736 KM (460 miles) WITHOUT CHARGING in converted Mazda5 EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NasGoreList

Maybe Tesla has some competition in Slovenia :)

The fact that small outfits can now produce these kind of results is very encouraging!

http://eauto.si/en/700km-without-charging/

METRON-7-ZA-STRAN_eng-1024x935.png

more info about the car:
http://eauto.si/en/metron7-2/

stradun51-1024x768.jpg

DaveinOlyWA said:
very nice but at what cost? 98 kwh total battery has to be expensive

Quite impressive - the second link states they have 86kWh capacity - the 98 number references the number of cells. This puts them VERY close to the Tesla 85kWh.

So - I haven't kept track of the maximum 'real world' range on the 85kWh Tesla, and I wonder how 'typical' this result may be (can't be their normal drive it they herald it as a record), but impressive none the less.

The vehicle also does't have that "hyper-miler low drag" look either.

Slow1 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
very nice but at what cost? 98 kwh total battery has to be expensive

Quite impressive - the second link states they have 86kWh capacity - the 98 number references the number of cells. This puts them VERY close to the Tesla 85kWh.

So - I haven't kept track of the maximum 'real world' range on the 85kWh Tesla, and I wonder how 'typical' this result may be (can't be their normal drive it they herald it as a record), but impressive none the less.

The vehicle also does't have that "hyper-miler low drag" look either.

oh, ok. I read it to say 86 kwh main pack with 12 kwh auxiliary pack

Wonder what the weight disadvantage would be if constructed to U.S. safety standards ... not that it might not be already ... but I'm thinking not.

NasGoreList said:
interesting that they have kept the 5 sp gearbox

ya, notice weaker motor despite much heavier weight. vehicle look aerodynamic but that does not factor into standing starts. interesting to see how well the tranny holds up to that much low end torque

DaveinOlyWA said:
NasGoreList said:

ya, notice weaker motor despite much heavier weight. vehicle look aerodynamic but that does not factor into standing starts. interesting to see how well the tranny holds up to that much low end torque

hm not sure how they worked that out. electric motor does not idle/spin with foot off the accelerator pedal so in that sense you could put it in the first/second gear, release the clutch and then press the accelerator..I think clutch(taking off) and to some extent gear syncros (higher gear shifts) will take most abuse due to the instant torque. but that could be taken care of with some smart ecu programming to limit the torque based on the vehicle speed/gear selection.

NasGoreList said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
NasGoreList said:

hm not sure how they worked that out. electric motor does not idle/spin with foot off the accelerator pedal so in that sense you could put it in the first/second gear, release the clutch and then press the accelerator..I think clutch(taking off) and to some extent gear syncros (higher gear shifts) will take most abuse due to the instant torque. but that could be taken care of with some smart ecu programming to limit the torque based on the vehicle speed/gear selection.

Alternatively could one ignore the entire manual transmission when driving and leave it in one gear all the time? As you said - when in 'idle' the electric motor won't spin.

I know two people with conversions who kept the manual gearbox. The clutch is not used from start (no need) but only for changing gears. I've heard others with more powerful motors just keep it in second gear all the time.

Most DIY electric car conversion I have followed (and one fork lift motor suzuki swift I've driven) still use the manual gear box with a clutch pedal. 2nd gear is the drive of choice for almost all driving, some will shift at highway speeds.

The main reason I've heard is for having an emergency disconect.

This really doesn't impress me much. They probably have next to no safety reserve in the battery and have used close to 100% of it, they blocked off all cooling, yes they say it's because the system doesn't need it, but would that hold true if they sold that car worldwide and it could be used anywhere with ac and hard driving, ie outback or death valley. I know if I pump up my tires to 50 psi and drive on roads with a 70km limit I can easily hold over 7.65km/kwhr (which is what they avg if they had 14km left like they said). If you gave me a usuable 98kwhr in my leaf I think I could do over 800km.

AFAIK, Lithium polymer cells have the highest energy density, but they are also the most prone to thermal runaway.

JeremyW said:
I know two people with conversions who kept the manual gearbox. The clutch is not used from start (no need) but only for changing gears. I've heard others with more powerful motors just keep it in second gear all the time.

I converted an Eagle Talon back in 2008. I kept the manual gearbox as it was the easiest way to connect the electric motor into the car and have it power the wheels. I completely removed the clutch and the clutch pedal, though. If I wanted to change gears, all I needed to do was let off the accelerator pedal. That would remove any tension on the gears and I could easily shift. If your electric motor has enough voltage to do the high RPMs, you can leave it un 2nd gear most of the time. On the highway it may be more efficient to shift to a higher gear.

Back