Battery capacity change at 6K miles possible?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tailgate1234

On my morning commute, (about 15 miles) I used to use 1-2 bars starting from 80% charge. For the past week, I've been using 4 bars for the exact same route and according to Carwings my consumption is the same. My power meter still shows 12 bars of capacity but maybe this is a sign that's about to change. Is it possible that at only 6K miles the battery capacity could have noticeably dropped?

I wonder if it's getting colder and you may have the heater going without knowing it if your inside cabin temperature is set to higher outside temperature. The heater for sure will suck up a lot of power.

Volusiano said:
I wonder if it's getting colder and you may have the heater going without knowing it if your inside cabin temperature is set to higher outside temperature. The heater for sure will suck up a lot of power.
Yes, it's been noticeably colder in the SF Bay Area.

CarWings shows the energy use by your accessories on a daily basis under the "My Driving Style" tab / link. It shows the current week day by day and a navigation arrow will take you back to the prior weeks for comparison.

Nekota said:
CarWings shows the energy use by your accessories on a daily basis under the "My Driving Style" tab / link. It shows the current week day by day and a navigation arrow will take you back to the prior weeks for comparison.

That would be really good IF it recorded every trip, but if you don't have a good signal or forget to 'ok' the screen, it won't receive all the data. The total miles it shows for OCT for instance, is much lower than my actual for this month, so for me, it must be the signal at times.

Not likely the miles since 6K miles only translates into 80 cycles. More likely it's just the temperature. If it warms up you'll probably see a difference in the other direction.

we are at 7.5 K and just as the night time temperature has been dropping we've been noticing a drop in the MPkW. I don't have solid numbers yet because several people had been driving the car. the lifetime average for the vehicle has stayed steady at 4.3 but over the last few weeks I have noticed that even with conservative driving the short term MPkW is showing 3.8 whereas just a few months ago I had routinely been getting 4.5. I may be getting lazy with the driving techniques and my wife definitely drives with a heavier foot and has been driving the Leaf more so that could explain some of it, but certainly not all of it. I think we are seeing the effect of cold even though we are only seeing mid 40's at night. Unfortunately our garage is not insulated at all, with large breezy gaps in the garage door seal. I'll keep an eye on this and continue reporting back. I'm still getting decent range so I'm wondering if the MPkW meter/floating voltage is being effected more than actual mileage.

One other thought - did you recently get the TCU update (NSB11-041) installed? That seemed to make a difference (read: drop) in my "miles per bar" (and I believe that others have reported similarly).

According to Carwings and the energy history in the car (which aren't the same - Carwings consistently shows lower consumption - about 5 mi/KW vs. 4 mi/KW in the car) I am using the same amount of power as before. My miles remaining start at about the same place as before but decline much more quickly.

Back