6.6kw vs 3.3kw

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotd77

Hello guys,

I have 2015 leaf QS model (basic with QC on board and 6.6kw)
I have notice that my leaf start charging little slower than before because I usually charge before go to bed. one day I charge during the day and it took quite long to get full charge with 6.6kw // 240kw on board. so I decided to check one more place before I ask dealer or come here and post. Turn on the display on the car and check the charging time display. It used to show 3 different times with 3 different categories. For example, with 27 miles left (approx. 30% left on battery), it used to show .........
240kw 6kw / 4:00
240kw 3kw / 6:00
120kw / 17:30

now, first and second line show same charging time.

is this Normal?

I am thinking to visit dealer ship but, if this is not critical then I wont waste my time to go service center.

let me know please.

Thank you!

Ted

The time estimates aren't that accurate.
gotd77 said:

is this Normal?
What % SoC (per dash display) are you at when that happens?

Keep in mind, that as you get closer to full, the 6 kW and 3 kW times can get pretty close, likely because of the ramp down and bounce phase as you get really close to 100%. See graphs at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=338038#p338038.

I probably wouldn't worry about it. If you had Leaf Spy, you can see some charging wattage values while charging.

cwerdna said:
The time estimates aren't that accurate.
gotd77 said:

is this Normal?
What % SoC (per dash display) are you at when that happens?

Keep in mind, that as you get closer to full, the 6 kW and 3 kW times can get pretty close, likely because of the ramp down and bounce phase as you get really close to 100%. See graphs at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=338038#p338038.

I probably wouldn't worry about it. If you had Leaf Spy, you can see some charging wattage values while charging.

Well.. What does that mean SoC? forgive me if my guess is wrong. My Battery life shows 27% left when I check. and 240kw/6kw was 6hrs to charge and also 240kw/3kw is 6hrs charge as well. that does not seem correct to me...
thanks

gotd77 said:
] Well.. What does that mean SoC? forgive me if my guess is wrong. My Battery live shows 27% left when I check. and 240kw/6kw was 6hrs to charge and also 240kw/3kw is 6hrs charge as well. that does not seem correct to me...
thanks
SoC = State of Charge

If the car's SoC display says 27%, then I'd agree that that the 240V 6kW and 240V 3 kW times being both 6 hours is weird.

On a 2013-2015 with 6.x kW OBC (which would have all 3 lines), from 27%, there's no way it will take 6 hours to go to 100%. And, I've never seen estimates that high on my '13 SV (also w/6 kW OBC), even from lower SoC.

For 3 kW, 6 hours is probably close to right.

I don't know what a "QS" model is, but if you have the S trim w/"charge package" (CHAdeMO inlet + 6.x kW) OBC, that means you have no telematics (no Carwings/Nissan Connect), so you won't get notified by Nissan when the car finishes charging. I know because I receive emails. And, if I started my own session at work on Chargepoint stations, I can monitor its status via graph and also get charging complete notifications an emails from Chargepoint.

Do you charge on a 30+ amp L2 (208/240 volt) EVSE? If so, how long does it really take?

gotd77 said:
smkettner said:
What are you charging with?
I modified charger at home. dedicated 240kw level 2 charge.
For L1 and L2 AC charging, charging is on-board the car. You're plugging into an EVSE. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14728&p=332668#p332668.

It's impossible you have a 240 kW charger or whatever at home. 240 kW = 240,000 watts.

What is this modified unit? What is its max amperage and what voltage are you charging at?

cwerdna said:
gotd77 said:
] Well.. What does that mean SoC? forgive me if my guess is wrong. My Battery live shows 27% left when I check. and 240kw/6kw was 6hrs to charge and also 240kw/3kw is 6hrs charge as well. that does not seem correct to me...
thanks
SoC = State of Charge

If the car's SoC display says 27%, then I'd agree that that the 240V 6kW and 240V 3 kW times being both 6 hours is weird.

On a 2013-2015 with 6.x kW OBC (which would have all 3 lines), from 27%, there's no way it will take 6 hours to go to 100%. And, I've never seen estimates that high on my '13 SV (also w/6 kW OBC), even from lower SoC.

For 3 kW, 6 hours is probably close to right.

