Are you sorry you bought a Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
Today I could have spent half my lunch at Costco getting a decent price on gasoline. Very happy to drive right on by with Leaf :D
Yes, good for you, smkettner! :mrgreen: This is one of the reasons I know I won't regret getting a Leaf. I'm still waiting for mine and noticed the lines for Costco gas getting longer lately... probably the higher gas prices. Having to buy gas -- especially with a line -- seems more and more like an addiction every day (because it is and reality is just setting in). It has been more aggravating / absurd ever since I ordered my Leaf. I can't wait to drive by those lines too! :cool:

OilFreedom said:
smkettner said:
Today I could have spent half my lunch at Costco getting a decent price on gasoline. Very happy to drive right on by with Leaf :D
Yes, good for you, smkettner! :mrgreen: This is one of the reasons I know I won't regret getting a Leaf. I'm still waiting for mine and noticed the lines for Costco gas getting longer lately... probably the higher gas prices. Having to buy gas -- especially with a line -- seems more and more like an addiction every day (because it is and reality is just setting in). It has been more aggravating / absurd ever since I ordered my Leaf. I can't wait to drive by those lines too! :cool:

Beware of Costco gas.....just had my wife's ICE car (RX400h) at the shop for the engine making more noise then usual when she first starts it up...first thing the guy asked..."did you get your gas at Costco?".....turns out nothing at all wrong with the car, just bad gas!!

Yup! You will never get a bad tank of electricity. :)

Although I thought I had a bad tank from 76 back in November. By December my fuel pump quit so I think it was not bad gas after all. Just a bad pump after 175k miles.

Today I could have spent half my lunch at Costco getting a decent price on gasoline. Very happy to drive right on by with Leaf

I think that it one of the best things about the car.

"I never have to stop to get gas" :D

You don't realize how great that is until you don't

Googler said:
Nissan is now much more forthcoming about different estimates of range than they were when I ordered the vehicle. During all of 2010 they distributed misleading information to news outlets, while they remained silent on the actual range under a variety of conditions.
I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. It looks like Nissan released the "various scenarios" in June, 2010 and added the info to its confusing website. The scenarios also popped up in various places during the second half of 2010:

June 12, 2010: http://gm-volt.com/2010/06/12/nissan-reports-leaf-range-will-vary-from-47-to-138-miles/
July 16th, 2010: http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/16/driving-the-nissan-leaf-electric-car-reveals-range-variability/
September 12, 2010: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1226&start=0&hilit=epa+la4
October 20th, 2010: http://www.allcarselectric.com/news/1050660_simulated-nissan-leafs-range-in-variety-of-traffic-weather-conditions
November 18th, 2010: http://pricinginsider.carsdirect.com/2010/11/19/nissan-leaf-fuel-economy-scenarios/

For some reason, I think this info might have been in the "RAQ" process as well but I can't find my RAQ screenshots to confirm that.

Not sorry, in fact my wife & I are still negotiating over who gets to use it, and our next car will no doubt be a plug-in. But one with more range. We've had our Leaf for 1 month, and I've just estimated that our solar panels' excess production over our household use is likely to be more than we need to charge as we have been doing, every few days. We put on 1100 miles in the 1st month, probably will average less than that over the year. So we're likely to be driving for "free" (not counting the cost of the PV.)

I feel especially good when driving past gas stations, and especially bad when I have to fill up our '98 Subaru at about $50 a pop, to go longer distances. That's the main rub. We also feel calmer when driving, especially in eco-mode: can feel like a form of meditation. The gas-guzzler feels violent and noisy by comparison. Neither of us likes driving it any more.

I'd take that with a serious grain of salt. I've been using Costco gas in all my cars for many years with nary a problem. In fact, Costco gas turns over so fast, it is likely fresher than just about anywhere else. To me, that is just another unfounded old wives tale. That said, you can occasionally get a bad batch of gas anywhere...

I'm not sure what our next car will be when we replace the Acura next year, but it can't be a pure electric since we have to have one car with greater range. Perhaps a PHEV if there are any decent choices then, perhaps a diesel, perhaps a high mileage gas; we'll see...

Ready2plugin said:
Beware of Costco gas.....just had my wife's ICE car (RX400h) at the shop for the engine making more noise then usual when she first starts it up...first thing the guy asked..."did you get your gas at Costco?".....turns out nothing at all wrong with the car, just bad gas!!

derkraut said:
Boomer23 said:
Not sorry in the least. The car is endlessly fascinating to own and to drive. The quality seems to be excellent. The car is fun to drive and very smooth and silent, spacious and comfortable. I've had no issues so far.

