Any other scheduled December deliveries?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Georgeparrot, I share your frustration over lack of cars. I believe they are satisfying orders for Japanese customers first. I also believe they are delivering demos to their 2200 dealers in Japan starting on December 20. Doing all that takes about 6,000 cars off the top. It is not unreasonable for them to satify their home market first . Even though th U S maket sells a lot more cars.

What keeps me going is that Nissan has done a hell of a job to bring an EV to mass production. So... I give them alot of slack. When i reserved my Leaf, I never thought it would take a year or more to get it. If I had known what I know now, I would have bought an ICE and waited until there is an adequate supply of EV`s for purchase

hill said:
Dude !!
If you got a VIN, you can pay for it - even though it's not in your physical possession. That'll give you the 2010 tax credit !!

That's actually not correct. If you look at the IRS form 8936, for the EV tax credit, it asks for the date the vehicle was placed in service, not the purchase date. A vehicle can't be in placed in service if you don't have it in your possession.

According to what I have read, the first Japanese delivery doesn't take place until around 20 December, so the U.S. cars appear to have some priority in terms of delivery publicity. Further the production line process probably has two different "flow timings" as the left hand drive vs right hand drive format might require....

I don't think we should be so totally forgiving. Clearly we are NOT getting honest and clear information as to why the delivery delays are taking place and TOKEN DELIVERIES to just a dozen people are not the same as honoring the full set of ALL who ordered ON THE SAME DAY.

IMHO, of course, but YMMV....

8 - )))

George in W. Sacramento

GeorgeParrott said:
I don't think we should be so totally forgiving. Clearly we are NOT getting honest and clear information as to why the delivery delays are taking place and TOKEN DELIVERIES to just a dozen people are not the same as honoring the full set of ALL who ordered ON THE SAME DAY.
We dn't get "honest and clear information" from companies for the same reason pliticians don't give them out. Opponents / competitos will use the info.

ritikatootie said:
That's actually not correct. If you look at the IRS form 8936, for the EV tax credit, it asks for the date the vehicle was placed in service, not the purchase date. A vehicle can't be in placed in service if you don't have it in your possession.
Oh really... and you base that interpretation off what court citation? My license has been valid for decades and somehow I managed to miss that interpretation. (sigh...)
;)

ritikatootie said:
hill said:
Dude !!
If you got a VIN, you can pay for it - even though it's not in your physical possession. That'll give you the 2010 tax credit !!
Continuing to take this way off topic and it should probably be in its own thread and possibly not even on this forum but I am very curious about this just the same. Poking around on the internet on what "placed in service" is as far as the irs is concerned does not seem to have a straight forward definition.

For example here is one from http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/placed-in-service.asp
"The receipt for the good will effectively double as both proof of purchase and proof of date placed in service for the IRS in the event of an audit."

Personally I would very much like to be able to purchase the Leaf this year for tax purposes and would love to entertain this concept but I doubt a dealer would be willing to setup all the paperwork and take payment without having the Leaf in their possession. I am not sure I would be comfortable paying the dealer without having the Leaf in my possession either. Anyone willing to try?

Spies said:
Personally I would very much like to be able to purchase the Leaf this year for tax purposes and would love to entertain this concept but I doubt a dealer would be willing to setup all the paperwork and take payment without having the Leaf in their possession. I am not sure I would be comfortable paying the dealer without having the Leaf in my possession either. Anyone willing to try?

But they might be able/willing (not sure about the legality of doing so) back-dating the paperwork to the end of 2010 for those taking delivery shortly after the beginning of the year. And as for "being placed in service"....does goofing with your car via Carwings count. ;)

mwalsh said:
Spies said:

But they might be able/willing (not sure about the legality of doing so) back-dating the paperwork to the end of 2010 for those taking delivery shortly after the beginning of the year. And as for "being placed in service"....does goofing with your car via Carwings count. ;)

IIRC when I bought my Ford Escape Hybrid in 2009, there now are Homeland Security documents that are filled out with a vehicle purchase....the paperwork process is ALMOST as involved as my first home purchase 21 years ago!!!

I seriously doubt the dealer will back-date anything just for your tax needs. YMMV.

GeorgeParrott said:
What in the heck has produced this kind of delivery delay? Isn't anybody else wondering WHY Nissan cannot get even 200 cars into the US for customer delivery (as effectively implied if not promised) between their highly public start of production in October and the end of December?

I must also note that my August 5 confirmed order for a Chevy Volt is every bit as frustrating, as I had anticipated both cars in my home garage by the end of December, and it now looks like it will be more like the end of February....

George - As you noted, Nissan is not the only manufacturer succumbing to production delays. My guess is that there are several factors in play.
  • -Nissan needs to deliver some cars in 2010 as promised
    -Beating Chevrolet to the punch to deliver the first mass produced electric car in the US
    -Ensuring the quality level of production vehicles that meets their standards

Compared to other manufacturers that currently offer EVs, in my opinion, Nissan is doing a pretty good job. Many have promised EV delivery and have missed by significantly larger margins than a few weeks, which is likely all the delay that is happening here. While I can understand your frustration (I ordered on Sep. 3 and have yet to receive a delivery month!). That said, I don't know of a single high technology first that hasn't experienced (sometimes significant) issues at launch. I don't know that Nissan should be held to some higher standard than Microsoft or Apple.

I can't believe all the pissing and moaning of some of you people. You are acting like 5 year olds waiting for Santa Claus. I'm sure if you got a troublesome car that was "rushed" through to meet an artificial deadline you would piss and moan about that.
An undertaking this large will certainly have problems and delays. I'd suggest that you crybabies grow up. :cry:

avanti5010 said:
I can't believe all the pissing and moaning of some of you people. You are acting like 5 year olds waiting for Santa Claus. I'm sure if you got a troublesome car that was "rushed" through to meet an artificial deadline you would piss and moan about that.
An undertaking this large will certainly have problems and delays. I'd suggest that you crybabies grow up. :cry:
"Saaah!!! Mommy!!! Avanti is being a meannie!!!"

DaveinOlyWA said:
avanti5010 said:
"Saaah!!! Mommy!!! Avanti is being a meannie!!!"

(only Gudy could say this line right now) "Don't make me pull this Leaf over!! We'll turn around and go RIGHT BACK HOME!"

avanti5010 said:

Hmmm....but to quote you from another post:

avanti5010 said:
Same for me and I live in AZ. I'm somewhat pissed about how Nissan is handling this. They screwed up the launch on the GT-R, so I guess this is Nissan's standard operating procedure.

In the political realm, I guess they'd call that a flip-flop. :lol:

Back