Battery Degradation DataBase

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
joeriv said:
There are no Leafs in Phoenix or Toronto per my earlier post on this:

“1. The study consists of cars in Arizona, Rhode Island, New York, Nashville TN, Florida and Lincoln, Nebraska. Other areas may open up later.”

The “conventional wisdom” can be misleading at best - see this study backed by data on the Leaf 30 battery:

https://flipthefleet.org/2018/30-kwh-nissan-leaf-firmware-update-to-correct-capacity-reporting/

I wish we could get the raw data on Leafs in this study but it’s not going to happen.

IIRC that study - and its extrapolations - are based on a grand total of nine cars, and most (all?) of them were not built in North America. Grain of salt suggested.

Sorry but not even a trace of Salt in that study. All the cars were pre SW update so results are based on invalid interactions between LBC and BMS

LeftieBiker said:
Was I mistaken about the number of cars used, or where they were built...?

Didn't open link but was this not the New Zealand (or may Australia ) claim that 30 kwh packs degraded 2 or 3 times faster than 24 kwh packs?

Because the tests happened before Nissan issued the correction SW update

I have put the link to the page in my browser shortcuts so I can check back every quarter on readings. I think it is as objective as we can get though sample size for some cars will be small.

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:

Didn't open link but was this not the New Zealand (or may Australia ) claim that 30 kwh packs degraded 2 or 3 times faster than 24 kwh packs?

As if they would know. The 30kWh Nissan LEAFs were never sold new in Australia or New Zealand. But don't let the truth get in the way of a story to "prove " how useless electric cars are.

brunohill said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:

As if they would know. The 30kWh Nissan LEAFs were never sold new in Australia or New Zealand. But don't let the truth get in the way of a story to "prove " how useless electric cars are.

I remember the New Zealand story and yes the Leaf's made it there thought the Gray Market not the Nissan channel. Nissan used this info and discovered the BMS problem then rolled out the BMS afterwards.

I guess the software fixed worked but it did not reverse dying battery packs at least in our case. We lost the 4th bar just under to months after purchasing our 2016 Leaf SL last Oct 2019. It dropped bar 8 and bar 7 after we trailer it to a Nissan Leaf service center. They had received a new Leaf shop computer system but never had a Leaf in the shop to learn how to use it. Because I dropped it off 30 Dec 2019 when the factory service tech was on vacation they were stuck. I told them to keep our Leaf and get a factory trainer out there since it is only 75 miles from the factory and get the two dealership techs trained since they had a Leaf now in the shop. I have not heard back if the factory rep showed up or not. They were trying to figure out how/why two bars were lost with it setting in the shop for a few days.

https://www.greencarreports.com/ne...3-times-that-of-earlier-electric-cars-study

https://insideevs.com/news/338528...016-17-leaf-30-kwh-battery-reporting-issues/

But don't let the truth get in the way of a story to "prove " how useless electric cars are.

AFAIK no one here is trying to do that. I'm certainly not. I responded to claims that the Nissan BMS update had "fixed" the "false" capacity loss issue with 30kwh Leafs by noting that the study used a very small number of cars * and that it didn't look like those cars had even been built with US-made battery packs.

* This is important, because unlike previous generations of 24kwh packs, the 30kwh packs seem to vary widely from car to car in their resistance to degradation and in their susceptibility to the BMS error that the update is supposed to fix. Personally, I still stand by my advice that 30kwh Leafs be examined very carefully for degradation, unless they still have 12 (and maybe now 11) capacity bars with NO update having been done.

Back