On top of all of that, with the solar powerplant located on my roof making more power than we use at the house, I'll be driving 12,000 or more miles each year and paying NOTHING for gas OR electricity.

Just to keep everything in perspective: So....I guess you got that 5.16kw Sunpower Solar Roof for free? :roll:

We purchased our solar power system back in 2003 and it has paid for itself. So yes, right now and for the next 20 years it's free. Actually, it's better than 'free' - it's making us money every month!

The guy at work was complaining he bought an SUV recently and he spent $210/week on gasoline! Wow. I spent all of $12 in June on the Leaf in electricity costs. Enough said. It's a great car to drive and I feel my MINI is now feeling left out!

Two months in and the answer is exactly the same as day one. NO: I love driving my LEAF!!!

chuck58 said:
In looking at the long posts and threads of problems and dealer ineptitude is anyone regretting their purchase of the Leaf?
I have my $99.00 deposit in for 10 months. No roll out on the east coast yet which maybe has been good for me to see what others are experiencing.
Don't get me wrong, i am on board with the whole electric car idea and want to be an early adopter.

I don't regret it at all. I almost came close to converting my ICE to an all electric car, but am glad I waited until the first mass produced all electric car came out. Quite honestly I was expecting until 2015 before that would happen. My husband and I have been members to a chapter here in Seattle called the Electric Auto Assoc. (EAA) for about 4 years now. We even attended EV racing events. I loved watching the Tesla Roadster leave the Porche in the dust. But watching EV vs EV on the track is amazing. You don't have to wear ear plugs like at drag races. Watching them go from 0-60 in 3 sec.

My husband converted his 2nd generation Prius into a plug-in. He gets 70 miles to a gallon. He can stay in EV mode most of the time if he stays under 40 mph. but if he has to climb a hill it kicks into gas. But we need his Prius for long trips and for my husband's commute. No place to plug in at work. My Leaf is our pleasure car and my primary car (retired) for running errands and visiting friends in ther area I live. It is perfect for me and we use the Leaf for weekend driving in our area. The Prius gets the weekend off unless we are going out of town. I did do my first 100 round trip 2 days ago, but had to make sure I plugged in before returning home. I was able to charge on a L2 charger at a Nissan dealer that was close by where I was visiting. Soon the public Blink L2 chargers will be in place by the end of July through out the Seattle Metro area. In fact I am going to a opening ceremony on the 12th for the rollout of 3 locations going online. Each having 4 chargers at their locations. I went for a week of driving on one charge. But just short 6 to 15 mile round trips a day. If I add 30 or 50 mile round trips in the mix then I need to charge twice that week. I have a L2 installed in my garage. I have the fast charging port installed on my car but I don't really need it. And I don't know when the L3 will be available yet. The charging station locations on the Nav system is wonderful. I gives you a secure feeling knowing where they are at hand. The best experience is we are Mariner fans and we were able to plug into a L2 at the ballpark while watching the game. Now that is glorius! Especially the parking stalls were empty waiting for us. No ICE cars could park in those spots. We felt priviliged. However we really didn't need to plug in because we had enough juice to get home but why not take advantage of the situation. If you don't plan on long out of range trips and the Leaf will be a second car then I would go for it. Less anxiety that way. But when the infrastructure gets well on it's way then that reason will fade. I have had no bad experience yet with the car and and don't expect to either. It is fun to drive and you get a lot of attention from bystanders wherever you go. :cool:

Aloha,

No regrets here. We have about 700mi on our LEAF and have enjoyed the experience so far. It's been great to not rely on gas for our primary transportation (we have a small truck for the occasional errand that requires hauling heavy loads). Gas/energy is expensive in Hawaii so we've been adopting practices to minimize our dependency. Our LEAF is part of the equation. We've also installed PV, solar hot water heating, grow some of our food, and support our farmer's markets.

Noel

I'm at almost 1000 miles on the LEAF (I will probably pass that mark in the next two days), and I still love mine. :)

320 miles on the Hertz rental LEAF, anxiously awaiting my chance to order. Based on my experience with the rental, I can't see how I'll be sorry to buy a LEAF. This will be my first new car, ever. This is the first time in 40 years of driving I've ever felt it was worth it to buy a new car. I don't want to wait 2-3 years for used LEAFs to appear. I'm having a hard enough time waiting to buy a new one!

I am still liking Leaf after 4k miles and although I don't have range anxiety, Leaf's short range has been bugging me. I am not a hyper miler or right lane driver, I drive it for fun like a regular car and get under 50 miles range with daily 80% charge which I use primary to extend the battery life. I am not using A/C, so once the weather gets colder I expect to get even less then that.

Back