As an Early Leaf Leasee I Feel Under Appreciated by Nissan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
productimprovements
jhm614 said:
Can you post a link to the facebook comment? I want to like it!

Click to open

Yes, I feel way under appreciated. My leased car has been so problematic, I feel like I am the beta tester..except..I am paying the monthly fee. And I've driven the loaner Versa way too much. Actually, I was driving the crap $10K Versa again up until today and my leaf got dented while being repaired at the dealer..ugh. I'm tired of this and filed buyback request through Nissan, 1-877-664-2738. Oh, and dealer quoted 19K trade in value wow..unbelievable..that's worse than 2012 Prius II trade in value.

LeafLeafLeaf said:
Yes, I feel way under appreciated. My leased car has been so problematic, I feel like I am the beta tester..except..I am paying the monthly fee. And I've driven the loaner Versa way too much. Actually, I was driving the crap $10K Versa again up until today and my leaf got dented while being repaired at the dealer..ugh. I'm tired of this and filed buyback request through Nissan, 1-877-664-2738. Oh, and dealer quoted 19K trade in value wow..unbelievable..that's worse than 2012 Prius II trade in value.
If you're serious about wanting out, check and see if you're eligible for Lemon Law status in your state, and file for it properly. That will help keep Nissan from dragging their feet.

tab13443 said:
We leased our Leaf in Nov. 2011 and our payment is approximately $550/month. Since November of 2012 you can get the same vehicle (actually a newer one) for around $250/month. When I went to the dealership we leased our Leaf from this past week and asked them to lower my lease payment to the current rate I was told that we are on the hook for the $550/month 36 month lease we signed. This is true, however things have changed since 11/2011. The first is the supply of Leafs' was high and demand at the price point was low, so Nissan lowered the price- significantly for Leaf leases.
The dealer told me to call the EV toll free number (877) 664-2738 and ask them what Nissan is willing to do. They essentially said the same thing the dealer did- very disappointing!!! I feel that Nissan is treating their new customers better ($250/month) than their old customers ($550/month). When I went back to the dealership this week the 1st thing the salesman said was, I am going to work hard to make your next car another Nissan- well this is not the way to have that happen.

Not sure where to turn to try to get some satisfaction- any advice??

I understand your concern.
The price did not drop because the technology got cheaper and better, since LEAF (2012/2013) is actually the same model as (2011) with minor improvements(Nissan should thank us for our feedback).
We all know why the trade-in-value declined drastically. So, I do not see that the argument of the price of early adoption is valid here.
I personally don't regret buying my car at full price, because I believe in the electrification of cars and I could only afford a LEAF not Tesla, but early battery capacity loss has definitely made me pay the price of early adoption. I purchased the car to keep it. I wasn't thinking of resale value until I learned about battery degradation. As some one else said Nissan offer of $1000 loyalty discount for owners of MY 2011 is meager compared to the deep discount (up to $10000)of MY 2012.

The price did not drop because the technology got cheaper and better, since LEAF (2012/2013) is actually the same model as (2011) with minor improvements(Nissan should thank us for our feedback).
We all know why the trade-in-value declined drastically. So, I do not see that the argument of the price of early adoption is valid here.
I personally don't regret buying my car at full price, because I believe in the electrification of cars and I could only afford a LEAF not Tesla, but early battery capacity loss has definitely made me pay the price of early adoption. I purchased the car to keep it. I wasn't thinking of resale value until I learned about battery degradation. As some one else said Nissan offer of $1000 loyalty discount for owners of MY 2011 is meager compared to the deep discount (up to $10000)of MY 2012.
Thanks for finally pointing this out. I believe a lot of us hold this same viewpoint. I had full intentions of buying out my lease after a year or so up until the battery issues starting getting attention last summer. Now I have no such intentions. I was already concerned about the high end of lease residual, which seems even more outrageous now that I can already buy a used 2011 Leaf with far fewer miles on it for only $4K more than the residual 1.5 years in the future. This may not bother the west coast zealots much, but it sure bothers those of us who didn't have any subsidies outside of the federal rebate.

caffeinekid said:
Thanks for finally pointing this out. I believe a lot of us hold this same viewpoint. I had full intentions of buying out my lease after a year or so up until the battery issues starting getting attention last summer. Now I have no such intentions. I was already concerned about the high end of lease residual, which seems even more outrageous now that I can already buy a used 2011 Leaf with far fewer miles on it for only $4K more than the residual 1.5 years in the future. This may not bother the west coast zealots much, but it sure bothers those of us who didn't have any subsidies outside of the federal rebate.

You did good when you leased your car. At least you can turn the key in when your lease ends and get into a cheaper lease until a model that works for hot climate states is available.

you buy early and you benefit (drive it first, save $200 in gasoline a month), but it may be at a price in resale or whatever.
is nissan supposed to make up for that?
same with the flat screen TV in my house. It cost $1500; a few years later it is $700. I had it earlier and benefited.
folks above have been all over this from my point of view, a satisfied buyer. We all could have waited.

thankyouOB said:
you buy early and you benefit (drive it first, save $200 in gasoline a month), but it may be at a price in resale or whatever.
same with the flat screen TV in my house. It cost $1500; a few years later it is $700. I had it earlier and benefited.
folks above have been all over this from my point of view, a satisfied buyer. We all could have waited.

What kind a TV was that?

leafwing said:
thankyouOB said:

What kind a TV was that?

sony bravia 46"
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KDL46BX450-46-Inch-1080p/dp/B006U1VG5Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1364355172&sr=8-4&keywords=sony+-+bravia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(yee of little faith)

leafwing said:
tab13443 said:
We leased our Leaf in Nov. 2011 and our payment is approximately $550/month. Since November of 2012 you can get the same vehicle (actually a newer one) for around $250/month. When I went to the dealership we leased our Leaf from this past week and asked them to lower my lease payment to the current rate I was told that we are on the hook for the $550/month 36 month lease we signed. This is true, however things have changed since 11/2011. The first is the supply of Leafs' was high and demand at the price point was low, so Nissan lowered the price- significantly for Leaf leases.
The dealer told me to call the EV toll free number (877) 664-2738 and ask them what Nissan is willing to do. They essentially said the same thing the dealer did- very disappointing!!! I feel that Nissan is treating their new customers better ($250/month) than their old customers ($550/month). When I went back to the dealership this week the 1st thing the salesman said was, I am going to work hard to make your next car another Nissan- well this is not the way to have that happen.

Not sure where to turn to try to get some satisfaction- any advice??

I understand your concern.

That's incorrect to say there is only minor improvements for 2013. The fact is, there have been MAJOR improvements/changes starting with tweaking the battery pack chemistry. It's definitely not the same pack. If you have read about NEC, there may have been sulfer added. There were over 100 improvements/changes with major ones too numerous to list here.

Back