Badges? We don' need no stinkin' Badges!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
cwerdna said:
Yay! You finally got a Leaf!

Ahh, I see you removed the "hamburger".
Thanks! It didn't taste good, even after I added a bunch of assorted condiments. =)

-Phil
Your VIN ... you're kidding - right?
:lol:

but yea . . . you shoulda never let us see the LED's - SHWeeet !!

Skywagon said:
I removed all the rear and side badges over 4 months ago, posted about it in the ELECTRIC badge thread... I prefer the look over any badges:

5945092847_f2684e9453_b.jpg

If I were to run any badges I would consider the LEAF and ELECTRIC like you have done. The Nissan "hamburger" and Zero Emission (improper grammer) badges are annoying to me.

I started out looking for info on removing the Zero Emission badges. Not because of grammar but because I'm tired of people bleating on about how "it's not really zero emissions", etc.. You can try explaining how the overall emissions are still lower but that ends up being a tepid response. They are technically correct and anyone with an open mind will have already considered it, instead of assuming that you never stopped to think that "electricity has to come from somewhere".

So anyway, on the way to learning about the string trick, I ran across your post and I really prefer the clean look and realized I'm tired of having to wash and wax around all that.

Now there's another "nude" Glacier Pearl leaf running about (well, except for the CA HOV stickers).

What's the deal with the front "hamburger"? Is it bolted on, or did you just not want to leave the depression behind?

Regards,

Nubo said:
So anyway, on the way to learning about the string trick, I ran across your post and I really prefer the clean look and realized I'm tired of having to wash and wax around all that.

Now there's another "nude" Glacier Pearl leaf running about (well, except for the CA HOV stickers).

What's the deal with the front "hamburger"? Is it bolted on, or did you just not want to leave the depression behind?

Regards,
Looks good!

Yeah, I saw that removing the front would involve body work and paint, so I didn't bother. Plus it's not so cluttered being alone on the front.

-Phil

IBLEAF's post on Plasti-Dip made me rethink my total lack of badges. Decided I did want people to at least recognize the model name; maybe prompt thought or conversations inside the vehicles following or passing, but without the "zero emission" contention.

Anyway, I thought the LEAF logo might look good in black on the white car, and given a more prominent spot. And so here it is. At least for now. :p

blly.jpg

How did you remove the rear badges? I threaded some dental floss under the Nissan badge, but the badge is stuck on pretty good, broke the floss. My fingernails aren't strong enough either.

mcochris said:
How did you remove the rear badges? I threaded some dental floss under the Nissan badge, but the badge is stuck on pretty good, broke the floss. My fingernails aren't strong enough either.

I used monofilament fishing line.

Thanks for the tips, I removed two of the rear badges. I used a hair dryer (search YouTube for "remove car badge") to warm up the Nissan "hamburger" and fishing line as a "saw" between the car body and the badge. Once the top part of the hamburger is loose, you can pry the rest of the badge off with your fingers. Most of the adhesive tape can be removed by rolling it off with your thumb. I used Turtle Wax Ice polish to clean off the remainder of the residue.

The "Zero Emission" badge on the trunk did not need heat to remove.

The larger "Zero Emission" badge on the front doors will need heat to loosen and remove.

Has anyone removed the front badge? Wondering if it's bolted on.

Thanks again for the tips!

The front badge came off very easily with just a little lifting with my fingernails. It probably would have fallen off after a bump or two. It's not bolted on, just double sided tape. Unfortunately, the car looks like crap when removed:

frontbadge1.jpg

frontbadge2.jpg

The rear badge won't fit here, I hoped for something a little less huge. Kinda looks like a London Underground symbol might fit there.

Yeah, I noticed this was the case when I first looked at it. I wonder how it would look on our white cars as an all-black door. It should be relatively easy to make a replacement out of ABS or some other engineering sheet plastic, and remove the white one entirely. (This way it would remain if/when I ever sell the car)

I'm pretty happy with the looks of my white leaf now, and the front logo doesn't seem is out-of-place as the rear did, that's for sure!

-Phil

The door could look cool covered with black carbon fiber, maybe a one foot tall strip of it on the top of the front bumper from headlight to headlight. One poster here did that and then went wild and covered the whole hood with carbon fiber as well which went to far in my opinion. The strip by itself looked great.

mcochris said:
Unfortunately, the car looks like crap when removed
Pretty easily fixed if you can do body work. Steps:

1. Remove charge door.
2. Sand or otherwise remove the nubs showing.
3. Scuff up paint and with rough sand paper.
4. Fill badge recess with multiple layers of high quality body filler.
5. Sand until smooth and level.
6. Repeat steps 4-5 until you are happy with the surface.
7. Prime entire door with primer.
8. Sand with fine-grid sand paper
9. Repeat steps 7-8 until you are happy with the surface.
10. Final primer coat.
11. Get a spray can of matched paint from paintscratch.com or similar along with clear coat.
12. Spray on multiple light layers of color.
13. Spray on multiple layers of clear (though some will say heavier layers of clear coat may work better).
14. Wait a week or two and then buff clear coat to a nice even shine!

OK - quite a few steps, but not rocket science and could be done in a day - most of the time will be spent waiting for body filler and paint to dry. May be best to start with a replacement door and keep the original in case you want to be able to go back.

mcochris said:
The front badge came off very easily with just a little lifting with my fingernails. It probably would have fallen off after a bump or two. It's not bolted on, just double sided tape. Unfortunately, the car looks like crap when removed:

frontbadge1.jpg

frontbadge2.jpg

The rear badge won't fit here, I hoped for something a little less huge. Kinda looks like a London Underground symbol might fit there.
We have some MAJOR Bondo kings at work (and other forms of rework ... so don't get hung up on the bondo generalization). I've been considering doing this - just to see how good they are . . . and of course the touch up would follow.

mcochris said:
frontbadge2.jpg

Or just rock the Burger logo :lol:

Fat_Burger_Logo_by_Kryptid.png

Or...... an opportunity to fit the JDM "lighted" logo... Though it's probably technically illegal in the US due to the blue light.

I like the painted-white idea. Might try that.

It might look cool with no cover so the plugs are "in the wind" - more people might notice it's an electric car. Or make a replacement cover out of polycarbonate sheeting.

Ingineer said:
pic

The Rear badge comes off easily. The Front is another story, there is no easy way, but I think the back looks a LOT better like this!

-Phil

I love the look of this car. I've read how to remove the badges, but where does one get the 'Electric' badge? Also, I really like the tint level of your car. Could you tell me what level/brand of tint you chose? Thanks.

Back