6.6 kw charger on 2013 S model.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the right color ids for the circular F23 connector, but the colors inside the PDM are unknown.

The two 2-pin connectors on that chademo board are the drive signals for the main dcqc contactors, + on the left and - on the right.

There is a HV isolation gap milled into the board and the voltage measurement is sent across that pair of photocoupler ICs that bridge the gap. A voltage divider resistor circuit is used to scale down the HV to a lower level that the PC can handle.

Was that foam plug already in the PDM, or did you add that to seal off the chademo opening?

While you have it open, check all the fuses.
I added the foam plug to seal off the chademo opening. could that effect the HV isolation gap?

No i don't think that would affect anything, just keep out dirt, bugs and water.

i made edits to my previous post that you should review.

Green and Green/BlackPXL_20240418_220024596.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240418_200618554.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240418_200618554.MP.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20240418_200930273.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240418_200930273.MP.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20240418_201235293.jpg
    PXL_20240418_201235293.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240418_202427450.jpg
    PXL_20240418_202427450.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Is there any resistance reading or continuity between the pins on the control board that the white connector with the G and G/Black wire plugs into?

Maybe you can ring out the path of the Green and Green/Black circuits on the board--do they exit the board on one of those little 2 pin connectors on the edge?

Removing the board may damage it as its part of a larger structure.
After studying Dala's "Adding fast charging" i think he has a working solution for my problem if I could understand exactly what he did.
Dala did a fast and dirty job. Behind the glove compartment he soldering one wire into the VCM.
Connecting the Pilot and Proximity wires to to a "box" that were missing 5 wires because the car came without FC.
A relay and fuse to give power to turn on the FC.
I think Fast and Dirty means he left out the sensing wires from going through the PDM.

Do you understand what he did? PXL_20240419_173839439.jpg

I think Fast and Dirty means he left out the sensing wires from going through the PDM.
Nope, the wires do go straight to the PDM, however part of them (between the Chademo port and the block connector show on the video) is not there on non-QC cars, Dala just bypassed that part. The VCM wiring is a bit of a hack but functionally identical to a stock car with QC.

Any continuity between the yellow wires of CN711 and CN712? No need to remove any circuit boards, just probe the pins or solder junctions.

Any continuity between the yellow wires of CN711 and CN712? No need to remove any circuit boards, just probe the pins or solder junctions.
25 ohms between CN711 between pin 1 and 2
same with CN712
25 ohms between CN711 and CN711 (do you need pin 1 to pin 2, 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc?

I can connect the correct color wires to this. What is it called?
I don't understand what they connect to in this box or where the other end goes.

Attachments

• PXL_20240419_190834013.jpg
    PXL_20240419_190834013.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Do you understand what he did?
I think his quick and dirty idea was to intercept the wires from the Power Delivery Module (PDM) to the CHAdeMO connector at the large round connector at the firewall (?) at the back of the hood. I would have found where they exit the PDM, since it's a lot shorter from there to the CHAdeMO connector than going all the way back to the firewall then forward to the CHAdeMO connector.

He mentioned the interlock problem briefly, but did not elaborate on what he did. Interlocks are usually just direct connections from interlock in to interlock out. It's just designed to detect when a plug is not in place. So he possibly just joined the orange and pink wires together inside the PDM. This defeats the plug missing check, but doing it properly would require getting access to the back of the large round connector. From the wiring diagram he printed, it looks like you only need three [ edit: four, see Edit 1 below ] extra wires to the CHAdeMO connector: CANH, CANL, and CAN ground (earth). Note that CAN GND seems to be missing from an earlier post here, compared with the diagram Dala found. CAN ground seems to be pin 5 of F23. It's probably worth twisting at least CANH and CANL lightly, or perhaps all three CAN wires.

You still need that extra wire in the VCU, to activate the quick-charge relay, and of course you need the quick-charge relay itself and its fuse. He didn't say why he needed to obtain power from somewhere, but I think the reason is that they leave out the wiring that should go to the relay to give it power. It's possible he didn't even plug the relay in where it's supposed to go, as there is no wiring there. I have no idea how hard it would be to get to the wiring under the relay socket. Perhaps he just siliconed the relay in place, to stop it moving about.

Edit 1: Four wires. There is also pin 9, which goes to the quick charge relay. This is presumably the power in from the relay. The extra wire in the VCU connects to the coil, and the other end of the coil goes to +12 V via the new fuse.

Edit 2: IF the wiring is missing from under the relay, you will have to replace those with your own as well. From Dala's video:

1713618553968.png

1713618567792.png

Pin 2 of the relay appears to be power to the quick charge board, and that's pin 9 of the large round connector (F23).

Last edited:
I can connect the correct color wires to this..what is it called?
I think that's the large round connector, F23 (see previous page). Note that you are missing the top row (pins 1-9) on this harness. Dala ended up with a new harness that does have these wires. If you don't have a new harness, you'll have to trace back to the quick charge board and add the four wires.

I don't understand @nlspace where is says that this is where the interconnect goes. Is there a diagram missing perhaps? Or maybe it's not showing for me?
So I'm confused as well, sorry.

Sorry for any confusion, i don't have any schematic or traced out PDM, but have tried to puzzle this out based upon teardowns and pictures.

i assumed there was an interlock based upon the presence of one in the HVJB of the earlier models. The path is completed thru the HV connectors, with a jumper in the connector, and a little 2-wire connector inside the box (red, white wire colors).

i have waffled back and forth about the function of the CN711 and CN712 connectors on the Chademo board inside the PDM. Based upon the resistance reading reported in post # 89 ,i'm back to thinking that these are the Chademo Contactor coil connections, or Contactor position indicators.

This one show the interlock pins from the VCM 72,73 to the PDM 15,12 in the Green connector F23
I meant to post that this is the part that confused me, I see no pins 72 or 73 anywhere on the associated diagrams.

I assume you're not short circuiting (mentally) with connectors CN711 and CN712.

The vast number of connectors involved also does my head in.

I meant to post that this is the part that confused me, I see no pins 72 or 73 anywhere on the associated diagrams.

I assume you're not short circuiting (mentally) with connectors CN711 and CN712.

The vast number of connectors involved also does my head in.
fast charge pcb.jpg

Sorry i meant to post these earlier, VCM to PDM wiring from 2013 FSM.

VCM to PDM Interlock.png

pinouts from FSM
VCM E62 Connector pinout.png

E60 Connector Pinout.png

VCM E61 Connector.png
Would it be possible to trace the main pack HV connector interlock wires or determine wire color, etc? Maybe use a flashlight with the cover off and snoop around inside the PDM for some clues.

thanks all for your help.
I would like to implement Dala's conversion to fast charging with the exception
of connecting Fast charging socket and wire harness.
When the conversion is done, then I will buy the harness.

I do not understand the following:
The "box" that Darla connects new wires to (see attached photo)
what is that box called?

Attachments

• PXL_20240419_190834013.jpg
    PXL_20240419_190834013.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Good morning Leaf friends. I have a 2011 Leaf, the battery was replaced four years ago. Now in 2024, only gets 60 ish miles. This is not my primary car, I bought it to experiment with. Using the You-Tube videos from this leaf forum, I will be accessing the high voltage connections to the battery, with the goal of using a tow hitch shelf, portable generator (runs on propane) to charge the high voltage battery while driving. My intent is to get the driving range out to 100 miles or more, so I can transport the car to another city without having to flat bed tow it.

Back