?a quiet chime-or bell-can be heard at slow speed?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdh

What could this curiously quiet chime (or bell or ding-sound) be?

The chime can be heard after about 10-15 minutes driving or upon restart but not when the car is started up after charging.
It is a pleasant sound.
It is so quiet it can only be heard at low speed (10-20mph), with the blower and radio off.
There are no warning messages displayed on the dashboard - whether or not the car is in motion.
It seems to rings at random intervals - about every 30-60 seconds, only when the car is in motion.
Doesn't seem to be tied to specific distance, time or speed.
Because we never noticed this until recently - after 18 months of driving - we wondered if we had left something in the car.
We've looked around and think that it must be coming from under the dash.
Sounds like the 'courtesy' chime some cars use for the seatbelt warning.

The only things that have changed recently:
1) drained the 12V battery completely - had to disconnect and recharge the battery.
(hint: don't leave the car plugged into the charger for many days w/o driving!)
All seemed normal except needed to reprogram the charging schedule & clock.

2) finally drove to the end of "Turtle" mode and had to tow the car (about 500 yards) to the charger.
The car recharged normally and drives the same as always.

Other than this curiously quiet chime, the car seems to behave normally.

I remember this came up before and it was determined to be the wifes cell phone that she left in her husbands car, alerting that it had a low battery. :lol:

Our 2012 LEAF does the same thing when we approach my sister's house. It only does it then! As you say it is a very pleasant tone, so we just think the car is happy to arrive. We also think that technically, somehow we put her address in the destinations computer and some how designated that as a special spot. The sound is so pleasant and we go there so infrequently that we haven't researched it more, but I think that is the root cause. I will follow this post to see if any of the experts can tell you what it is.

cdh said:

Depending on how you have the car set up, there is a chime that sounds if the ambient temperature drops to a certain point (32F, iirc). I was reminded of this a couple of weeks ago when it finally got cold enough to trigger as I happened to be driving home around 02:00 from some late work. Took me a moment to figure out. There's also a notice on the dash when it happens.

Nubo said:
cdh said:

Depending on how you have the car set up, there is a chime that sounds if the ambient temperature drops to a certain point (32F, iirc). I was reminded of this a couple of weeks ago when it finally got cold enough to trigger as I happened to be driving home around 02:00 from some late work. Took me a moment to figure out. There's also a notice on the dash when it happens.
I have no Leaf, but the temp is probably 37 F. I had two Nissans before that would warn you (w/o audio) w/an ICY indicator if the temp fell to 37 F.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?&f=27&t=10361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; mentions 37 F.

I am lazy. You're right. Per the manual the chime sounds at 37F.

So anyway, that might have been the cause.

FWIW, the reason it's usually 37/38F instead of true freezing is because that's the temperature at which black ice can start to appear - particularly on overpasses.

Thanks for all of the thoughts on this chime.
The temperature chime (37-38F) occurs once only, and there is also info (Low Outside Temperature) on the dashboard screen.
The cell phone (searching) sounds possible, but in this case, we don't need to have a cell phone present - and the sound is not coming from a cell phone.
The destination (something to do with the map/nav function) sounds like a possible - I have noticed that the car seems to 'think' it has a destination programmed, although I can't remember putting anything into the system. . . Will dig into the nav system to look for any addresses . .

Thanks!

I recently programmed the nav system so that a specific location had a "sound" and "special icon" on the map. There are lots of options. Sounds like somebody was playing around and set something.

The nav dings when entering an intersection where it thinks you're supposed to turn, so that's my guess (since you said it happens when you're going slow, which, presumably, would mean you're going through an intersection).

Back