AltCar Expo 9/30-10/1/11 - Santa Monica, CA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwerdna

I hope this isn't a dupe as search is really dodgy.

See http://altcarexpo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more info. http://altcarexpo.com/exhibitor_vehicles.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; shows a VERY impressive lineup of vehicles for test drive and on display. Too bad I live over 300 miles away and am unlikely going to make the drive down there for this.

You folks in So Cal are VERY lucky.

Yep, I'm going. I enjoyed last year's expo a lot. In fact, that was where I drove a LEAF for the first time and also where I got to see the actual production paint colors for the first time as well. Lots of chances to drive low volume and interesting EVs and Hydrogen powered cars.

TRONZ said:
I wonder if all the chargers at SMP will be taken Sat? :shock: I will need one to get home.

I just got back. I arrived right at 10am. The chargers at the Civic center were full but SMP only had one Leaf there + me. As I was leaving another was pulling in. So as of 11am there were still 2 places. All listed in use now.

So get there early...

Civic center is $9 flat rate parking. SMP free for 2 hours. Also check the Civic Center parking garage. Less known than the other two.
http://carstations.com/7876" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If someone wants to charge at my place (near Wilshire and Bundy, 3-4 miles from the Expo), no problem if I am home. I expect to be here most of Friday, and back Saturday around 4:00 PM. The charging dock is in gated condo garage, so I have to be home to let you in/out. PM me if interested.

EVNation said:
So get there early...

photo.jpg

This is not a good sign for midday Friday. :shock:

Give Santa Monica Toyota a try, it's a few extra blocks away. They have a Level 2 charger. The owner, Mike Sullivan (LA Car Guy), is a big presence at the Expo and green car activist.

We just visited the Expo and parked at Santa Monica Place. First, one of the four Chargepoints was out of service (G5). A fellow LEAF talked with their tech support and it will be at least 24 hours for repair, so, down to 3 L2s. Second, I had to chase 2 ICE cars outta the EV parking spots so we and another fellow LEAF could park. Third, because there were only 3 EVSEs, two of the five EVs were S.O.L., including my LEAF. Fourth, one of the cars charging was a Volt.... I thought real hard about pulling the plug on it as it had been charging over an hour, but out of respect I didn't. I sure could've used the extra juice however...... I resisted my wife's plea to unplug the Volt. I can't say that I'm going to be as courteous next time...
:x

P.S. This situation will only get worse as time goes on, where more EVs are hitting the road and the acute lack of charging infrastructure continues...

The pier's only 120v right? Anyway, the early birds sre gettind the worms! There's only 2 L2 charge stalls available, as I just snagged spot #2 of 4. You better hurry as it's only 7:45am as I type away here in the parking stall. I'm only needing 4 hours to get juiced, so if someone needs my spot after 11:45am feel free to call the phone # on my Courtesy Charging Protocal placard ... on my dash. You all ARE bringing your courtesy placards, right? . See ya here!

hill said:
The pier's only 120v right? Anyway, the early birds sre gettind the worms!

No, SMP has a 120v CP, but also a Clipper Creek retrofitted with J1772. Another option might be one of the CP stations at Malibu Country Mart, on Cross Creek road, and a bit of lunch at one of the restaurants there? Bit of a trek from SM, but also out of the way enough to maybe be more available?

It was fortunate that I charged up at the Malibu Country Mart before attending the Expo yesterday. It would be wise to not rely on charging up in the vicinity of Santa Monica for the duration of the show. You can never know when Volts are hogging the EVSEs... :ugeek:

BTW, my home in GG to SM (or vice-versa) appears to need around 55% of a full charge at normal highway speeds, so 110% for a round-trip of 90 miles. I've been charging for 2-3 hours on L2 in SM, just to have a bit of a cushion (generally over a nice leisurely lunch). But since you get around 15% SOC for every hour, I guess you could squeeze by with less if you have a similar trip and are tight on time.

unbelievable ... in the few short minutes that I came back to the car to drop off me sweatshirt, I managed to scare off a total ot three ICE cars, that parked in the remaining 2 open charge spots. See how effective a friendly smile can be? I'm certain that being 6'-5" had nothing to do with it ... right?
:D

hill said:
unbelievable ... in the few short minutes that I came back to the car to drop off me sweatshirt, I managed to scare off a total of three ICE cars, that parked in the remaining 2 open charge spots. See how effective a friendly smile can be? I'm certain that being 6'-5" had nothing to do with it ... right?

So what was your sales pitch? I would have probably said something like, "You know, there's an EV event in SM this weekend, and I'm sure that the EV drivers looking for a charge would be really appreciative of you parking elsewhere and leaving this spot open. Because, you know, these are EV charging spots".

Back