BC2BC Mexico to Canada via Electric Highway June 12-20, 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent the night at an RV park in Big Sur. He's still there...nos surprising since he was probably setting up their tent at midnight!

This leg is nothing short of amazing, especially considering he seemed to have passed on even a topping off at San Simeon. He must've been pretty confident he was gonna make the 90+ mi., including elevation gains/dips. Even if you see this on paper, you calculate out the range, and you know you just need to slow down to go further, most Leafers still wouldn't do it.

Tony, tu tienes muchos cojones! :lol:

drees said:
Looks like he's still going about 25-30 mph - halfway to Big Sur - 47 mi from Morrow Bay, 44 mi to Big Sur. Too bad he's driving this stretch at night - it's an absolutely beautiful drive.

To help visualize his progress you can copy in lat/long coordinates from the Spot tracking website into Google Maps.

Here's a map with his last departure point, current position at this time, and destination.

Looks like he's going to need some reserves to make the nearly 1000 ft peak before he descends into Big Sur, but once he makes that peak he should be good to go. At 30 mph he should be good for 130+ miles pretty easily, so it looks like he's playing it conservative which is good.

LindaK said:
Spent the night at an RV park in Big Sur. He's still there...nos surprising since he was probably setting up their tent at midnight!
Tony's SPOT site indicates he made it to the RV park at 2:30am (overshot it a bit). Looks like he just turned the car back on about 15 minutes go - it appears that his SPOT tracking device only runs when the car is on.

There might be cell service in Bur Sur, but I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't... Most of the drive he's been on is extremely remote - grid electricity is rare along the run - gas stations even more rare! One of the stations along that route is typically around $6-$7/gallon, and you'll happily fill up if you need it since the closest one is probably 30-40 miles away.

JPVLeaf said:
This leg is nothing short of amazing, especially considering he seemed to have passed on even a topping off at San Simeon. He must've been pretty confident he was gonna make the 90+ mi., including elevation gains/dips. Even if you see this on paper, you calculate out the range, and you know you just need to slow down to go further, most Leafers still wouldn't do it.

Probably why he opted to drive the stretch at night. Almost all traffic is daytime tourists so a lot fewer cars wanting to pass.

Nubo said:
Probably why he opted to drive the stretch at night. Almost all traffic is daytime tourists so a lot fewer cars wanting to pass.
Perhaps, but I'd bet spending six hours on a Level 2 charger also has a lot to do with it.

By the way, do those numbers on the Spot map represent speed? 45 seems awfully fast for Tony :D

Edit: Oh, dang, I just figured it out. Those are message numbers.

The SPOT tracker is battery powered and you turn it on manually. It stays on for 24 hours unless you turn it off. When it's on, it attempts to send a position update every 10 minutes, but if it doesn't have a good view of the sky it will fail.

I believe Tony will turn it off to save battery life when he's not moving.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I believe Tony will turn it off to save battery life when he's not moving.

-Phil

I can confirm that....he turns off the spot when stopped for any length of time. Then it's back on as he starts up again.

BTW, I have a LOT of video on my computer that Tony was unable to get uploaded. If his son is reading this, can you contact me? ([email protected])
~Linda

You guys have most of the puzzle figured out. Yes, late at night was a positive for this leg, because I was dipping into single digit speeds. My LED sequential flashing arrows were mounted to the rear, and ran all the way to Big Sur. I probably only saw less than a dozen cars past San Simeon.

I did overshoot the campground, but that's because I still had 10% battery remaining. I wanted a record that every Tom, Dick and Harry won't beat !!! (not easily anyway). So, 100.7 miles, Morro Bay to Big Sur. The new Gidmeter helped a lot, because whilst climbing the steep portions, I could hold speed more accurately with the amperage read out. One hill I was climbing at 10mph, and the speed slipped down to 8mph, so rather than accelerate the car, I could very carefully bump up power (far easier in ECO mode) from, say 14.5 amps to 15 amps, until I stopped the speed decay without wasting energy accidentally accelerating. I arrived in The camp site with just a bit past VLB, at about 5% Gid.

