Anyone added a second drive battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clivech

My 2014 Leaf is down to about 40 miles range in the winter, 60 in summer. Has anyone successfully added another battery? I would have thought you could connect another one in series so that when the first one gets low, the second one kicks in. There's plenty of room in the boot! Or am I just a crazy dreamer?!

Saw an ad for "range extender" for the Leaf that was just a battery pack fitted in the hatch area.
I see a lot of problems with that, weight and safety being the big ones. Aside from putting all that weight at or behind the rear axle, there is no separation from the passenger compartment in a bad crash.
That is before we get into the integrating with the cars electrics issue.
a new 40Kw pack and realistic expectations on what the car can and cannot do sounds better to me.
I'd love to be able to have my Leaf as my only car, It is comfortable and quiet, but I went in with my eyes wide open, and know its limitations, and the fact those will grow as it continues to age. If I have enough time to save enough before range becomes a real issue, then a new replacement battery with more Kw than the original may be a possibility.

Just as EVSE' are often referred to as "chargers" even by the mfg that make them, although most people know they are little more than a contactor and some handshake safety devices, they are still known to many as "chargers". The wrong term in the correct context and people understand the point.
Yes, I know the difference, one is a measure of power and one is that power over time, much as torque and Hp are related.
If I asked of a fellow Leaf owner, do you have a 24,30, 40 or 65 battery pack in their car, all would know what I'm asking, even though I didn't specify what the numbers were for.
In the above post I was addressing some real safety concerns about putting that large amounts of stored power in the passenger compartment and in a location that could easily be damaged in a crash. I think that info is far more concerning than whether the correct terms were used, esp when it is easy for me when typing fast to not type the "h" and not notice it.
If you feel it important to follow behind and correct me, in all my post, go ahead, but it is a rare instance that the error will cause bad or misinformation. If you choose to, I'm sure it will be a full time job.

Saw an ad for "range extender" for the Leaf that was just a battery pack fitted in the hatch area.
I see a lot of problems with that, weight and safety being the big ones. Aside from putting all that weight at or behind the rear axle, there is no separation from the passenger compartment in a bad crash.
That is before we get into the integrating with the cars electrics issue.
a new 40Kw pack and realistic expectations on what the car can and cannot do sounds better to me.
I'd love to be able to have my Leaf as my only car, It is comfortable and quiet, but I went in with my eyes wide open, and know its limitations, and the fact those will grow as it continues to age. If I have enough time to save enough before range becomes a real issue, then a new replacement battery with more Kw than the original may be a possibility.
Thanks, cornbinder. I was thinking weight and safety would be crucial, but didn't know if anyone had tried it anyway. As Stanton says, probably best just to save up for a longer-range EV.

My 2014 Leaf is down to about 40 miles range in the winter, 60 in summer. Has anyone successfully added another battery? I would have thought you could connect another one in series so that when the first one gets low, the second one kicks in. There's plenty of room in the boot! Or am I just a crazy dreamer?!
I have a 30kWh battery in the boot of my 2013 leaf. It runs in parallel with existing 24kWh HV battery. A second set of contactors are also mounted in the boot. Both batteries are well used (SoH about 58%). I get a usable 33kWh, which is about what a used ZE1 40kWh has

Total cost was about US$1500, mainly for the used 30kWh battery pack. But about $100 worth of 50mm2 cables and lugs and various hardware, including 50x3mm steel straps under the boot floor for secure mounting

I have the second battery set up using the factory mounting hardware and busbars and even the bms wiring harness, so I can balance the extender battery every month. This bms is not connected until the extender battery is isolated for balancing

It took me about 20 hours of work, but transformed a marginal range car into a good usable car

It sits 35mm lower in the rear due to weight. I may get a stiffer set of springs at some point

I have a 30kWh battery in the boot of my 2013 leaf. It runs in parallel with existing 24kWh HV battery. A second set of contactors are also mounted in the boot. Both batteries are well used (SoH about 58%). I get a usable 33kWh, which is about what a used ZE1 40kWh has

Total cost was about US$1500, mainly for the used 30kWh battery pack. But about $100 worth of 50mm2 cables and lugs and various hardware, including 50x3mm steel straps under the boot floor for secure mounting

I have the second battery set up using the factory mounting hardware and busbars and even the bms wiring harness, so I can balance the extender battery every month. This bms is not connected until the extender battery is isolated for balancing

It took me about 20 hours of work, but transformed a marginal range car into a good usable car

It sits 35mm lower in the rear due to weight. I may get a stiffer set of springs at some point
Xafalcon, how about some pictures of your installation? I would never have thought the 2nd battery would fit.

Back