Aerovironment Charging Appliance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincomatic

Just found this curious device on AV's website:

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/uploads/products/1_AV_HCA_061010.pdf

They call it a "home charging appliance." It plugs into 120V, so it requires no installation. It has an internal battery, so it can supply 6.6KW to your car once it's charged up. The idea is you charge this thing up when electricity is cheap, and then you can spot charge your car during peak hours. When the battery's dead, it functions as a Level 1 EVSE. As is typical of AV's spec sheets, details are meager .. there is no mention of how many KWh it can store, an important detail to know!

It will be interesting to see the estimated cost and what type of batteries it will be delivered with. One caution: There will be new efficiency losses introduced between the wall plug and vehicle batteries -- converting from 120V AC to whatever DC voltage it requires, charging the "appliance" batteries, discharging the appliance batteries, and inverter losses going from DC to 220V AC to supply to the car via the J1772 plug. For those vehicles with a DC quick charge port, perhaps a more efficient option would be to supply high-voltage DC directly via the QC port. The costs of the appliance and introduced inefficiencies would hopfully be offset by the avoided EVSE equipment and installation expenses and the off-peak cost benefit.

Mx5racer said:
it could be used to create a 220 circuit.
pulling from the wall outlet while pulling from its battery
at the same time.

I think the way it works is to charge the car via a 220V inverter when the battery is charged up. And then fall back to 120V when the battery is dead.

This things seems like a possible solution to "road side assistance" as well. If you run out of juice and are sitting by the side of the road, a tow truck with one of these on the back could pull up and in 20-30 minutes give you enough juice to get to get you to a plug somewhere. When the tow truck gets home for the evening they plug in a recharge the "appliance".

Back