Anyone installed the engineer 8kw extender yet?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epirali

Found the original thread and read to end, but couldn't find any reports from a user of the pack. Am seriously considering it, but would love to get input from a leaf owner/user.

Also anyone know where in Maryland I could get someone to do quality install work?

Thanks

Do they still make it? I had read that it had been discontinued for the Leaf and I see nothing on their web page...

epirali said:
Found the original thread and read to end, but couldn't find any reports from a user of the pack. Am seriously considering it, but would love to get input from a leaf owner/user.

TomT said:
Do they still make it? I had read that it had been discontinued for the Leaf and I see nothing on their web page...

epirali said:

Maybe they have, I'll call them tomorrow and report

Just wanted to throw in some caution, but I heard from someone at a previous San Francisco Bayleafs meeting that the system is NOT officially approved by Nissan. He had purchased the upgrade because the Enginer advertisement in an EV magazine had mentioned that was approved. Unfortunately, this is untrue. If I recall correctly, he later had problems with his car's charging system and Nissan would not perform any repairs as the car was modified without their approval.

I haven't verified any of this further as I wasn't interested in purchasing the unit, but a strong buyer beware should be heeded IMO.

edit:

Here's a post discussing that Enginer argues it does not void warranty because the "Kit installation does not cut any wires, and the car can be returned to stock state at any time. The company claims it does not void the Leaf's warranty."

http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html#nabble-td4657414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm guessing that the whole thing would need to be uninstalled and the car returned to stock if warranty service is required, but who knows...

waitingforaleaf said:
Just wanted to throw in some caution, but I heard from someone at a previous San Francisco Bayleafs meeting that the system is NOT officially approved by Nissan. He had purchased the upgrade because the Enginer advertisement in an EV magazine had mentioned that was approved. Unfortunately, this is untrue. If I recall correctly, he later had problems with his car's charging system and Nissan would not perform any repairs as the car was modified without their approval.

I haven't verified any of this further as I wasn't interested in purchasing the unit, but a strong buyer beware should be heeded IMO.

edit:

Here's a post discussing that Enginer argues it does not void warranty because the "Kit installation does not cut any wires, and the car can be returned to stock state at any time. The company claims it does not void the Leaf's warranty."

http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html#nabble-td4657414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm guessing that the whole thing would need to be uninstalled and the car returned to stock if warranty service is required, but who knows...

Thank you. I would pretty much bet this voids warranty, I wouldn't assume otherwise. But it still is tempting...

My understanding is that Enginer has been out of business for some time time (perhaps a year?), but their website does not indicate this.

iluvmacs said:
My understanding is that Enginer has been out of business for some time time (perhaps a year?), but their website does not indicate this.

Hmmm I got a quote from them yesterday....

Back