An aftermarket kit to improve charging to 6.6kW

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KevinSharpe said:
With respect, this must be possible because the Renault ZOE is both low cost and has plenty of cargo capacity for a mid-sized European car. I appreciate we are comparing apples with oranges when comparing OEM against aftermarket, but in Europe a 22kW or 43kW AC solution would transform the Leaf because those Charging Stations will be everywhere :)
Yes, comparing a factory-built charging system using their economies of scale and packaging flexibility, with something I can sell designed to be added to a Leaf is a big difference!

22kW is difficult to achieve in the US, as the most our EVSE's can provide (and that is rare) is 16.8kW.

KevinSharpe said:
It's worth remembering that the 22kW BRUSA NLG6 is expected to resale for around €1000 (~$1200)
If Brusa will sell me a 22kW charger for $1200 I'll be happy to figure out how to integrate it into the Leaf! I find it hard to believe their 22kW unit will be less than half the price of the 3.7kW unit!

From your link:
Roger says Brusa NLG6 22kW is more expensive than the whole ACP equipment PMC, Motor, Charger
NLG 6 22kW is about 13000sFr >14000 $
NLG6 22kW 14000$ / Tesla 2x10kW 2x1500$ > 3000$
Indeed, You left out a zero! $14,000. I can probably do it for that.

-Phil

FYI: Most RV Parks are Wye-connected 3-phase, so you get 3 legs of 120v to neutral, but 208v between any two hot legs. A smaller RV park could be on single-phase, in which case it could be 120/240 instead of 120/208.

In order to achieve 240v in a large park, they would need delta-connected 3-phase, which would result in only 2 legs usable of the 3 in a NEMA 14-50, which would be stupid (negating the benefit of 3-phase).

-Phil

Interesting discussion. You are probably aware that Electric Motor Werks in Palo Alto came up with an open 10 kW charger design. They sell them assembled as well, but I'm not sure how good they are.

Click to open

surfingslovak said:
Interesting discussion. You are probably aware that Electric Motor Werks in Palo Alto came up with an open 10 kW charger design. They sell them assembled as well, but I'm not sure how good they are.
The design is extremely crude. Not only is it dangerous, since it's non-galvanically isolated, the Leaf would fault instantly and prevent not only charging, but driving as well.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
The design is extremely crude. Not only is it dangerous, since it's non-galvanically isolated, the Leaf would fault instantly and prevent not only charging, but driving as well.
That's too bad, I was hoping they were doing a better job. It might be worth mentioning that I've noticed an interesting visitor looking over this thread earlier today.

gmvisitor66kw

Ingineer said:
22kW is difficult to achieve in the US, as the most our EVSE's can provide (and that is rare) is 16.8kW
We have plenty of Leaf's in Europe that would be candidates for the product... why just focus on the US market?

I agree that 16.8kW is rare but why not link up with Tesla owners and get more installed? The Model S drivers would love access to that.

Ingineer said:
Indeed, You left out a zero! $14,000. I can probably do it for that.
Brusa launch the 22kW charger next month so well have the final pricing then.

My suggestion is to make a modular system that scales from 6kW to 43kW and can be used on any AC power supply. Then sell it worldwide.

Ingineer said:
My car is indeed equipped with a prototype 6.6kW upgrade that works properly ...

It is optionally controllable via LEAFSCAN so that you have control over the charge rate.

pic

So...

Phil can control the charging system from LeafScan... Well then, I think that answers the question of why LeafScan is taking some development time. The final product will no doubt be something like this.

leafscan2.jpg

:D

EVDRIVER said:
JeremyW said:
pchilds said:
Yup. Tempting. I've seen it for $2k before. I'm going to ask the seller if there are cables available for it.

It's quite a bit of work to implement this FYI. Fabrication, programming, custom cables, etc.
Oh of course. I'd pay 2k for the install and fab of the cables. Honestly the slower charging rate is the only thing I don't like about my current leaf. Juke wheels, brusa in front, some leather, and I could keep this car for 10 years.

But I'd still want to be able to return the car to "lease turn in" condition, just in case.

KevinSharpe said:
EVDRIVER said:
Without the mains cables which are about another $200
Sure... but given that the eBay vendor only has 4 chargers another source might be useful :)

The other guy does not supply mains for $1995.

surfingslovak said:

Click to open

great to see our first prototype photo here ;-)) those were the days.

