Adapting conductive AVCON to J1773 plug with just wiring

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheffield said:
I checked in with Clipper Creek. The rewiring of the Avcon chargers to J1772 is scheduled to start in May and complete in June. With luck that will be a more accurate schedule than Leaf delivery schedules have been. :D

So no need to do an adapter soon. Finally.

Well here we are in July and I haven't seen any conversions, and there are PLENTY of Avcon chargers out there for the usin'. Do you think it's worth building/buying a converter box for the modified 12/16A EVSE?

Yes, definitely. The pace of Avcon upgrades/replacements has been very slow. Unfortunately, Meltric Corp, the only source of Avcon receptacles I'd know of charges $251.60 plus shipping for a vehicle inlet with pilot emulator. All said and done, the total cost will likely eclipse $300, much like the old EAA adapters. Perhaps Meltric would let us negotiate a better price if we placed a group order?

Some guys on the Volt forum are converting their Voltecs into portable chargers.
One guy actually has an Avcon -> NEMA 14-50 adapter, into which he plugs his Voltec, and then throws the whole shebang into his back seat to charge:

attachment.php

He could do away w/ the Voltec by just wiring the Avcon adapter box directly to a J1772 cable.
At least he's got something that works, though!
Here's the thread it came from: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?6431-portable-220-charger-avcon-adapter-rig

I'm getting frustrated by the lack of progress in converting Avcon's in my area.
Currently looking for a cheap inlet to DIY an adapter.

I made one and sold it. The inlet is under $200 and one can make the pilot signal for about $3. I would bet they could sell these off cheaply as they will likely be useless soon.

lincomatic said:
He could do away w/ the Voltec by just wiring the Avcon adapter box directly to a J1772 cable...
If he did that, he'd have to buy a very expensive (as you know!) J1772 connector, though the cable could be nice and short. The Avcon inlet was probably expensive enough, though.

davewill said:
lincomatic said:
He could do away w/ the Voltec by just wiring the Avcon adapter box directly to a J1772 cable...
If he did that, he'd have to buy a very expensive (as you know!) J1772 connector, though the cable could be nice and short. The Avcon inlet was probably expensive enough, though.

True.. I was thinking about the bulk of the Voltec.. why not just take the cable off and use that, but keeping the Voltec as a portable unit has usefulness in other situations.

EVDRIVER said:
I made one and sold it. The inlet is under $200 and one can make the pilot signal for about $3. I would bet they could sell these off cheaply as they will likely be useless soon.

I've heard that they'll be useless soon, but I keep seeing Avcon chargers everywhere, none of which have been upgraded to the Yazaki plug. Does anyone know of any chargers which have actually been updated under the program?

Converting a Clipper Creek (AKA 'EVI') Avcon to J1772:
http://www.tzev.com/j1772_avcon_head_connector_conversion.html

If anyone is interested in owning one to adapt for thier own use, I have one J1772 Avcon conductive charging unit I would very much like to find a home for. This one has never been used or installed. I have had it since my 2000 Ford EV lease. I do not know how or want to attempt the adapting myself.

Back