Almost turtled a Leaf during a test drive

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmikol

I've been lurking this forum for a couple of months while I've considered getting a Leaf. I figured all the Leaf-er's here might appreciate this story about my test drive. I apologize if the story gets a bit rambling, I can't help it...

Went to the nearby dealer on Sunday to take a look at a Leaf. The dealership's "Leaf expert" wasn't in that day, but the kid who was taking care of us seemed pretty well-educated about the Leaf. Being the nerd that I am, I had done a ton of research on my own, and he didn't seem to say anything that was at odds with what I'd read. Spent a little time with the model in their showroom, and then headed out to take the test drive.

One problem, both of their "test drive" units that were plugged into the L2 had been blocked in by one of the salesmen, who couldn't be found at that moment to move the offending vehicle. So we grabbed one off the lot. When my SO fired it up, I saw that the range meter said 28 miles. This didn't seem like that big of a deal, as loop that we were going to drive seemed like it would be "short". Turns out that the loop is 17 miles, mostly highway. I think you see where this is going. On top of that, the high that day was 25F, and the low the night before had been something like 12F. So the car was cold-soaked, and my SO needs the heat on when it's 55F out, let alone 25F.

So to summarize, 25F air temperature, cold-soaked car, 28 miles on the range meter, 17 mile highway driving loop. Heat on basically the whole time. Hit LBW about 6 miles from the dealer, hit VLBW @ about 2 miles to go, if I remember correctly. Interestingly, we pulled off to switch drivers about half-way at a shopping center that had a Blink L2 and DC. I figured the kid would pop it on the charger for a bit while we went over some of the interior features, etc. He showed us how you would hook up, but didn't actually charge the thing. As we were getting closer (and lower on electrons), I made a joke about him having to buy beers for all the sales guys if he managed to turtle it on a test drive. I was driving, but SO says he was really sweating it in the back seat. Didn't end up turtle-ing it, but we had to be damn close when we got back to the dealer, and plugged in at another L2 in their service department.

Anyway, thought you all would be amused by the story...

--G

BTW--The kid said that the dealer would be putting in a DCQC soon. Should be available 24/7. Alan Webb Nissan, Vancouver, WA.

My question would be does the Dealer even have a card to operate the DC fast charger that you pulled up to, as I'm sure it would have been a 3rd party operator from the dealership.

I have not use AAA either, but it does give me a bit of confort to push the battery closer to VLBW. I would think with the wait time for them to come and the charge time, if you have a 6.6kW charger in the car you can just slow down and go to a L2. I was a big proponent of DCFC for in town driving. After 2.5 years I found out that 6.6kW will also work for me since I only used the fast charge about 10 times a year for in town driving.

This past year, our local dealer acquired a Leaf from a dealer "down the hill" in the San Fernando or Simi Valley area. I'm guessing it was a trade so the dealer with the Leaf just charges up the battery, hands the keys to one of the available ICE salesmen, and says "Take this car to Palmdale." The salesman hops in the car and heads out at freeway speed with the air conditioning on, just as he had likely done before in ICE Nissans. After 3000' of climb and about an hour of driving, the car turtled just shy of the last summit. Our local dealer retrieved both him and the Leaf with their flatbed. I would like to have heard his story when he finally arrived back at his home dealer. :lol:

I'm encouraged that the car "on the lot" only had a partial charge. This is a good way to store them when they are not going to be driven soon and definately preferable to sitting fully charged. Kudos to them for that.

Too bad their salesman blocked the test drive leafs...

adric22 said:
My question would be does the Dealer even have a card to operate the DC fast charger that you pulled up to, as I'm sure it would have been a 3rd party operator from the dealership.

Yeah...it was a Blink. But blink seems to be the most common on this side of the river. Wouldn't it make sense for them to have a Blink card and a SEMAConnect (Walgreens) card to be able to charge just about anywhere in this town on a test drive?

Anyway, the other poster was right...it's just a funny story I can tell to EV enthusiasts and give them a chuckle. It doesn't really color my opinion of the Leaf, other than to reinforce that my SO will definitely need charging @ work in the cold months, especially.

--G

You had enough juice for the trip--so, what's the problem? :lol: Range anxiety aside, close counts, in EV's! Tony Williams routinely treated his LEAFs this way. But he had extra gauges, and knew how to use them.

Back