Folks, there wasn't much more for this car to give, so I absolutely had to plan the drive, and drive the plan. My red car would NOT have completed this leg. Like an airplane crossing the pond, we set half way point contingency plans, to determine to press on, or return. I had 53% at the halfway point, and knew that the worst elevation changes were still ahead. I went to "very aggressive energy conservation" mode for the last half.

When we arrived at the RV campground, I left the car running after i plugged in to the NEMA 14-50, and of course, as I already knew, the heater does not work until it is charged back up above 20%. The heated seats and steering wheel saved us in the 47 degree temps. The red car would have froze us! I forgot that this car even had the electric seat warmers until I started shivering.

Fog was thick, and I had to keep cycling the defrost to see. Then, when I finally remembered the heated steering wheel, it did help with defrost. Phil's kit to run the fan only would have helped a lot.

Final numbers from memory: 5.0 miles/kWh, 5% remaining, well over 5 hours enroute (with one stop to rest), 100.7 miles.

TonyWilliams said:
Phil's kit to run the fan only would have helped a lot.
Congrats on that record! I'll be happy to set your car up with the climate control upgrade when we meet up. (Or I meet your car in Davis)

Now it's easy to see why having good instrumentation is invaluable in the Leaf. The LEAFSCAN has a highly sensitive analog watt meter. I currently have mine scaled so it's 50kW full scale, which is the most useful. It becomes surprisingly easy to hypermile with this tool. Last night I ran an almost 80 mile trip from Berkeley to SFO, then to Moraga (hills!), and back to Berkeley. I had 19% SoC remaining (49 Gids) because I drove very carefully, limiting power to 20kW max and optimizing my regen down hills.

pic

-Phil

Ingineer said:
The LEAFSCAN has a highly sensitive analog watt meter. I currently have mine scaled so it's 50kW full scale, which is the most useful. It becomes surprisingly easy to hypermile with this tool.
Is this analog watt meter any different (? any better) than the energy screen available on the Nav screen of the Leaf?

Stoaty said:
Is this analog watt meter any different (? any better) than the energy screen available on the Nav screen of the Leaf?
WAY better! Way more responsive (updates almost instantly and at a high frequency), way more sensitive (higher resolution), and it shows the true watts from the battery, not just the motor's consumption.

You'll be able to assign any parameters to these analog or digital gauges.

-Phil

MaryC said:
Looks like he made it to the Blink in Watsonville, it reports being in use...I hope it is him.

Ya, that's me. They don't have this one marked, so a big f-ing oil burner was parked here. They moved from the power of my radar quality stare. I called the city to report this "oversight". Hopefully, they'll get back to me.

Leaving for San Francisco bay in a few minutes. I've got plenty of electrons to make it up the highway 17 grade. Nice easy day today, beautiful weather.

Anxious to drive around my old stomping grounds (10 years in the east bay, while an air traffic controller at Oakland ARTCC in Fremont).

Car has no problems; the only breakdown so far was the poorly assembled NEMA 14-50 (by my hired electrician), so I fixed that at Linda's house in Morro Bay. Thanks again, Linda, for the awesome hospitality! :mrgreen: I genuinely appreciate the support from so many in the EV and LEAF community! Too many people to name them all.

I've got a bunch of computer stuff to do tonight, so looking forward to getting settled early tonight, and getting this done.

6232c39b.jpg

Ingineer said:
Stoaty said:
WAY better! Way more responsive (updates almost instantly and at a high frequency), way more sensitive (higher resolution), and it shows the true watts from the battery, not just the motor's consumption.

What he said !!! Yes, that kind of resolution helps for stretching things, particularly in challenging conditions. The prototype Gidmeter II is totally awesome so far. No buttons !!! Just plug and go.

Back