I don't know what a "QS" model is, but if you have the S trim w/"charge package" (CHAdeMO inlet + 6.x kW) OBC, that means you have no telematics (no Carwings/Nissan Connect), so you won't get notified by Nissan when the car finishes charging. I know because I receive emails. And, if I started my own session at work on Chargepoint stations, I can monitor its status via graph and also get charging complete notifications an emails from Chargepoint.

Do you charge on a 30+ amp L2 (208/240 volt) EVSE? If so, how long does it really take?

Thank you for reply!
I honestly don't know because I charge before go to bed. around 11pm and get up at 7 am and its 100%. that's plenty of time to charge so hard to gauge. well, one time I was charging during day for 2hrs at 79% SoC. it did not get 100% with L2 EVSE for two hour...

cwerdna said:
gotd77 said:
smkettner said:
What are you charging with?
For L1 and L2 AC charging, charging is on-board the car. You're plugging into an EVSE. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14728&p=332668#p332668.

It's impossible you have a 240 kW charger or whatever at home. 240 kW = 240,000 watts.

What is this modified unit? What is its max amperage and what voltage are you charging at?

I am not sure honestly...tech guys did it for me. But, my guess is 40A max.

thanks

^^^
We need to know more about this modified EVSE.

If for example, it could output 20 amps at max and it's being fed 240 volts, the max output is 4.8 kW. So, in 1 hour, the car would've drawn 4.8 kWh, but not all of that makes it into the battery, as there are charging losses (running pumps, lost as heat, etc.). If charging efficiency is 90% (I don't know the figure off-hand), 4.32 kWh makes it into the battery each hour when it's going at full speed. 2013-2015 Leaf has 24 kWh battery and when new, has about 21 to 22 kWh usable.

But, as you saw from the graph I pointed to, as you go to 100%, on that graph, from about time 105 minutes to time 156 minutes, it is in ramp down phase (not going at full speed, so not drawing the max wattage). IIRC, around the beginning of that, the car's % SoC display will be somewhere in the mid to high 90s or so...

From about time 156 minutes to 186 minutes, it's doing its bounce thing, so very little energy is making into the battery.

gotd77 said:
cwerdna said:
gotd77 said:

Modified from what? Is it a modified Nissan L1 120 volt EVSE? If so, I don't think those can safely be modified to go above 16 or 20 amps, depending on the unit (e.g. these guys do it right: http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2 and http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=28).

cwerdna said:
^^^
We need to know more about this modified EVSE.

If for example, it could output 20 amps at max and it's being fed 240 volts, the max output is 4.8 kW. So, in 1 hour, the car would've drawn 4.8 kWh, but not all of that makes it into the battery, as there are charging losses (running pumps, lost as heat, etc.). If charging efficiency is 90% (I don't know the figure off-hand), 4.32 kWh makes it into the battery each hour when it's going at full speed. 2013-2015 Leaf has 24 kWh battery and when new, has about 21 to 22 kWh usable.

But, as you saw from the graph I pointed to, as you go to 100%, on that graph, from about time 105 minutes to time 156 minutes, it is in ramp down phase (not going at full speed, so not drawing the max wattage). IIRC, around the beginning of that, the car's % SoC display will be somewhere in the mid to high 90s or so...

From about time 156 minutes to 186 minutes, it's doing its bounce thing, so very little energy is making into the battery.

gottcha... well.. the thing is it was not doing this before...for example if I came home and my SoC shows around 30% then usually my 6.6k will charge 100% in 4hr and 3.3k will charge in 6 or 7 hours...use to be.. now they are identical why?

cwerdna said:
gotd77 said:
cwerdna said:

Modified from what? Is it a modified Nissan L1 120 volt EVSE? If so, I don't think those can safely be modified to go above 16 or 20 amps, depending on the unit (e.g. these guys do it right: http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2 and http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=28).

what I mean by modify EVSE is I did not have 240 out let at the garage and electrician had to do some work to make 240 out let in my garage. and my EVSE was 120v and I sent to guys in bay area to upgrade my original L1 EVSE to L2 240V capable EVSE and I am happy with it and used over year and had no problem. also my leaf was charging fine until I found this little issue. I probably never known if is did not check the display of charging time.

thx

EVSEUpgrade is 16 amp default and 3.3kW charging afaik. Charge at 30+ amps (6.0 kW) a few times and see if the car relearns the time vs power difference.

What size breaker is on the 240 volt circuit?

Back