Adapting conductive AVCON to J1773 plug with just wiring

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrovetom

Has anyone seen an adapter that would allow the use of the 600 AVCON charging stations in California while we are waiting for Clipper Creek to upgrade them with their grant?

My understanding is that the AVCON conductive interface is compatible with the J1773 Level 2 except the connector. Apparently the 1KHz pilot signal technique used by AVCON is identical for Level 2 32A applications with J1773. This would mean that no electronics would be needed, just an AVCON receptacle in a NEMA box and the L1, L2, ground and pilot properly wired to the correct J1773 cable wires and to the connector. If one could buy an old AVCON receptacle, install it in the box, bring the J1773 cable with connector into the box and wire it correctly and you have an adapter.

Does anyone know of any problems other than the obvious electrical safety issues?

pgrovetom said:
Has anyone seen an adapter that would allow the use of the 600 AVCON charging stations in California while we are waiting for Clipper Creek to upgrade them with their grant?

My understanding is that the AVCON conductive interface is compatible with the J1773 Level 2 except the connector. Apparently the 1KHz pilot signal technique used by AVCON is identical for Level 2 32A applications with J1773. This would mean that no electronics would be needed, just an AVCON receptacle in a NEMA box and the L1, L2, ground and pilot properly wired to the correct J1773 cable wires and to the connector. If one could buy an old AVCON receptacle, install it in the box, bring the J1773 cable with connector into the box and wire it correctly and you have an adapter.

Does anyone know of any problems other than the obvious electrical safety issues?
1773?

pgrovetom said:

J1772 is the standard you're thinking of, and yes you are correct about AVCON being the same as J1772 (L1, L2, Pilot, and Proximity pins) just with a different plug.

I haven't been able to find an AVCON receptacle for some time now, but sure if you found one, you could throw a J1772 plug off of it and be able to plug it into a car and it would charge fine.

DarkStar said:
pgrovetom said:

J1772 is the standard you're thinking of, and yes you are correct about AVCON being the same as J1772 (L1, L2, Pilot, and Proximity pins) just with a different plug.

I haven't been able to find an AVCON receptacle for some time now, but sure if you found one, you could throw a J1772 plug off of it and be able to plug it into a car and it would charge fine.
I just completed the wiring for this on Friday ... and successfully charged the LEAF. Except there are a few issues. They may be "pilot" error (no pun intended; I mean "operator" and/or equipment); so until I have more time coming mid-week ... take the following issues with a grain of salt. If the LEAF is on timed-charging, the button to cancel the timer is inoperative. And I am getting multiple "Charging Complete" notifications (02:24, 03:33, 05:33, 08:51, so far).

Are the resistors and switch on the J1772 "nozzle's" Proximity pin the correct values?

Are you getting a steady +12v DC out of the Control Pilot pin before it is plugged into the car?

LEAFer said:
ICS200. I converted to plug-in with NEMA14-50.
Another Electric Vehicle Infrastructure manufactured EVSE I see.

I had issues with the Leaf timers after I adapted my EVI MCS 100-3 EVSE since it turned out to be programmed to only send out the pilot only once per plug in cycle. Your issue seems completely different though.

Did you happen to find a reasonably priced source for the Yazaki J1772 plug and cable assembly? I sent back the Yazaki plug and cable I purchased from Clipper Creek for $350 plus tax and shipping for a refund in hopes that the price will come down eventually.

I believe the original poster is looking for something more along the lines of this though http://www.evnut.com/charge_adapter_avcon.html but could simply be a pass through from the Avcon connector to the Yazaki connector. I would think the old Avcon receptacles would be hard to come by these days.

It appears thet his box (linked above) turns ON the old Avcon EVSE and provides basically an always-ON 240v wall socket. To charge the LEAF, a plugin L2 J1772 EVSE would also be needed.

I believe the OP wanted a similar box with the Avcon input socket, but connect a J1772 cord's 4 wires (e-hose and nozzle) directly to the Avcon wires, using the original Avcon EVSE. Basically, an adapter cord to attach to the existing connector at the end of an Avcon charge cord, with the adapter ending in the J1772 plug. A "Avcon to J1772" Adapter cord.

garygid said:
It appears thet his box (linked above) turns ON the old Avcon EVSE and provides basically an always-ON 240v wall socket. To charge the LEAF, a plugin L2 J1772 EVSE would also be needed.

