BC2BC Mexico to Canada via Electric Highway June 12-20, 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a day! More hospitality than I can keep track of. I had a great time at the EAA /where meeting where I spoke. Unfortunately, I went WAY over the allotted time, so I apologize for that. I hope I spurred lots of interest that will result in action.

We had a great caravan of LEAF's to the 350green DC charger in the Stanford Mall, and I sold off the remaining two charges on the card. It only charged to 83-84% (probably 80% SOC), so we headed off to the Belmont Blink DC charger. Both ports were broken, but it did play some music and "how to" videos. I called the Blink hotline, and was told that it couldn't be remotely turned on, and that the San Ramon DC charger was also broken. I asked about the Seattle DC charger, and was told it was in testing. I then asked if there was a single Blink DC charger operating anywhere in the USA.

I met up with folks while my car charged in Novato, and Santa Rosa, before arriving at the hotel in Ukiah. The LEAF is charging now. Even with all the other activities, I drove 184 miles today.

TonyWilliams said:
I went WAY over the allotted time, so I apologize for that. I hope I spurred lots of interest that will result in action.

Tony, thanks for sharing your story with all of us. The fact the main audience was still there when you wrapped up suggests there is strong interest in your message. I think we all had a great time. Your daughter is a real trooper, enduring the long hours, and hanging around with us LEAF owners.

Have a continuing safe trip.

Kim

TonyWilliams said:
....we headed off to the Belmont Blink DC charger. Both ports were broken, but it did play some music and "how to" videos. I called the Blink hotline, and was told that it couldn't be remotely turned on, and that the San Ramon DC charger was also broken. I asked about the Seattle DC charger, and was told it was in testing. I then asked if there was a single Blink DC charger operating anywhere in the USA....

Tell me... Do you, in fact, have any cheese here at all?
Yes Sir.
Really?
No. Not really, Sir.
You havent.
Nosir. Not a scrap. I was deliberately wasting your time.

:lol:

220px-Cheeseshop.jpg

One of my favorite Monty Python skits! Well, that and the parrot...

Tell me... Do you, in fact, have any cheese here at all?
Yes Sir.
Really?
No. Not really, Sir.
You havent.
No sir. Not a scrap. I was deliberately wasting your time.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Ukiah ? oh looks like you are getting into the challenging part of the trip. good luck!
I suspect that the planned stops at various RV parks will go well. The irony is that the "upscale" leg of the journey was hit-or-miss due to the inability of Blinks to actually function.

Got my first 7th temp bar ever !!! 95F plus a DC fast charge to 80%. Picture was taken 2-3 hours after the fast charge. Those cells are slow to get the heat out to the 4 battery temperature probes, and long on holding that heat.

ce51dad6.jpg

DaveinOlyWA said:
Ukiah ? oh looks like you are getting into the challenging part of the trip. good luck!
I'm very interested in the plan for this section. Dave Howes and I are trying to figure out how to navigate that stretch in the Leaf to chaperone the climate ride in Sept.

Tony, don't worry, the further north you drive, the lower your batt temp will be. The only way we can get 7 bars up here is to drive your Leaf into a hot tub! :lol:

Geoff
Seattle

TonyWilliams said:
Got my first 7th temp bar ever !!! 95F plus a DC fast charge to 80%. Picture was taken 2-3 hours after the fast charge. Those cells are slow to get the heat out to the 4 battery temperature probes, and long on holding that heat.
O

saywatt said:
Tony, don't worry, the further north you drive, the lower your batt temp will be. The only way we can get 7 bars up here is to drive your Leaf into a hot tub! :lol:

Geoff
Seattle

TonyWilliams said:
O

there was an Oregonian who drove and charged at all the Southern OR DCFC stations and saw 9 bars and this happened in April with rainy weather and temps in the mid 40's. now he was QC'ing every 25 miles and did do about 9 QC sessions

Electric4Me said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I'm very interested in the plan for this section. Dave Howes and I are trying to figure out how to navigate that stretch in the Leaf to chaperone the climate ride in Sept.

This part, so far, appears REALLY easy. Santa Rosa is close to having a Blink DC, and assuming that worked, you could hit Ukiah Super 8 Motel quite easily (AV L2), then Benbow Hotel south of Garberville (bring NEMA 14-50 pigtail for your upgraded EVSE, your golf clubs and fishing pole), then easily make the Nissan dealer and public L2 at Eureka, then the Oregon border (might need a little more boost for that somewhere; let ya know).

I have only used one RV park, and that was overnight in Big Sur (south of San Francisco). Obviously, always have a backup plan for any long distance stretch.

If I had a 6.6 or faster charger, this would be really easy (by current electric car standards, excluding anything made by Tesla).

DaveinOlyWA said:
saywatt said:

Geoff
Seattle

TonyWilliams said:
O

there was an Oregonian who drove and charged at all the Southern OR DCFC stations and saw 9 bars and this happened in April with rainy weather and temps in the mid 40's. now he was QC'ing every 25 miles and did do about 9 QC sessions

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=183374#p183374" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
Electric4Me said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

This part, so far, appears REALLY easy. Santa Rosa is close to having a Blink DC, and assuming that worked, you could hit Ukiah Super 8 Motel quite easily (AV L2), then Benbow Hotel south of Garberville (bring NEMA 14-50 pigtail for your upgraded EVSE, your golf clubs and fishing pole), then easily make the Nissan dealer and public L2 at Eureka, then the Oregon border (might need a little more boost for that somewhere; let ya know).

I have only used one RV park, and that was overnight in Big Sur (south of San Francisco). Obviously, always have a backup plan for any long distance stretch.

If I had a 6.6 or faster charger, this would be really easy (by current electric car standards, excluding anything made by Tesla).

So Tony, are you charging there along 101 right now, south of Richardson Grove?

Boomer23 said:
So Tony, are you charging there along 101 right now, south of Richardson Grove?

About 5 miles south of Garberville. Gorgeous place with dedicated EV charging spot (you need your NEMA 14-50 adapter). Having a nice dinner with all the money I saved not buying gas.

It looks like the last hit of the SPOT tracker was 10 miles away, so maybe all those Redwoods blocked it.

Last SPOT lat/long
39.95919 -123.78259

Here's where I am

http://www.benbowinn.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TRACK ME HERE

Back