Anyway, I know this thread is a bit old but if you want to see the latest on our chargers, see http://emotorwerks.com/tech/electronics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. A lot of changes in last year. We now have remote control via UART serial, CAN coming in the next month or so.

A group of fellow Leaf owners worked with us to successfully use our charger hardware to demonstrate Quick-Charging ~3 weeks ago.

So things can be done outside of the textbook, so to speak...

Re 'crudeness' of the design - booster PFC followed by the buck down-converter is how vast majority of these things are built. Only instead of an isolated full-bridge (which is a derivation of buck topology), we use non-isolated simple buck, cutting the costs in half.

Valery.

valerun said:

Re 'crudeness' of the design - booster PFC followed by the buck down-converter is how vast majority of these things are built. Only instead of an isolated full-bridge (which is a derivation of buck topology), we use non-isolated simple buck, cutting the costs in half.

Valery.
Problem is on ALL current production EV's, they use a fully galvanically isolated design, along with a fully isolated HV system. This is done for safety and also to ensure the charger doesn't radiate unacceptable EMI/RFI into the environment which can have numerous (all bad) consequences. You can't "outside the textbook" this, it's done for a good reason. Encouraging people to be dangerous with HV DC is irresponsible and unprofessional. In addition, using a non-isolated charging system, you are going to set fault codes once the EV's on-board HV leakage detection system trips, which will immobilize the EV. (LEAF included!) The only way around this is to attempt to not ground the EV's body while charging which will create a dangerous situation and radiate tons of EMI/RFI into the environment.

-Phil

I was thinking of using this as part of a non-on board DCQC setup.
Looks perfect for that to me.
I think we should give it serious look.
I'll stick with the Brusa as an on board unit.

Ingineer said:
valerun said:

Valery.
Problem is on ALL current production EV's, they use a fully galvanically isolated design, along with a fully isolated HV system. This is done for safety and also to ensure the charger doesn't radiate unacceptable EMI/RFI into the environment which can have numerous (all bad) consequences. You can't "outside the textbook" this, it's done for a good reason. Encouraging people to be dangerous with HV DC is irresponsible and unprofessional. In addition, using a non-isolated charging system, you are going to set fault codes once the EV's on-board HV leakage detection system trips, which will immobilize the EV. (LEAF included!) The only way around this is to attempt to not ground the EV's body while charging which will create a dangerous situation and radiate tons of EMI/RFI into the environment.

-Phil

> Encouraging people to be dangerous with HV DC is irresponsible and unprofessional
;-) So much passion...

First of all, the danger is hugely overblown. If the system does not have any electrically live components accessible to the user (which it doesn't in any of these cars), there is no possibility for a shock. Isolated or not. Furthermore, if protected by a proper GFI, non-isolated is nearly as safe as an isolated design - even if there are live components accessible (again, not in these cars). If that wasn't the case, we would still all have inductive charging...

Secondly, if everyone thought like this, we wouldn't have automotive performance aftermarket industry at all. For example, increasing pressure by 2x in one's turbo engine has risks. Same for putting in a NOX system in your car. Some engines blow up. Yet hundreds of thousands of people do that. It's all about trade-offs. Learn about the potential risks, weigh them against the benefits, and make an informed decision. Not based on hearsay, ideally...

EMI/RFI - I have a couple of problems with the related statements in your post:
1. To uninitiated (i.e. not EE types), saying 'radiation' and 'bad consequences' without explaining is fear mongering. We have a pretty paranoid society here as it is.
2. 'A ton of RFI' is not a very scientific term. Have you measured it? Have you compared it with the background levels? Across the spectrum? We have measured radiated EMI from our non-grounded units - in a 0-10kHz band, at full 12kW power, at 3 feet, we measure less than 2 milli-gauss. Background level in my last 3 houses was 1.5-3 milli-gauss depending on how many lights are on...
3. Lastly, when your car moves, it's not grounded. Yet there is up to 80kW of AC power transferred around you (in a Leaf, up to 400kW in a Tesla S). And you are sitting IN the car (as opposed to you being in your HOUSE when you car charges). At freeway speeds, that AC also has much higher frequency than line - and radiated power is roughly proportional to the square of the frequency.

So let's try to not generalize things into non-quantitative categorical statements. Especially if you decide to launch a direct assault on other people like you did.

Thanks,
Valery.

Back