Barrons' reporter runs Leaf flat in Manhattan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so you do see (up to) 3 locations (just not downloaded from CARWINGS).

Does it indicate the routed (driving) distance to each of your indicated charge-locations?

Or, do you select (touch) one to see the location's real driving distance?

Gonewild said:
Why would she plan a trip with that distance? As someone said she wanted it to run out to MAKE the story and not just to report on how nice a car it is.

Why does she not drive a gas car until it runs out of gas and say "the car did not tell me I need to put gas in the car"

FYI when you "just report on how nice a car it is" you are not reporting - that's in fact called marketing.

I'm glad people are testing the strengths and weaknesses of the vehicle and the support network. Without tests like this nothing will be improved upon, and clearly there are things that can be improved!

Her college degree doesn't mean she's learned common sense. I believe she tried to run out of battery power on purpose :twisted:

I'd suggest mass transit, i.e. the bus, train or subway for the journalist genius. Some people are a public liability behind the wheel of a car.

Also, I'd expect that a seasoned automotive journalist should be given more credibility that that Barron reporter. Her video came across as an embarrassment to Barrons :oops: , more so than to Nissan. Barrons should give her restaurants to review, rather than cars.

gasmiser1 said:
Her college degree doesn't mean she's learned common sense. I believe she tried to run out of battery power on purpose :twisted:

I'd suggest mass transit, i.e. the bus, train or subway for the journalist genius. Some people are a public liability behind the wheel of a car.

Also, I'd expect that a seasoned automotive journalist should be given more credibility that that Barron reporter. Her video came across as an embarrassment to Barrons :oops: , more so than to Nissan. Barrons should give her restaurants to review, rather than cars.

I am surprised at how many people here are upset that the reporter found a few issues with the vehicle. The report seemed fair and balanced to me.

garygid said:
OK, so you do see (up to) 3 locations (just not downloaded from CARWINGS).

Does it indicate the routed (driving) distance to each of your indicated charge-locations?

Or, do you select (touch) one to see the location's real driving distance?

If you press the blue button the Nav just displays the charging stations, which in my case are ONLY the places that I have already charged at. I do not know if it will guide me to one of them....maybe I can try another turtle mode experiment in my neighborhood to see if it will. :geek:

I've also heard that if you keep driving a gas car and ignore all the low gas indicators, you can also lose the ability to rotate the wheels....or so i am told.

rainnw said:
I've also heard that if you keep driving a gas car and ignore all the low gas indicators, you can also lose the ability to rotate the wheels....or so i am told.

Fine - I'll play devils advocate - I've also heard that manufacturers often make lavish claims about economy and mileage. So if an oem Told you a car needed to be filled up every 700 miles and then a reporter tested it and found that claim could be out by as much as 25% would you be angry at the reporter or the car manufacturer?

FYI a gas powered vehicle provides a reasonably consistent range estimate for low fuel - not what appears to be a randomly changing range remaining as with an ev as people appear to be discovering

blackvalkyrie said:
FYI a gas powered vehicle provides a reasonably consistent range estimate for low fuel - not what appears to be a randomly changing range remaining as with an ev as people appear to be discovering
Apparently you haven't driven a Prius. :eek: The Gen II in particular is notorious for only getting you from 5-50 miles once the low-fuel light comes on. There are many stories of people running out of fuel in it! Oh irony of running out of fuel in the most fuel efficient vehicle on the market!

drees said:
blackvalkyrie said:
Apparently you haven't driven a Prius. :eek: The Gen II in particular is notorious for only getting you from 5-50 miles once the low-fuel light comes on. There are many stories of people running out of fuel in it! Oh irony of running out of fuel in the most fuel efficient vehicle on the market!

Really? I own a gen2 prius - IN fact I was on the waiting list to buy it when it came out and it's the vehicle I am trading on the leaf -you sure picked the wrong car as your example oh the real irony!!! :lol: - and my prius has been extremely consistent in both its economy and it's indicated low fuel BTW it's black.

blackvalkyrie said:
my prius has been extremely consistent in both its economy and it's indicated low fuel BTW it's black.
Maybe so, but Google quickly shows that running out of fuel in the Prius is very common: http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Apriuschat.com+ran+out+of+fuel

drees said:
blackvalkyrie said:
my prius has been extremely consistent in both its economy and it's indicated low fuel BTW it's black.
Maybe so, but Google quickly shows that running out of fuel in the Prius is very common: http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Apriuschat.com+ran+out+of+fuel

sorry - what straws are you grasping at?

I'm used to driving a car whose speedometer is spot-on (to within +0/-1mph, verified w/GPS), whose fuel gauge is rather precise, whose low-gas light comes on at the same fuel level every time, and whose clock hasn't strayed more than two minutes over the past 5 years. (And before you ask, it's not a fancy car, this is just a basic Hyundai.) This is a standard of quality to be expected from any car. I wouldn't expect any less from Honda, Toyota, or Nissan.

So when I hear reports of any car where the clock loses several minutes within the space of a month, the speedometer reads 5 mph too slow, and it inconsistently stops moments after the low battery light comes on - I don't see this as something normal by any means. That said, I'm pretty sure that most LEAFs are performing quite well. But when you discover issues such as these with your car, let's get real, it's defective and you ought to see your dealer to get it fixed!

Back