I believe the OP wanted a similar box with the Avcon input socket, but connect a J1772 cord's 4 wires (e-hose and nozzle) directly to the Avcon wires, using the original Avcon EVSE. Basically, an adapter cord to attach to the existing connector at the end of an Avcon charge cord, with the adapter ending in the J1773 plug. A "Avcon to J1772" Adapter cord.
Yes, I agree on both paragraphs (except for that "3" in J1773). The way the adapter box (linked above) turns on the old Avcon EVSE is via a capacitor, a diode and a resistor hooked to ground on the Avcon's Pilot Wire, making the Avcon think the vehicle is connected. This causes the Avcon to turn on its contactor and provide continuous 240V (or whatever the supply voltage into the Avcon is) to the NEMA14-50R.

It's easy enough to modify that box, circumvent the "fake vehicle-connected" circuit and pass the Avcon Pilot Wire to the neutral pin of the NEMA14-50. This is essentially what I have done.

My troubles could be cause by the (old and tired) EVI ICS200 or some intermittent issue in the cables. More testing next week.

garygid said:
I am very much thanking you.
My "3" has been changing to "2",
so I an standing up correctedly. :D
Ooops ... and I stand corrected also ( edited above ) ... there's also a capacitor involved.

Spies said:
I had issues with the Leaf timers after I adapted my EVI MCS 100-3 EVSE since it turned out to be programmed to only send out the pilot only once per plug in cycle. Your issue seems completely different though.
Yes, I remember. And, yes, different issue(s).

Spies said:
Did you happen to find a reasonably priced source for the Yazaki J1772 plug and cable assembly? I sent back the Yazaki plug and cable I purchased from Clipper Creek for $350 plus tax and shipping for a refund in hopes that the price will come down eventually.
I thought I did. $185 total. But when it arrived it turns out ... there was some miscommunications ... and I had been shipped an inlet rather than a plug (!). Anyway, what I ended up with is ... trading some "sweat equity" for a used J-plug.

Spies said:
I believe the original poster is looking for something more along the lines of this though http://www.evnut.com/charge_adapter_avcon.html but could simply be a pass through from the Avcon connector to the Yazaki connector. I would think the old Avcon receptacles would be hard to come by these days.
Not sure if the EAA still has some ... but I think this route is *NOT* worth it, except in the very short term. The Avcons should be upgraded to the new J1772 soon.

Yes I made a typo with the 1773 ( 3 = 2) and was meaning 1772. I've read the answers but I'm still unclear if there are any hitches. I've got the AVCON receptacle pin out on a schematic of the AVCON I found online. Its a super-set of the J1772. I also read the pilot pin signaling ( 1KHz duty cycle and voltages) is identical except well above 32A. The author was not talking about a AVCON to J1772 adapter but the actual AVCON charger schematic and mentioned they were the same. I'm just wondering if there is some subtle hitch like start-up that isn't obvious. I have a J1772 20' cable and connector and if I could just find an old AVCON receptacle laying around ( maybe EBAY) and inexpensive, it would be worth a try as I see no effort by Clipper Creek to upgrade the AVONs (even though I read they got a grant) and I've seen many and read there are 600 in CA. I'm finding it tough to find J1772s in usable places and many are in use a quite often according to the map. I've run into many AVCONs that are not being used. Its just hard to wait another year to feel ok about driving into the city ( about 100 miles round trip).

Yes, you basically can cut off the avcon plug and replace it with a Yazaki type J1772-2010 connector/handle. Some of the Avcon charging stations had a start button that must be pressed, so timer charging will not work on the Leaf, but standard charging with the timers disable is no problem.

There are bugs in the Leaf with regards to the Timer disable switch on the dash. (doesn't always seem to work properly) So the best way it to make sure all timers are disabled on the touch-screen before shutting off the car if you intend to charge at a public station.

-Phil

I checked in with Clipper Creek. The rewiring of the Avcon chargers to J1772 is scheduled to start in May and complete in June. With luck that will be a more accurate schedule than Leaf delivery schedules have been. :D

So no need to do an adapter soon. Finally.

Back