it's night and day better than it was the last time I went through this.

Liberty Mutual (have insurance with them, called and they didn't offer to reduce my rate, go to the website and it won't even let me get an online quote, tells me to call). Auto rate was about twice as expensive as the two lowest offers. I can't understand why they didn't offer to lower my rate before I went to their competition.

OK on to the cheaper ones:

Geico one of the three cheapest, website lets me configure the insurance heavily more so than any other. Not perfect but definitely good for the detail oriented / geek buyer. Something like half the cost vs Liberty Mutual.

Progressive one of the three cheapest, website lets me configure heavily but not quite as much as Geico. Friendlier in some ways than Geico's online quote process.

E-surance Good website, lets me configure similar to Geico/Progressive, slightly higher rates than both. Apparently a subsidiary of Allstate (not sure if that is a plus or minus).

I'll tell you right now if I had a preference between Geico, Progressive, and E-surance I'd just quote the three of these and let your preference decide if you want to go for the cheapest or not. Anything outside of those three and I've had a negative experience one way or another during this process.

Nationwide Auto possibly cheaper than the three above but website redraws entire page and recalculates entire quote every time you change one drop down menu item. Way too slow and frustrating a process to deal with if you want to customize your car insurance heavily. Most items don't show the price per choice so you have to play with the drop downs over and over to figure out how much extra you are paying for each customization. Once selected and added to the quote most line items will show a price in the right hand column. Items like "Accident Forgiveness", "Minor Violation Forgiveness", "Vanishing Deductible", and "Total Loss Deductible" have no price beside them if selected but can heavily affect the cost of the insurance just as other items in the list that do show prices.

State Farm, just middle of the pack. Web site was OK, price was OK, nothing stands out about it. The only negative in my case was they were more expensive for me. If you like State Farm I'm not suggesting you avoid them for any reason. Hit them up for a quick online quote if you want to be thorough.

USAA Auto considerably cheaper than what Liberty Mutual offered, similar to State Farm Auto but not as cheap as the three above. I've checked with USA twice in the last couple of years and they always offer me cheaper auto insurance and more expensive home insurance than Liberty Mutual. If I get both it is close to a wash, if I split it up the loss of the multi-policy discount from Liberty Mutual eats most of the savings of going to USAA for auto.

unrelated USAA the online quote for home insurance on USAA was hard coded with information not exactly accurate about my house and licensed insurance rep either believes the computer over me or just can't override what it thinks about my house or maybe they just have a very poorly designed home insurance quote system. Anyway I look at it their system is odd when I try to get a home quote online or over the phone.

Allstate Auto no where near as configurable as Geico or Progressive, and the stupid configuration window wants to auto play a flash video every time I switch lines to configure. Stupid videos auto start, loud and with distracting motions of the actors. If the videos didn't auto start I'd find them a plus for unsure buyers, I ended up having to block all flash on the page to get enough peace and quiet to actually think about the drop down menus I was working with. Maybe their web devs were told to only test with IE or maybe they aren't up to the task of making it friendly with multiple browsers, either way I was glad to see a higher price on the quote so I don't have to deal with this web site any time soon. Somehow I felt this was the worst website of the bunch.

Back